Post a reply

Classic clips: Tony Drago v Jimmy White 1991

Postby Roland

I came across this gem on youtube. It's the Mita World Snooker Masters final from 1991 between Tony Drago and Jimmy White.

Starts here with part 1

The quirks of the era are great. Misses aren't misses, the ref respots and shouts the score before the balls come to rest, the commentators say things like "Jimmy's probably just gone off to check the latest odds on this match". And of course it's the Whirlwind against a 25 year old Tornado.

Re: Classic clips: Tony Drago v Jimmy White 1991

Postby gallantrabbit

I remember it well. Didn't Higgins win the juniors? There was doubles too wasn't there and Alison Fisher doubtless won the ladies. I think Jimmy won 200k for this which at the time was the biggest ever prize..

Postby Witz78

i watched some of these the other day and was actually going to post them online here as there a right trip down memory lane of a great event. I think this is a diff one, i came across one 10 min clip that shows all the fans in and around the NEC as well as clips of the various tournaments going on on numerous tables throughout the NEC halls.

and pro-rata'd for inflation that monster prize of 200k would be 370k in todays money, just show yous how far snookers gone back, if only Hearn had been allowed to get a foothold and into power around then, im sure the World Champs would have a million pound first prize right now.

Postby Wildey

heres the intro to the final with clips of the young John Higgins and interview with Barry Hearn and The Referee who was Len Ganley.

Postby Witz78

according to Hearn this was bigger than the World Championships so eat that GJ.

Funny the Dickie Davis interviews, handing Jimmy his beer then talking about saunas and massages with Drago.

Shame there was such real excitement about the snooker scene in the early 90s but in reality this was as good as it got and prob the peak of snooker on the back of the glory days of the 80s.

Doubt wed see clips of a topless Tony these days haha.

That was Mark Williams playing the young parakeet.

Alison Fisher looking tasty.

What a great event that was.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:according to Hearn this was bigger than the World Championships so eat that GJ.

Funny the Dickie Davis interviews, handing Jimmy his beer then talking about saunas and massages with Drago.

Shame there was such real excitement about the snooker scene in the early 90s but in reality this was as good as it got and prob the peak of snooker on the back of the glory days of the 80s.

Doubt wed see clips of a topless Tony these days haha.

That was Mark Williams playing the young parakeet.

Alison Fisher looking tasty.

What a great event that was.

yes but it was his tournament hardly impartial and jimmy has quoted the UK as his biggest event win.

it was a great event they should put it on every 4 years or so at the NEC

Postby Witz78

just a thought, what was the authorities views on this event, did they see Hearn as a rival and competition and potentially leading a breakaway tour?

im sure if he hadnt got voted on last year he would have organised something similar for a select group of players, namely some current big names, past legends and up and coming stars. (anyone who voted against him obviously not invited though)

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:just a thought, what was the authorities views on this event, did they see Hearn as a rival and competition and potentially leading a breakaway tour?

im sure if he hadnt got voted on last year he would have organised something similar for a select group of players, namely some current big names, past legends and up and coming stars. (anyone who voted against him obviously not invited though)

at that time early 90s he did put on quite a bit of Events The World Matchplay was another and instead of working WITH him for snookers Benefit there was this undercurrent of resent.

Postby Witz78

Just had a thought seeing the graphic for that video haha

Dragos 45 so hell be in the Seniors WC

between him, the Nugget and Jimmy for glory, i cant lose.

Least him there adds to the competition Wild eh?