Post a reply

sour Williams !!

Postby Smart

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/14896444.stm

Now the WPBSA are investigating but MJW comes out of this business very badly in my view, as if he is blaming that incident for his loss and moreso blaming the ref for his inability to close out a match.

I would like to see MJW be more of a sport, more of a man about this - afterall this is deflecting the attention from a great comeback and a 2nd ranking win for Selby.

His 1st ranker was somewhat overshadowed by unfortunate comments by ROS, and now the 2nd ranker is overshadowed by Pink/Red-gate.........

All very avoidable this in my honest opinion. :hatoff:

Re: sour Williams !!

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/14896444.stm

Now the WPBSA are investigating but MJW comes out of this business very badly in my view, as if he is blaming that incident for his loss and moreso blaming the ref for his inability to close out a match.

I would like to see MJW be more of a sport, more of a man about this - afterall this is deflecting the attention from a great comeback and a 2nd ranking win for Selby.

His 1st ranker was somewhat overshadowed by unfortunate comments by ROS, and now the 2nd ranker is overshadowed by Pink/Red-gate.........

All very avoidable this in my honest opinion. :hatoff:

thats a good point in-fact Selbys titles are being overshadowed by stuff that has nothing to do with him. all he did was play the shot 3 days later the fact hes the shanghai masters champ is almost forgotten.

Postby Smart

Wild

I watched it back and I thought that Selby conceded it was a foul and MJW accepted it at that point but then wanted it checked. It was then checked and the decision reversed and IMHO the right decision was reached after a bit of a mothers meeting. I feel Eirian is taking stick for something that is not his fault and that Selby is being overshadowed when in fact he is playing and winning snooker matches/tournies.

MJW does not look good, and I think its the being beaten from way in front that is making him this way. Personal opinion, no axe to grind here. :hatoff:

Postby GJ

rexy

:hatoff:

CH williams

:gag: :?

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:Wild

I watched it back and I thought that Selby conceded it was a foul and MJW accepted it at that point but then wanted it checked. It was then checked and the decision reversed and IMHO the right decision was reached after a bit of a mothers meeting. I feel Eirian is taking stick for something that is not his fault and that Selby is being overshadowed when in fact he is playing and winning snooker matches/tournies.

MJW does not look good, and I think its the being beaten from way in front that is making him this way. Personal opinion, no axe to grind here. :hatoff:

i don't blame eirian i know some been thinking it was poor reffing but what was he meant to do in that instance he was on a hiding to nothing depending on who you supported so had he stuck to the foul and a miss we would have still been disusing it as the wrong decision. selby in fact conceded it was a foul not the ref he then went with selby because Selby was the Striker of the Ball and had a lot to lose then Mark Williams was the one that instigated the Video evidence which in my mind totally vindicated that the right decision was reached in the end.....THAT ALL THAT MATTERS SURELY.

i feel Mark williams wanted to prove without doubt it was pink and it backfired because Selby and Eirian (The man in charge) thought red first which it was.

i just don't think players are used to refs making decisions because as you say there is a mothers meeting about every incident on this instance Eirian Williams took charge and id like to see more of that regarding this miss rule every Miss out of a snooker cant be a bloody miss its just easier to call it miss.

Postby Smart

sport is changing - cricket has referrals and this was the first major snooker referral.................Yes I think MJW wanted it to be ruled correctly but in fairness to Eirian he did his best in very difficult situtation without the usual screen we have in UK tournies. I thought Collier stood there like he was in a beauty pagent and really should of advised or given some guidance, cos it dragged on for too long, until EW said "come on we have to restart" or along those lines. Blaming the loss on that one incident is childish in the extreme. There were 18 other frames :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

never seen that from Williams before its definitely getting to him UK,Aussie and now shanghai had he won all 3 to go along with his German title he would have won 4 in 12 months.

Postby GJ

wild

just shows he isnt so immune from pressure as you thought

not so laid back now

Postby PLtheRef

As I said earlier on, Williams' subsequent outbursts regardless of the outcome have been unprofessional at best, and at their worst imply that a deliberate and conscious error was made.

