Post a reply

Hello everybody

Postby beergitte

I'm sorry, I think I forgot to introduce myself when I joined the forum. So here goes.

Name's Birgitte, and I'm from Denmark.

I was first introduced to snooker through my boyfriend, who was a pool player at the time. Actually holds the junior record in straight pool.
After a few years together he decided that he'd rather play snooker instead, and competed in a couple of Danish championships before having to quit, because his job didn't allow him enough time for proper practice.
I've been following snooker on eurosport ever since, and have eventually surpassed him in knowledge of the rules :-D

Other than snooker, I'm a great lover of beer and whisky, and am actually a member of the local whisky and beer guild.
Being a member of this guild, which I joined in 2003 with my dad, we go on trips to breweries and distilleries (I'd like to say all over the world, but so far they have all been in Europe). Hopefully with our 10 year anniversary next year, we might finally go a bit further. There have been a few trips to Germany and Belgium, as they are of course key beer countries, and to Scotland and Ireland for the whisky/whiskey.

Anything else you'd like to know, just ask and I'll try to answer your questions.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for being so welcoming :D

Re: Hello everybody

Postby Tubberlad

Welcome to the Island Beergitte... or as Wild likes to call it, the ireland <ok>

Postby beergitte

Thanks, yeh I'm not sure if it's his spelling or his geography that's his biggest problem :-D

Postby Wildey

Welcome to the ISLAND <ok>

Postby Witz78

where in Scotland did you go?

also, where in Germany did you go? ( Just had a flashback to being in Munich a few years ago and there being a snooker club across the road from our hotel which surprised me but sadly i never got a chance to pop in! )

can you play snooker?

is being into beer and whisky really a hobby / interest? Im into alcohol too but id never class it as a hobby, its just something i do the same as i breathe, go to the toilet, have a shower etc

Postby beergitte

Re: Scotland. We were staying in Grantown on Spey, visiting the Cairngorm brewery and Strathisla and Aberlour distilleries. We were supposed to also visit the Glenlivet distillery, but got side tracked in Dufftown where the Town Hall (I think) was filled with whiskies from all over Scotland. We figured this would be more interesting to visit, with more samples to try.

I haven't actually been on any of the trips to Germany, but I've visited countless times on summer holidays.

And yes I think beer and whisky can be a hobby. At least the way we do it. It's not all about quantity, but more about quality. Some members even brew their own beer. My dad recently tapped his 3rd or 4th brew. We both fancy the Belgian style beers, so he made a Chimay.
But on a hot summer day nothing beats a Hoegaarden Witt!

Postby beergitte

Sorry, I forgot. I don't play snooker. Tried it once in '98 or '99 in Scotland actually. On a school trip. Knowing nothing about the game at the time it was pretty pointless, but it was something we were told to do by our teachers.

Postby Wildey

beergitte wrote:Sorry, I forgot. I don't play snooker. Tried it once in '98 or '99 in Scotland actually. On a school trip. Knowing nothing about the game at the time it was pretty pointless, but it was something we were told to do by our teachers.

i can safely say no teacher told me to play snooker or i might be in school more often :redneck:

Postby beergitte

We weren't in school at the time. It was in a snooker club in Edinburgh. One of our teachers was Scottish, I suppose that's the only reason we had to try it.