Technology ?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 12

Should Technology be used in Snooker ?

Postby Wildey

Following the Red or Pink Incident should Technology be used in Snooker ?

BUT For that to be fair it will have to be implemented in Qualifying aswell....Not fair if a Players Pro Future is in the Hands of Human Error if in the Later Stages they can look at TV Screens with Touch and Go Decitions.

Re: Should Technology be used in Snooker ?

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Following the Red or Pink Incident should Technology be used in Snooker ?

BUT For that to be fair it will have to be implemented in Qualifying aswell....Not fair if a Players Pro Future is in the Hands of Human Error if in the Later Stages they can look at TV Screens with Touch and Go Decitions.

Hawkeye in tennis isnt available at all levels so its not essential that its used in all levels of snooker, though ideally it should be,

To be honest other than using replays for respotting balls correctly (which is already in use) there will be a handful of incidents a season that the ref doesnt pick up on at the time, or there is disagreement between players on which will actually require video consultation.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Following the Red or Pink Incident should Technology be used in Snooker ?

Hawkeye in tennis isnt available at all levels so its not essential that its used in all levels of snooker, though ideally it should be,

To be honest other than using replays for respotting balls correctly (which is already in use) there will be a handful of incidents a season that the ref doesnt pick up on at the time, or there is disagreement between players on which will actually require video consultation.

yes thats a good point.

During wimbledon if you playing on center or court 1 you could challange a call with hawkeye if you on court 16 in the wilderness that was not available.

Postby kostasmad

No...I like the human factor (referee) to have the ability/inability to change the fate of the game...I like to see the tense in the players face when the ref gets it wrong...or else its too robotic....

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:If snooker wants to properly become a modern day game then it has to acknowledge technology.

just like football has :D

You think football is actually out of the dark ages :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:No...I like the human factor (referee) to have the ability/inability to change the fate of the game...I like to see the tense in the players face when the ref gets it wrong...or else its too robotic....

good point.

whatever happened other night would have been pretty dull if technolagy could be looked at.

john mcenroe wouldnt have been the same if there was hawkeye in his time <laugh>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
kostasmad wrote:No...I like the human factor (referee) to have the ability/inability to change the fate of the game...I like to see the tense in the players face when the ref gets it wrong...or else its too robotic....

good point.

whatever happened other night would have been pretty dull if technolagy could be looked at.

john mcenroe wouldnt have been the same if there was hawkeye in his time <laugh>

:gramp:

Postby Wildey

i voted yes <ok>

firstly snooker not tennis and for all intense and perposes refs are glorified ball boys these days it made a change seeing a ref actually make a decition other night.

there will not be many such decitions to be made so might aswell get them right.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:i voted yes <ok>

firstly snooker not tennis and for all intense and perposes refs are glorified ball boys these days it made a change seeing a ref actually make a decition other night.

there will not be many such decitions to be made so might aswell get them right.

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

BTW that was not a dig at refs id just like them making proper judgement calls regarding the miss rule and not follow the letter of the law.

regarding that incident with pink and red it was such a important shot its better to get them right.

Postby Sickpotter

I'm all for it, never have another controversial call issue with simple video footage.

Think of how easy it would be to have any video captured and then projected directly onto the table at real size. You could perfectly replace the balls in any scenario, no guess work.

Seriously, it's all recorded anyway so there's not much extra that needs doing.

You'd have to come up with a new call for the ref's though...... :chin:

When a ref wants to stop play and go to video what does he say?

"foul!!!....maybe....." ;-)

Postby Steve K

I think they just need to have the technology for replays that they use in the Crucible and just have it available for all televised tables at ranking events.

Postby PLtheRef

Wild wrote:BTW that was not a dig at refs id just like them making proper judgement calls regarding the miss rule and not follow the letter of the law.

regarding that incident with pink and red it was such a important shot its better to get them right.

The thing with that Wild is that the only way to get a complete across the board consistncy with decisions in relation to the miss rule is to enforce it to the letter. Its only in that way do the players, the commentators and the referees all know where they stand with it.

Postby Wildey

understand that however common sense could be used and not automaticly called a miss .....what happened on sunday mark williams got snake hissed off because a ref did something that was alien make a decition.

most snooker decitions is clear cut to the extend players call fouls on themselves you just dont get that in many other sports.

dont take this as a insult but anyone from the audience could take balls out for half the cash suerly referee should be about making tough decition as he sees it NOT as the rest of the world sees it.

Postby PLtheRef

Wild wrote:understand that however common sense could be used and not automaticly called a miss .....what happened on sunday mark williams got snake hissed off because a ref did something that was alien make a decition.

most snooker decitions is clear cut to the extend players call fouls on themselves you just dont get that in many other sports.

dont take this as a insult but anyone from the audience could take balls out for half the cash suerly referee should be about making tough decition as he sees it NOT as the rest of the world sees it.

There is a whole lot more to the role of a referee than just picking out the balls. Become a referee and you find out a lot more about the game - join up if its believed to be so simple.

IMO Eirian made a tough decision, he declared it was not a foul until Mark made a challenge to the decision. - That's a decision which as a referee I support and having viewed it another couple of times I still conclusively think that the call was correct.

Remember, Eirian had a much better view of the shot. I'm surprised how Mark could say definitively that Selby played a foul stroke - considering he was the one of the four involved with the most inhibited view yet hes the only one who categorically states he knows what happened. In addition, Mark Williams asked for a replay - which of course leads to the statement that he cant have been sure on what was the right decision.

Mark's outburst was extremely unporfessional at its best, and at worst personally could be seen to making an uncalled for and unproven implication.

Postby Witz78

Didnt the ref declare IT WAS a foul initially?

then cos Williams wanted the balls replaced and Selby put back in, there was a delay during which Selby still protested his innocence and then it came to light that video evidence suggested it was the red not the pink, which caused the ref to suddenly dount himself so he decided to view the replay at which point he then sided with Selby and reversed his decision.

Postby PLtheRef

How it plays out from viewing it is that the shot is played and that no call is made - in this case it is a legal stroke as it would not make sense to say 'no foul' as it can lead to a confusion, - just as a referee does not say 'not touching' when on further inspection on what appears to be a potential touching ball shows that it is not a touching ball.

From what I can see Eirian only refers to 'pink first?' when Mark W challenges the call.

Postby Wildey

so make decisions then.

i don't buy this everyone knows where they stand with miss rule.....

how many times has decision of putting balls back being criticized in the com box but refs now can hide behind "but that what everyone expects" so straight away the responsibility isn't theirs its the bible.

all im saying they are in charge of a match and in THEIR OPINION its not a miss it don't matter what anyone else thinks Commentators,Players Anyone as long as he is treating each shot in his match fairly.