28%
No
50%
Don't care
22%

Total votes : 18

Should Hendry get a Masters wildcard?

Postby Casey

With Stephen Hendry's record breaking run in the top 16 coming to an end he will have to hit the qualifiers like all of the falling stars before him. No player in the game has lasted as long at the top as Hendry has - longest ever run at number 1 and longest ever run in the 16.

However with World snooker yet to make a decision on whether to award wild cards for the Masters, do you think Hendry should get one? I would say its clear this will be his last ever season, so would it be fitting for the 6 time champion, the man who was given the trophy for keeps to have one last appearance?

Re: Should Hendry get a Masters wildcard?

Postby Witz78

who says its his last year apart from you though Case?

Hes gonna look dafter if he retires this year a few months after cancelling his retirement plans and saying he was up for the fight. Only last week he said he wanted to get back into the top 8 after all.

If he cant be fussed fighting back into the top 16 then that cements Davis as the true modern era icon of the game.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:who says its his last year apart from you though Case?

Hes gonna look dafter if he retires this year a few months after cancelling his retirement plans and saying he was up for the fight. Only last week he said he wanted to get back into the top 8 after all.

If he cant be fussed fighting back into the top 16 then that cements Davis as the true modern era icon of the game.

It was much easier for Davis because there was no PTC events. Hendry said he would give it 'one more go', he never said he was coming back for multiple years. He will of course try and get back in there before the end of the season but I don't think he will make it and he also said being in the top 16 was a major fact in him not giving it up last season.

Postby Sickpotter

I don't have a particular issue with it except that Hendry's form of late is dire.

Jimmy was given wildcards and his form was also poor at the time but he's loved by the public and is a big draw no matter what his current form.

Hendry's drawing power was/is relative to how he's playing. Only die hard fans like me want to see him these days and that's just on the hope that he somehow finds a purple patch reminiscent of his good 'ol days.

Unfortunately, ATM, he's a shadow of the player he was so I'd rather the spot go to someone who's at least in form.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

When White got the Wildcard two years ago it was a bit of a novelty as he hadn't played in any of the big events on BBC since 2006. That isn't the case for Hendry. Also the wildcards were dropped for last year so it's not like they have to pick somebody anymore. When Ray Reardon dropped out in the late 80's he wasn't invited back. A big difference between Hendry now and Higgins or White when they dropped out of the Top 16 is that his results are very predictable. You can almost guarantee he will win his first round match with the odd exception but than lose in the last 16. During the late 90's White was all over the place, playing brilliantly sometimes but being rubbish the next day. He was still capable of beating top players in a way Hendry hasn't been for a long time.

Postby Tubberlad

I don't think so. Hearn scrapped the wildcard last year if I remember right. I didn't agree with the Jimmycards, and I wouldn't be in favour of inviting to Hendry. He's a legend of the game, that can't be disputed, but for all we know he might return to the top sixteen and this may not be his last season... and that would make this look a little silly. Besides, he hasn't played well or inspired for an awfully long time.

Postby SnookerFan

Are they having wildcards at The Masters this year? They didn't last year, this question will be rendered irrelevant if there are no wildcards. With the rolling ranking systems they are only necessary if somebody not in the top-16 wins the UK Championship anyway. Unlike previously where a qualifier could have a brilliant few months, and still not be at The Masters.

If they do have them, I still say don't give them to Hendry. I know the temptation is to give it to somebody popular to sell more tickets, but Hendry's form has been so dire this year. Can anybody say he deserves it?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:Are they having wildcards at The Masters this year? They didn't last year, this question will be rendered irrelevant if there are no wildcards. With the rolling ranking systems they are only necessary if somebody not in the top-16 wins the UK Championship anyway. Unlike previously where a qualifier could have a brilliant few months, and still not be at The Masters.

If they do have them, I still say don't give them to Hendry. I know the temptation is to give it to somebody popular to sell more tickets, but Hendry's form has been so dire this year. Can anybody say he deserves it?

Yes your right about the Wildcard being needed if a non top 16 player won the UK, so why not just update the rankings after the UK and then this way the true current top 16 Masters of the game are playing at Ally Pally.

Postby SnookerFan

Who remembers last year at The Masters, they didn't know whether they were having a wildcard round until a couple of weeks before the event? I had tickets to the opening Sunday, and the tickets said the first matchstarted 11am. Though there was no match to be played then.

A week or two beforehand Wembley e-mailed me to apologise, and tell me matches start at 1:30pm instead. :roll: rofl