Post a reply

RIP Len Ganley

Postby Witz78

A true snooker legend from the glory days passes away aged 68.

Re: RIP Len Ganley

Postby PLtheRef

Just read this on a colleague's facebook - sad news,

RIP Len

Postby Witz78

annoyed i didnt get a pic with him at The Crucible one of these last few years i saw him about, he didnt look a very well man it has to be said, so cant say this news overly surprises me.

Weird earlier though, was watching the '85 world final whilst i was in the gym and was thinking back to how famous the likes of Street, Williams, Ganley were back then and how most of the UK must have recognised their faces.

Postby PLtheRef

He'd said before the tournament started that it would be the last one he would be retiring and that it would be his last visit to the Crucible.

Always signed my program, each year even though he knew he'd signed it before.

I remember him signing my program in the 'World Champion' section and Michael came over and told me how his dad was the best world champion that never turned pro. And as everyone attests, he couldn't half play.

£22 million he raised in total for charity

He once told me jokingly that he introduced himself as the referee of snookers second greatest comeback because John Williams told him that Alex had had it easy coming back from 7-0 down.

Another one of the games great characters sadly gone now.

Postby Wildey

a snooker legend

RIP Len and thanks for the memories :hatoff:

Postby Bourne

Don't know an awful lot about him but judging by some of the people who are sending tributes I see he must have been a well-loved and respected figure in this sport so my condolences to his family, especially Mike.

Postby Wildey

When you think of 80s snooker you think of Len Ganley.

he was more famous than some well known players by people who werent really snooker fans.

Postby Tubberlad

Yeah, sad news of course. Didn't know much about him, he was a bit before my time, but it's another link to snooker's past gone. Rest in Peace.

Postby Witz78

hitman_ronnie1 wrote:RIP.

assumed he was older than 68.

sad news.

yeh when i found out his age a few years ago i remember being surprised cos that meant he was in his late 30s / early 40s during the 1980s even though he looked more like about 55 or 60 even then.

Suppose the same can be said of Mike Ganley, hes looked ancient for years yet even noe hes only 36 or 37 :shock:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
hitman_ronnie1 wrote:RIP.

assumed he was older than 68.

sad news.

yeh when i found out his age a few years ago i remember being surprised cos that meant he was in his late 30s / early 40s during the 1980s even though he looked more like about 55 or 60 even then.

Suppose the same can be said of Mike Ganley, hes looked ancient for years yet even noe hes only 36 or 37 :shock:

he must have been 40 when he refed the match he said was the most exciting hes refereed Alex v Davis 1983 UK Final.

Postby Lucky

He crushed snooker balls with his bare hands :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Lucky wrote:He crushed snooker balls with his bare hands :bowdown:

Some people pay good money for that.

Postby John From London Town

First met the fella in '82, genuine, he used to ref the exhibition circut, Ray Reardon & Jimmy White. This is true.
When they finished, Jimmy went to the bar & Ray used to do the trick shots after. When Ray finished, he signed the autographs. I picked up his cue, took a couple of balls out of the pocket & started knocking them in with his cue. I head this load roar. It was Len Ganley. I let him off. RIP.