Post a reply

Chris Small

Postby randam05

Someone mentioned him earlier somewhere. I never ever got to see him in action and never have seen him play. (Am gonna watch some of him later on youtube) But this is probably because he rarely gets mentioned at all. How good was he? Who would you compare him with of today? Would appreciate a few views about him.

Its a shame what happened to him really. Was he a likeable character? Did anyone on here really support him and like to watch him?

Re: Chris Small

Postby Witz78

to be fair even though he was a fellow Scotsman i just couldnt warm to him.

He was a boring version of Mark Davis id say.

Postby GJ

from what i hear he was a slow dull player

so basically a dullard

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:to be fair even though he was a fellow Scotsman i just couldnt warm to him.

He was a boring version of Mark Davis id say.

Wow a boring version of mark davis? That must be boring!

Postby Wildey

Randam

you are one crazy dude . <laugh>

who is next on your never seen list of Players John Campbell,Robbie Foldvari or Marcel Gauvreau rofl

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:Randam

you are one crazy dude . <laugh>

who is next on your never seen list of Players John Campbell,Robbie Foldvari or Marcel Gauvreau rofl

<laugh> why am i one crazy dude?

Well i know hes won a ranking title and all so i guess he was alright..just wanted to know about him!

and hmm ive never heard of them :roll: maybe john campbell i have. Remember ive only been into snooker 4/5 years really!

Postby Wildey

yes names from the long and distance past lol

dont think i ever saw Marcel Gauvreau play well maybe once before dennis became world champ and then talked about it for the next 26+ years <laugh>

Chris Small played at the Crucible 8 Times winning just 3 Matches he made his Debut in 1992 at his first atempt Beating Doug Mountjoy in the first Round Losing to Dene O'Kane in Round 2 who you will see play in the seniors in november.

To win his one and only Title in 2002 he Beat Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins 5-1 in consecative Rounds whitch was no mean feat.

he was a dour player out of the Dave Harold Mould but not a bad breakbuilder

Postby Tubberlad

He wasn't much to watch, but he was no mug, that's for sure. He won the LG Cup, deservedly so, and reached 12th in the rankings the year before he retired.

I remember watching Small play the 2004/05 season, and it made for pretty painful viewing. He was no bad egg, he was very modest after winning the LG Cup and basically said how the win had come at just the right time because things didn't seem to be going too well for himself and his wife financially.

I remember following his last match, agains Shaun Murphy in the 2005 World Championship, and we all know what Murphy went on to do that year. Small put in a very brave effort in the opening session to trail by just one, and he even managed a century. But he failed to win a match all that season, and his physical wellbeing was clearly not what it needed to be. I felt sorry for him.

Postby randam05

Cheers wild and tubber. I like to find out about these players.

And yeah well it doesnt sound like I missed out on much of a great player to watch. But yeah it must have been quite sad really. I wonder how he is getting on these days. No matter what the player they dont deserve something like that!

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Cheers wild and tubber. I like to find out about these players.

And yeah well it doesnt sound like I missed out on much of a great player to watch. But yeah it must have been quite sad really. I wonder how he is getting on these days. No matter what the player they dont deserve something like that!

i think he is ok in himself but you sometime forget the physical requierment needed to play snooker for example if you cant bend your back you knackered basicly.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

i think he is ok in himself but you sometime forget the physical requierment needed to play snooker for example if you cant bend your back you knackered basicly.

reckon if there was World Championships where you had to play shots standing straight up id have a chance, if im in Drago mode i sometimes FORGET to get down on the shot before i hit it <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

reckon if there was World Championships where you had to play shots standing straight up id have a chance, if im in Drago mode i sometimes FORGET to get down on the shot before i hit it <laugh>

Drago mode

does that include shouting at 60+ ex UK Champions <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

Drago mode

does that include shouting at 60+ ex UK Champions <laugh>

give it 18 years and ill shout at Hendry :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

i bet you go outside every house where you think a hendry lives and shout at them.....one day you will get lucky <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i bet you go outside every house where you think a hendry lives and shout at them.....one day you will get lucky <laugh>

one of my mates who was at the Crucible is a plumber and a few years back he actually did work at Hendrys house in Auchterarder so if i feel the urge to go and shout at him, i can soon find out exactly where he stays haha

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:i bet you go outside every house where you think a hendry lives and shout at them.....one day you will get lucky <laugh>

one of my mates who was at the Crucible is a plumber and a few years back he actually did work at Hendrys house in Auchterarder so if i feel the urge to go and shout at him, i can soon find out exactly where he stays haha

i bet he stole his cue on your orders rofl

Postby Roland

Yes not the most exciting player in the world. He played really well when he won the Grand Prix that time but overall he was a schedulers dream - guaranteed back table.