Topic locked

Re: Brazilian Masters - bits and bobs

Postby SnookerFan

They could've whacked it up to best of nine, to be fair. It would be harsh if they went that way and lost a best of seven in 40 minutes. With a bo9, they'd at least have got a mid-session-interval.

Postby gallantrabbit

SnookerFan wrote:What do people think the chances of us getting a Stephen Hendry vs Steve Davis legends match in the quarter finals?

These boys being down there is one of the big reasons I'm going. I also want to see Martin Gould and of course big Igor.
I haven't seen any of the pre-qualifiers about recently. They're all scrambling around tring to find a 'real' table to practice on. Methinks whoever gets through is going to be pumped.
Igor has a chance though. He and Cope play a similar game so it might end up being a shootout. Igor's a decent cueist and knows how to score. Let's see.

Postby Wildey

Ali Carter pulled out of The Paul Hunter Classic because of a recurrence of Crohn's disease so he might be another that pulls out ?

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What do people think the chances of us getting a Stephen Hendry vs Steve Davis legends match in the quarter finals?

These boys being down there is one of the big reasons I'm going. I also want to see Martin Gould and of course big Igor.
I haven't seen any of the pre-qualifiers about recently. They're all scrambling around tring to find a 'real' table to practice on. Methinks whoever gets through is going to be pumped.
Igor has a chance though. He and Cope play a similar game so it might end up being a shootout. Igor's a decent cueist and knows how to score. Let's see.

Yeh Igors a cool guy, had a crack with him and Haneveer in the bar before their matches at the World Open v Williams and Hendry respectively and they were both sound.

I see Igor as a kinda poor mans Drago in style of play and personality.

And though he didnt take a frame off Williams he came to the table in frame 1 when he was 80 odd down - nil to get some table time and wowed the crowd with a total clearance with some amazing power and exhibition shots.

As that :limp: MC guy that day said "Glasgow, lets big it up for Ivor Figaro!" <doh>

As for the qualifiers, surely they will get to practice on the tables at the arena like all the other players haha

and as for Gould i take it the smoking ban indoors doesnt exist in Brazil? If not, then hell be a bigger fag than Munstermann over there :ahh:

Postby gallantrabbit

Witz78 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:

Yeh Igors a cool guy, had a crack with him and Haneveer in the bar before their matches at the World Open v Williams and Hendry respectively and they were both sound.

I see Igor as a kinda poor mans Drago in style of play and personality.

And though he didnt take a frame off Williams he came to the table in frame 1 when he was 80 odd down - nil to get some table time and wowed the crowd with a total clearance with some amazing power and exhibition shots.

As that :limp: MC guy that day said "Glasgow, lets big it up for Ivor Figaro!" <doh>

As for the qualifiers, surely they will get to practice on the tables at the arena like all the other players haha

and as for Gould i take it the smoking ban indoors doesnt exist in Brazil? If not, then hell be a bigger fag than Munstermann over there :ahh:

Yes I saw that clean up on youtube.
Smoking ban very much in. We are quite civilized over here you know...
They're playing the qualies in Floripa but in a club (why?), so I'm sure there's a 12 footer but nothing like the match tables. Gonna get pumped...
Ivor Figaro FFS...

Postby gallantrabbit

Wild wrote:Ali Carter pulled out of The Paul Hunter Classic because of a recurrence of Crohn's disease so he might be another that pulls out ?

One more FFS. They'll let me play for an extra quid soon........I hope.

Postby gallantrabbit

gallantrabbit wrote:
Wild wrote:Ali Carter pulled out of The Paul Hunter Classic because of a recurrence of Crohn's disease so he might be another that pulls out ?

One more FFS. They'll let me play for an extra quid soon........I hope.

And if that's true call up Jimmy and stop bucking about.

Postby Wildey

http://snookermylove.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ooker.html

If you ask a historian about Brazil, he will probably tell you this country was a Portuguese colony until 1822. If you ask a housewife the same thing, she will share with you all the spicy details from last night Brazilian soap-opera. If you ask a teen-ager, she or he will tell you how incredibly awesome is to take part at the Rio Festival. If you ask a football lover, the response will probably sound something like: “Hey, they've won the World Cup five times!!!”.

But what if you ask a snooker fan to tell you something about Brazil? What will his answer be?

Postby Wildey

awwwwww judd just over that teenage years its pipe and slippers for him <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:http://snookermylove.blogspot.com/2011/08/brazils-waiting-for-snooker.html

If you ask a historian about Brazil, he will probably tell you this country was a Portuguese colony until 1822. If you ask a housewife the same thing, she will share with you all the spicy details from last night Brazilian soap-opera. If you ask a teen-ager, she or he will tell you how incredibly awesome is to take part at the Rio Festival. If you ask a football lover, the response will probably sound something like: “Hey, they've won the World Cup five times!!!”.

But what if you ask a snooker fan to tell you something about Brazil? What will his answer be?