This also leaves me part concerned about the need for any part between Mark Mark and Eirian in the inquiry if it will not adjust any result. - I mean now Ferguson has committed World Snooker to there being no change to Selby winning - should any inquiry conclude that Eirian made the wrong call then its going to cause a lot more problems.

Personally I think any referral system wouldn't work in this sport purely because it would be widely open to tactical abuse.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:As I said earlier on, Williams' subsequent outbursts regardless of the outcome have been unprofessional at best, and at their worst imply that a deliberate and conscious error was made.

This also leaves me part concerned about the need for any part between Mark Mark and Eirian in the inquiry if it will not adjust any result. - I mean now Ferguson has committed World Snooker to there being no change to Selby winning - should any inquiry conclude that Eirian made the wrong call then its going to cause a lot more problems.

Personally I think any referral system wouldn't work in this sport purely because it would be widely open to tactical abuse.

no you got it wrong the inquiry is purely to work out how best to proceed and not discipline the right decision was reached Mark the Williams version got it wrong.

the inquiry i guess will take a look at maybe using TV For more than just the Miss Rule and replacing balls in future.

Postby king.kauto

buck selby, he's no good for the game. Jester from leicester my bottom. Most boring, dull player , after robertson, in the game.
Williams is a true champion, it was a foul all day long.
come on MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Postby SnookerFan

king.kauto wrote:buck selby, he's no good for the game. Jester from leicester my bottom. Most boring, dull player , after robertson, in the game.
Williams is a true champion, it was a foul all day long.
come on MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

rofl

Kauto :wave:

Postby Roland

"It was plain to see that he hit the pink. We didn't need to play it back," added Williams.

I wonder what he thinks now if he's studied the evidence

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
"It was plain to see that he hit the pink. We didn't need to play it back," added Williams.

aparantly he called Hendon late on monday and he was still adament it was pink but he had calmed down not sure how much of footage he had seen at that time but id be very surprised if he still thinks pink now.

Postby mishcka

I think evey player is allowed a slip-down here or there. MJW is great player, great champion...
and most importantly very entrtaining to watch!
I have a feeling that he will come firing in PTC5 and will probably win it!

Postby Wildey

mishcka wrote:I think evey player is allowed a slip-down here or there. MJW is great player, great champion...
and most importantly very entrtaining to watch!
I have a feeling that he will come firing in PTC5 and will probably win it!

not good news for Ronnie he might stay home <laugh>

Postby PLtheRef

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:

aparantly he called Hendon late on monday and he was still adament it was pink but he had calmed down not sure how much of footage he had seen at that time but id be very surprised if he still thinks pink now.

Well yesterday he was adamant that the referee 'made an appalling decision' which suggests that despite viewing it he is insisting

like I said at its best its unprofessional on Mark's behalf, at its worst it is suggesting that a deliberate and conscious mistake was made.

Postby Roland

I think it's reasonable for him to be in denial given how things ended up i.e. losing 10-9. That's what it is though, denial.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think it's reasonable for him to be in denial given how things ended up i.e. losing 10-9. That's what it is though, denial.

and very unlike the persona of Mark Williams he could just brush things aside and move on better than any player ive ever seen but obvioulsly losing finals from ahead is really getting to him.

Postby Roland

This won't affect his ability to win tournaments and the whole thing has in no way made me think any less of him as a person or a snooker player. After all he is Mark J Williams, snooker god.

Postby Sickpotter

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:I think it's reasonable for him to be in denial given how things ended up i.e. losing 10-9. That's what it is though, denial.

and very unlike the persona of Mark Williams he could just brush things aside and move on better than any player ive ever seen but obvioulsly losing finals from ahead is really getting to him.

Agreed. <ok>

I think this is something like his 3rd final loss this season when he was well in control, the match at his mercy.

Losing one is tough to handle, never mind 3 in such a short period and I think his over-reaction to this incident is a reflection of that frustration more than the call itself.

