Post a reply

What is your Favorite Type Of Tournaments ?

The World Championship
42%
The World Open
8%
Standard Ranking Event (inc UK)
19%
PTC
15%
Shot Clock Events (ie PL and Shootout)
8%
Invitational Tournaments (inc Masters)
8%

Total votes : 26

Favorite Tournaments.

Postby Wildey

Since Barry Hearn came on the scene theres been changes to the Snooker Landscapes with Different types of Tournaments.

What is your Favorite Type Of Tournaments ?

The World Championship
The World Open
Standard Ranking Event (inc UK)
PTC
Shot Clock Events (ie PL and Shootout)
Invitational Tournaments (inc Masters)

Pick your 3 Favorites.

Re: Favorite Tournaments.

Postby snooky147

The World Championship. Standard Ranker though I would have much preferred they left the UK untouched and if someone can change my third vote to The Masters please do. My eyes werent working when I first read the options although I do like the PTC's. As for the Shootout, well it's a bit of fun and ok to watch but this new Premier League is rubbish and I have no time for it. The ld format was much better. I do applaud them for trying to change it a bit, but frankly, it's a disaster.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:The World Championship. Standard Ranker though I would have much preferred they left the UK untouched and if someone can change my third vote to The Masters please do. My eyes werent working when I first read the options although I do like the PTC's. As for the Shootout, well it's a bit of fun and ok to watch but this new Premier League is rubbish and I have no time for it. The ld format was much better. I do applaud them for trying to change it a bit, but frankly, it's a disaster.

well basically why i could not differentially between UK and the rest now.

Postby Tubberlad

I don't want to be critical of Hearn because I think he has done an immense job thus far, and I hope he persists in bringing snooker forward. But I must ask, how much does he actually know about formats? Apparently, he ain't the guy who sets out the stall of how tournaments are run in darts, that responsibility lies elsewhere. In snooker however, he is the man calling the shots. To be honest, the Premier League is a mess on paper, and judging by replies here, it's a mess in practice also.

The Welsh Open change was entirely pointless.

The UK Championship change is a disaster. Before anyone gives me any bull about it being the same format as the Masters, the Masters is overrated anyway. It's a cool tournament, and is entertaining, but there's something missing in comparison to the World Championship and the UK in it's former guise. We need at least two 'test match' tournaments, now we're down to one.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
snooky147 wrote:The World Championship. Standard Ranker though I would have much preferred they left the UK untouched and if someone can change my third vote to The Masters please do. My eyes werent working when I first read the options although I do like the PTC's. As for the Shootout, well it's a bit of fun and ok to watch but this new Premier League is rubbish and I have no time for it. The ld format was much better. I do applaud them for trying to change it a bit, but frankly, it's a disaster.

well basically why i could not differentially between UK and the rest now.

nonsense to group it in with the rest just cos its been reduced down to best of 11s.

believe me best of 11 is a massive difference to a best of 9 just as a best of 9 is a massive difference to a best of 7.

funny how snookerfan is nearly in tears when he talks about best of 7s pleading for them to be best of 9s cos its a big difference but best of 11s are a disaster.

sure id have liked best of 17s to stay but best of 11s are still more than the standard rankers so should be a seperate vote for these.

plus the prestige, history of the UK, ranking points available, the new venue , the buzz just before Xmas and the fact its the first full ranker after a 3 month gap etc etc

of course its still the 2nd biggest and worthy of its own bit in the vote.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I don't want to be critical of Hearn because I think he has done an immense job thus far, and I hope he persists in bringing snooker forward. But I must ask, how much does he actually know about formats? Apparently, he ain't the guy who sets out the stall of how tournaments are run in darts, that responsibility lies elsewhere. In snooker however, he is the man calling the shots. To be honest, the Premier League is a mess on paper, and judging by replies here, it's a mess in practice also.

The Welsh Open change was entirely pointless.

The UK Championship change is a disaster. Before anyone gives me any bull about it being the same format as the Masters, the Masters is overrated anyway. It's a cool tournament, and is entertaining, but there's something missing in comparison to the World Championship and the UK in it's former guise. We need at least two 'test match' tournaments, now we're down to one.

yes cant disagree with anything you said there ..

take the Welsh Open they played exactly the same format in Australia as they played in the Welsh Open but best of 9s not best of 7s.....so this bull (to play on 2 tables instead of 3) was exactly that bull.

Postby mediter

I used to like Premier League most, but like Tubberlad wrote it´s a mess now. So don´t like it anymore.

I do like UK most now. It´s the best format there is, isn´t it best of 19 every match, including qualifiers. I like the idea that every match has same lenght. And best of 19 is pretty optimal, in my opinion. So definetely UK !! Plus it´s just before christmas which brings a special athmosphere.

I must say that PTC is pretty good fun.

And shoot out was brilliant. Great saturday night fever !! O´Sullivan made a few brilliant breaks there which probably also affected that I have great memories about it.

Postby Wildey

mediter wrote:I used to like Premier League most, but like Tubberlad wrote it´s a mess now. So don´t like it anymore.

I do like UK most now. It´s the best format there is, isn´t it best of 19 every match, including qualifiers. I like the idea that every match has same lenght. And best of 19 is pretty optimal, in my opinion. So definetely UK !! Plus it´s just before christmas which brings a special athmosphere.

I must say that PTC is pretty good fun.

And shoot out was brilliant. Great saturday night fever !! O´Sullivan made a few brilliant breaks there which probably also affected that I have great memories about it.

UK is best of 11s up to quarters then semi Best of 17 and Final best of 19 but i prefere your version <ok>

Postby mishcka

World champs is the best, it is inhumanely demanding, and it shows the real metal of the players. It is almost impossible to fluke it.
The best of 25 frames is the best format ever... (well if both players are playing to their best it is joy to watch! otherwise it can go horribly wrong). :happy:

Masters is next, because it has special atmosphere... and some classic finals (e.g. 2006 for instance).

UK was good, but god knows how it will go this year. :chin:

PL was OK, but they ruined it, it is no longer snooker, but more like a cue-sport that resembles snooker (vaguely). So it no longer counts! :no:

Postby Steve K

Favourite has to be the world championship, mostly for the prestige it carries but it's always good to see snooker on the TV for so long. Close behind has to be the shootout. I dont enjoy watching the premier league much due to the fact it's a league and i prefer straight knockout tournaments but being able to see all the top 64 players on a televised table in the span of two days is great.

Postby SnookerFan

Is there anybody who doesn't consider the World Championships to be their favourite tournament? Other then Ronnie O'Sullivan who finds it boring.

Postby Wildey

has to be said shot clock not coming out well on here or TSF where im running same poll.

between both Sites

World Championship 33
World Open 3
Normal Rankers 12
PTC 6
Shot Clock 4
Invitational 8