Topic locked

World Seniors Championship

Postby SnookerFan

World Snooker
Make sure you watch the Premier League on Sky tonight as we will be announcing details of the World Seniors and doing the first round draw

Re: Premier League 2011: Week 2 (Guildford)

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:World Snooker
Make sure you watch the Premier League on Sky tonight as we will be announcing details of the World Seniors and doing the first round draw

Robidoux has confirmed on Facebook thats hes invited to this.

Apparantly there are 16 players involved, im going to speculate and go with....

1- JIMMY
2- DAVIS
3 - PARROTT
4 - THORBURN
5 - TAYLOR
6 - REARDON
7 - KIRK STEVENS
8 - ROBIDOUX
9 - BOND
10 - DRAGO
11 - KNOWLES
12 - JOHNSON
13 - HALLETT
14 - MEO
15 - MOUNTJOY
16 - GRIFFITHS

Postby Wildey

Meo wont be there aparantly hes not picked up a que since retiering

griffiths wont be playing either

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Meo wont be there aparantly hes not picked up a que since retiering

why wont El Tel play, hes still coaching so he must still be quite handy, plus hes one of the top names of the 80s.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:heres a few names

Steve James
Darren Morgan
Gary Wilkinson
Dave Harold

Harold is 44 when this event is held :D

fair enough the other 3, be good to see what Steve James looks like, will Morgan actually play it tho, he seems to have some sort of issue with playing anything thats WPSBA, why he doesnt play Q School or PTCs i dont know.

Could be a string competitive field then despite your fears, Drago and Robidoux will add to this too.

Re: World Seniors Championship

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

why wont El Tel play, hes still coaching so he must still be quite handy, plus hes one of the top names of the 80s.

hes not shown any intrest what so ever to play since his last frame against Mark Williams in 1997 WC.

Postby Wildey

Dean Raynolds
Dene O Kane
Eugene Hughes
David Roe
Les Dodd
Robby Foldvari (take your sleeping bag with you)

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Dean Raynolds
Dene O Kane
Eugene Hughes
David Roe
Les Dodd

:fart:

at this rate anyone over 45 whos picked up a cue will be in it (John from London Town? :john: )

there should be some sort of criteria applied, you have to be 45+ and been a top 16 player at one time.

this would mean only Reynolds and Roe from this list are eligible, though Dean had a stroke last year and id struggle to see him being up to much as he mentioned to me in Sheffield this year that he had to almost start from scratch playing as his body made a partial recovery.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Dean Raynolds
Dene O Kane
Eugene Hughes
David Roe
Les Dodd

at this rate anyone over 45 whos picked up a cue will be in it (John from London Town? :john: )

there should be some sort of criteria applied, you have to be 45+ and been a top 16 player at one time.

this would mean only Reynolds and Roe from this list are eligible, though Dean had a stroke last year and id struggle to see him being up to much as he mentioned to me in Sheffield this year that he had to almost start from scratch playing as his body made a partial recovery.

he entered PTC 3

Postby gallantrabbit

Don't get how someone of Meo's standard could just jack like that. The guy was in love with the game and it's an addiction. How could you just quit? I know many have...
Meo was never one of my favourites but he was a hell of a player. AND one of the few to play over here in Brazil with Davis.
Maybe I should start a campaign to get him a wild card over here in 2 weeks...Would be better than at least one of the wildcards even if he hasn't picked up a stick for 15 years...

Postby weewelshwitch

Witz78 wrote:

El Tel's had back problems for years now. that's main reason he can't play seriously - or rather practice.

I heard that both Mounjoy and Reardon might be playing.

Postby Witz78

weewelshwitch wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

El Tel's had back problems for years now. that's main reason he can't play seriously - or rather practice.

I heard that both Mounjoy and Reardon might be playing.

thats a pity about Terry.

Be great to see Douglas and Raymond in action again though :ahh:

Postby Wildey

Draw

John Parrott v Joe Johnson
Jimmy White v Tony Knowles
Tony Drago v Steve Davis
Qualifier 3 V Qualifier 1
Qualifier 2 v Qualifier 4
Dene O Kane v Neal Foulds
Cliff Thorburn v Alain Robidoux
Nigel Bond v Dennis Taylor

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Draw

Tony Drago v Steve Davis

quite glad it wasnt a seeded draw, should be wide open this event now, the top half of the draw top heavy with Parrot, Jimmy, Tony and Steve all in it.

Personally im hoping for a Qualifier v Qualifier final.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Draw

Tony Drago v Steve Davis

quite glad it wasnt a seeded draw, should be wide open this event now, the top half of the draw top heavy with Parrot, Jimmy, Tony and Steve all in it.

Personally im hoping for a Qualifier v Qualifier final.

unless they will do open Draw after each Round

theres 3 Evenly Matched ties
Drago v Davis
Thorburn v Robidoux
O'Kane v Foulds

you have to expect Parrott,White and Bond to win comfterbly..

now waiting on Qualifiers.

Postby Bourne

Having seen White the last however many months on TV occasions the guy can barely make 2 breaks let alone win frames or matches :shrug:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Having seen White the last however many months on TV occasions the guy can barely make 2 breaks let alone win frames or matches :shrug:

and really you cant really say hes not playing infront of many large crowds anymore.....hes playing in the legends so crowds is something he does often.....he cant hack pressure and now he Knows The Seniors is a route back to PL Thats pressure he wont cope with as Defending Champ.

Postby Witz78

to be honest i think Jimmys slightly embarassed to be in the PL, he looked devasted during that game similar to how he did v Hendry in some of them finals, seriously he looked embarrassed at playing so woeful, worst of it is he can still produce decent stuff in the cubicles and at the Legends so its clearly pressure thats his achilles heel these days

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:to be honest i think Jimmys slightly embarassed to be in the PL, he looked devasted during that game similar to how he did v Hendry in some of them finals, seriously he looked embarrassed at playing so woeful, worst of it is he can still produce decent stuff in the cubicles and at the Legends so its clearly pressure thats his achilles heel these days

trying to hard and feeling the pressure of wanting to play well....

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

Mate, that's a top idea. Go on John! Show them legends how it's done. :D

Postby SnookerFan

Yes, Jimmy seemed to qualify for a lot of tournaments last season. And I was at that legends event where he made the 147 in Redhill. Something he also repeated this year. So he's obviously still playing to a certain standard. He also progressed quite well in the World Open, didn't he?

Still, I think the pressure thing is starting to get to him. In Telford in December he lost to Hendry, who was playing very poorly himself. If Ronnie didn't love playing the game so much, I'd recommend he retired and stuck to Snooker Legends and to the Seniors. I don't think he'd know what to do with himself outside of snooker though.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Where is this being held? Is it still Bradford?

The tournament will be held at the East of England Showground, Peterborough

whats the deal with best of 3s all through the event ??

a bit pointless even last year the semis was best of 5s and final best of 7.

Postby Roland

Best of 3s because these days the over 45s take an hour a frame

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Best of 3s because these days the over 45s take an hour a frame

yes but by the semis the cream will have risen and suerly that deserves best of 7s ?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Best of 3s because these days the over 45s take an hour a frame

the shotclock will put an end to that :ahh:

not really havent you learned anything ?

its a SHOT Clock.

Shot = safety shots,rolling in to the pack,mis cues,missed pots etc etc