Hope he can buckle down and get over it. Hate to say it but this is the kind of thing that ends careers if the player lacks the mental strength to get over it. :gag:

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:
Wild wrote:

Agreed. <ok>

I think this is something like his 3rd final loss this season when he was well in control, the match at his mercy.

Losing one is tough to handle, never mind 3 in such a short period and I think his over-reaction to this incident is a reflection of that frustration more than the call itself.

Hope he can buckle down and get over it. Hate to say it but this is the kind of thing that ends careers if the player lacks the mental strength to get over it. :gag:

To most players id agree this will be a period that would just eat away at them i still think Mark is the type that can use it to his advantage and like Sonny id not be Surprised that Just like Hendry in 1999 after some Heavy defeats and reversals Mark will be WC in April.

Postby PLtheRef

But after four days to repeatedly make the same insistence is and remains unprofessional. As I've said, the way he has spoken he could be described as suggesting that the officials deliberately ruled in favour of Selby. - That is what is making me think considerably less. - If Mark was to say 'I've looked at it since and to be fair the correct call was made' then I think everyone would respect it, but to continually insist that a mistake was made will eventually erode sympathy - and under the new regime I would state my belief that he could wind up getting into trouble for it.

The fact that he is frustrated having lost yet another game having been in control does not make it any more excusable - in each of those matches he has had chances to secure victory.

Like I said, I think that any involvement of Mark, Mark and Eirian in the inquiry could be dangerous at the moment, unless there was a clear agreement by the three of the result and the outcome of the red/pink debate.

and as stated before, I am opposed to having a DRS challenge system in Snooker due to its potential for tactical abuse.

Postby John From London Town

@Paddy. Hi. There was a mistake made. The mistake was not having the facilities in place in the first place to be able to make a correct decision rather than 'assume'. & we all know what assume does don't we.
WSA need to concentrate on ensuring players & more importantly the ref, do not end up being in this position ever again.

Postby Wildey

John From London Town wrote:@Paddy. Hi. There was a mistake made. The mistake was not having the facilities in place in the first place to be able to make a correct decision rather than 'assume'. & we all know what assume does don't we.
WSA need to concentrate on ensuring players & more importantly the ref, do not end up being in this position ever again.

<ok>

Postby PLtheRef

John From London Town wrote:@Paddy. Hi. There was a mistake made. The mistake was not having the facilities in place in the first place to be able to make a correct decision rather than 'assume'. & we all know what assume does don't we.

Hi John, hope you're well.

Couldn't agree more on that premise in it being available to satisfy a referee's doubt. So long as it does not become a 'concurrence' in a match. I know in matches I've refereed I've given the striker the benefit of the doubt because I think it would be completely wrong to penalise somebody of whom I cannot be certain played a foul stroke. However with any technology a pandoras box comes with in. At the moment Use in the miss rule is important in the replacing of the balls and I think it is a necessity, but it shouldnt be that a referee can refer to the technology mid break, time and time again in a frame. It would could lead to a stage where the referee becomes no longer arbiter of the match.

I remain totally opposed to any form of DRS in Snooker.

The issue I have with the inquiry as I've said involving the three involved on Sunday is dangerous if such an inquiry concluded that the decision made on Sunday should have ruled with Williams, then it will place him in a position of having a genuine complaint, as from where the balls came to rest, along with having a 49 point lead (on the basis of the six being awarded for the foul) Mark Williams had a relatively simple run to the winning line. And with Jason Ferguson confirming that any inquiry would have no bearing on the result then I dont think that the three involved on Sunday can be of any aid, unless it came with the agreement on the decision that Eirian made on Sunday.

Th panel with the inquiry I believe covers the roles which need to be reviewed, it also includes a very experienced referee all of whom will be able to judge the incident from a neutral perspective, which in inquiries such as these is so important.

Postby John From London Town

Thanks PL.
I think we're in agreement. However Bud, the more that I read on, into your reply, & I've read it twice, your biggest concern is the inquiry by the looks of things? I'll leave that one for now & see what becomes of it. Sound.

Postby Wildey

dont worry eirian did nothing wrong within the guidence and situation he found himself in.