I fear the answer will probably be "Bahrain take two".

I'm one of the few that enjoyed watching the Bahrain tournament, but from an organisation stand-point it was an absolute joke. Five big-name players pulled out, and it was played in front of a crowd of about two due to being in the wrong loaction.

And the one threatens to just as bad, if not worse. Bahrain had John Higgins, Mark Selby, Ding and Steve Davis pull out due to playing that night in Haywards Heath, and Ronnie O'Sullivan pull out because he couldn't be screwed to go. Whereas in Brazil, a lot more people have pulled out and what we've is a cobbled together feel. Nothing wrong with that of course, snooker is more then just Judd Trump and Ronnie O'Sullivan. But, Murphy and Selby aside, the line-up here has a real feel of being a tad half-hearted. As if they were just pulling together whoever they could get to turn up.

Not forgetting the fact that if the Brazilians I've spoken to are to be believed, the venue is well out of the way and ticket prices are ridiculously high. That and the fact that the matches are best of sevens up until the semis, we might find that this event never really takes off and is played in front of empty arenas.

Credit to the player who have bothered to turn up. :bowdown: That's commendable. And I'll be watching it. And I'm sure we'll all be tuning in to see what it's like. But you get the feeling the players who have gone will be let down by small crowds, and the matches will unfortunately feel a tad smal-time.

Postby Wildey

i hope your wrong.

as ive said before this event is potentially the most important this season.....money isnt in this country so if we keep snooker british based they will be playing for peanuts we got to hope to spread the game across the world and increase the financial gain for players.

Postby gallantrabbit

I've said all along that I fear you may be right.
The venue is just silly, should have been SP.
To me it feels like the organisers are set for a one off and want to make as much money as possble in the one year, without thinking about who will go down there.
There is some blame to BH and his boys here because for a new event they should have been more hands on.
BUT that's still no excuse for players like Higgins not going. He was involved in pushing the game out to the further reaches, so he should be out here pushing the game wherever Hearn wants to put it on.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i hope your wrong.

as ive said before this event is potentially the most important this season.....money isnt in this country so if we keep snooker british based they will be playing for peanuts we got to hope to spread the game across the world and increase the financial gain for players.

So do I. Do you think I want this tournament to be a disaster? It just seems that the booking of the tournament has been somewhat chaotic.

We'll all be watching it hoping it's awesome. And if it is, I'll be the first one on here celebrating.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:I've said all along that I fear you may be right.
To me it feels like the organisers are set for a one off and want to make as much money as possble in the one year, without thinking about who will go down there.
There is some blame to BH and his boys here because for a new event they should have been more hands on.
BUT that's still no excuse for players like Higgins not going. He was involved in pushing the game out to the further reaches, so he should be out here pushing the game wherever Hearn wants to put it on.

only time will tell :-(

Postby SnookerFan

Odd that, isn't it? For somebody who put so much money towards setting up the World Series, you'd think he'd be wanting to get out there and play further out.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:i hope your wrong.

So do I. Do you think I want this tournament to be a disaster? It just seems that the booking of the tournament has been somewhat chaotic.

We'll all be watching it hoping it's awesome. And if it is, I'll be the first one on here celebrating.

not really the press conference was october last year and been on the callender since then so hardly a rush job.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

Odd that, isn't it? For somebody who put so much money towards setting up the World Series, you'd think he'd be wanting to get out there and play further out.

i can think of 264,000 reasons why hes not interested in going to Brazil :john:

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:heres a pic of the venue

questions have to be asked about the stayaways, especially so called playbois not wanting to go to a place like this.........

Why the F would you not want to play there?

Postby Wildey

questions have to be asked about the stayaways, especially so called playbois not wanting to go to a place like this.........

yes even if theres nobody in the arena i bet theres plenty of action on the beach :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:

Seems glamarous enough, doesn't it? My geography is rubbish, how easy is it to get to?

buck sake though, a venue like that deserves a full ranking event. Not a little mini-tournament that the majority of players don't go to.

Postby Wildey

infact im starting to think Gould payed off Allen to not go..

there will be a few brazilian girls befrending him on facebook soon :-D

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:infact im starting to think Gould payed off Allen to not go..

hes a sound guy but Goulds so called playboy status makes me chuckle :bow:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Casey wrote:

Seems glamarous enough, doesn't it? My geography is rubbish, how easy is it to get to?

buck sake though, a venue like that deserves a full ranking event. Not a little mini-tournament that the majority of players don't go to.

itll take the guts of a day to get there with a stop for refuelling en route probably

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:infact im starting to think Gould payed off Allen to not go..

hes a sound guy but Goulds so called playboy status makes me chuckle :bow:

Jo 90 of pulling <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Casey wrote:

itll take the guts of a day to get there with a stop for refuelling en route probably

i know nothing about brazil but gallant not impressed with location whitch is good enough for me.

i just wished everyone would have done it best to give this best possible chance to work.