Topic locked

Re: Bank of Communication Shanghai Masters W C/Last 32 Discu

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
could be argued Davis should have got one last season on the back of his efforts in the WC

but they were done away with last year so i dont think Hearn will do a U-Turn this year.

Personally id like to see all previous World Champions on tour invited back to play the Masters since thats the name of the tournament, similar to the golf Masters.

So that would be Davis, Doherty, Ebdon and Hendry would be invited plus as a legend of the game Jimmy would also take a place.

Its invitational anyway so i dont know why it ALWAYS has to be the top 16, in theory it could be any players at Wemb, er Ally Pally

Your proposal is ridiculous.

Hows it ridiculous? Heantr should give the fans what they want to see, we see the top 16 every week virtually, pick the creme of them and throw in some legendsto the mix i say.

Im sure Joe Punter would rather see these 5 players making up the 16 man field than the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham etc

Anyway there was once talk that previous WC would get to the Crucible, even as far back as the early 90s so Reardon, Spencer, Higgins etc when they 1st started failing to qualify.

You could do a new event with all active world champions but you can't trash the 3. biggest tournament.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Casey wrote:
Witz78 wrote:So u wanting Hendo to get a WC to the Masters then Wild haha

I am. Jimmy got one when Hearn knew it would be his last. This is now certain to be Hendry's last season on tour so he deserves the honour even more than Jimmy.

could be argued Davis should have got one last season on the back of his efforts in the WC

but they were done away with last year so i dont think Hearn will do a U-Turn this year.

Personally id like to see all previous World Champions on tour invited back to play the Masters since thats the name of the tournament, similar to the golf Masters.

So that would be Davis, Doherty, Ebdon and Hendry would be invited plus as a legend of the game Jimmy would also take a place.

Its invitational anyway so i dont know why it ALWAYS has to be the top 16, in theory it could be any players at Wemb, er Ally Pally

Hows it ridiculous? Heantr should give the fans what they want to see, we see the top 16 every week virtually, pick the creme of them and throw in some legendsto the mix i say.

Im sure Joe Punter would rather see these 5 players making up the 16 man field than the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham etc

Anyway there was once talk that previous WC would get to the Crucible, even as far back as the early 90s so Reardon, Spencer, Higgins etc when they 1st started failing to qualify.[/quote]

Davis is slightly different in that he didn't have a love affair with the Masters - Hendry won it 6 times and they gave him the trophy.

I'm sure he will be thinking tonight that he should have left it at the Crucible.

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Anyway there was once talk that previous WC would get to the Crucible, even as far back as the early 90s so Reardon, Spencer, Higgins etc when they 1st started failing to qualify.

You could do a new event with all active world champions but you can't trash the 3. biggest tournament.

SO basically then by your logic the Masters was trash until last season cos before that Davis and White and Higgins before them always got wildcards when they werent top 16.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

SO basically then by your logic the Masters was trash until last season cos before that Davis and White and Higgins before them always got wildcards when they werent top 16.

You get me all wrong. There are many class players who aren't World Champions like Ding, Selby and Trump. If you leave these players out and replace them with the likes of Davis and Doherty who have no business in the elite class anymore you make the tournament less competitive and less interesting. And it was a good idea to scrap the wild cards.

Postby Wildey

Table After Day 3

1 Jade 63
2 Randam 61
3 Sunday Girl 61
4 Kostasmad 60
5 Mark Selby No1 Fan 59
6 Snooky147 59
7 Wild 58
8 Go Ronnie 56
9 PL The Ref 55