Post a reply

John Higgins discusses busy schedule

Postby SnookerFan

From the BBC Website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/14635538.stm

World champion John Higgins feels he needs to get back practising after suffering a shock exit at the Australian Goldfields Open.

Matthew Selt beat the Scot 5-4 in July to reach the last 16 and Higgins intends to put the defeat behind him ahead of the Shanghai Masters.

"After this today I will need to get back to the practice table," Higgins told BBC Scotland.

"Because I have not been doing too well lately. I need to pull my socks up."

Higgins is flying out on Thursday to play in the Paul Hunter Classic in Germany then heads to the Shanghai Masters the following week.

He spoke to BBC Scotland at a charity event to raise money for young snooker players to compete in competitions across the country and emphasised the need for players of all levels to put in practice.

"We are trying to raise as much money as possible for the stars of tomorrow," said Higgins.

"A lot of these young kids have got to go to Europe and Australia and have got to try to raise the money themselves.

"We are trying to put as much money into the pot as possible so that the young kids that do qualify can have all their fees paid for them.

"When I was growing up it was up to the mums and dads to try to get the money for you to come along and compete."

In May 2010, Higgins was suspended after reportedly agreeing to take a £261,000 bribe to lose frames, but was later cleared of match-fixing and won the World Snooker Championship title for a fourth time 12 months later.

He said the ban had a profound effect on his ability to play the game, but he managed to work through it thanks to the support of his friends and family.

"I don't think you'll ever get over things like that," said Higgins "It has probably been the defining moment of my career really.

"It's tough to take but I am trying my best.

"I have had a lot of good support behind me for the past 12-18 months.

"I am trying to get back in there and concentrate on the snooker and make the people who matter to me proud. That's what matters to me now."

Since his 2011 championship win in May, Higgins has competed in tournaments as far away as Australia and Thailand and admits the pressures of professional competition and family life can be difficult to balance.

"Barry Hearn has taken control of our sport and he has been putting more and more events on the calendar, which is great," said Higgins.

"But the players have never really had to try to manage our calendar the way top golfer or top tennis players do.

"We were competing in one tournament every two months but now we have got maybe three or four tournaments each month.

"It is quite hard to juggle because if you have a young family you've got to work your whole calendar around it.

"This year I took most of the summer off and I am only really getting back to the practice table now because it is going to be a long year."

Re: John Higgins discusses busy schedule

Postby Witz78

"I am trying to get back in there and concentrate on the snooker and make the people who matter to me proud. That's what matters to me now."

GET TO BRAZIL THEN YOU MUPPET

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:"I am trying to get back in there and concentrate on the snooker and make the people who matter to me proud. That's what matters to me now."

rofl

He's trying to concentrate on snooker, as long as he doesn't have to go anywhere to do it.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:"I am trying to get back in there and concentrate on the snooker and make the people who matter to me proud. That's what matters to me now."

rofl

He's trying to concentrate on snooker, as long as he doesn't have to go anywhere to do it.

That's unfair. I'm sure he will go to every ranking event wherever they are. But Brazil is pretty pointless, it's not ranking, the prize money is poor, the venue is some posh holidays resort, the schedule is unfortunate to say the least, the tickets are expensive and the players are not convinced at all this will lead to any real development of the game (especially after the Bahrain experience). It's not worth sacrificing their family, not when the calendar is so busy. You all should get real, and Barry Hearn also in this particular occurrence.
Either there are real opportunities in Brazil and he should have communicated better with the players in order to make them aware of what is at stake and what it could really bring, or he should have left it for next season with better preparation, suitable dates, main city venue and affordable tickets.

Postby Wildey

dont want to go over old ground AGAIN but it does snake hiss me off when sportsmen sais "It is quite hard to juggle because if you have a young family you've got to work your whole calendar around it."

most people who is in a job from working on oil rigs to police to firefighters to armed forces where you work shifts has to juggle home life with their job but unlike sportsmen they dont lose and then get time at home they have to still work that shift.

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:you reply to Monique please Wild

ive a reply in my head but i just cant be hassled typing it out as i know itll turn into a 20 line reply/rant haha

ah right, i see you have haha

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

rofl

That's unfair. I'm sure he will go to every ranking event wherever they are. But Brazil is pretty pointless, it's not ranking, the prize money is poor, the venue is some posh holidays resort, the schedule is unfortunate to say the least, the tickets are expensive and the players are not convinced at all this will lead to any real development of the game (especially after the Bahrain experience). It's not worth sacrificing their family, not when the calendar is so busy. You all should get real, and Barry Hearn also in this particular occurrence.
Either there are real opportunities in Brazil and he should have communicated better with the players in order to make them aware of what is at stake and what it could really bring, or he should have left it for next season with better preparation, suitable dates, main city venue and affordable tickets.

I agree to an extent that it has been badly organised. The ticket prices and location will put fans off, and Barry Hearn must take some responsibility for it.

I still think it is unprofessional of a lot of the top players not to turn up. If they've got genuine complaints about the tournament that they wish to make, that's fine. But these should be made to Hearn, whilst pushing forward and trying to make the tournament a success anyway. They shouldn't go; "Oh mistakes have been made, oh well buck it, let's not go." We shouldn't stop trying to promote the sport, just because of some errors in ticket pricing and location for one tournament.

Ps. My comment about him not wanting to go to any tournaments was tounge in cheek. But I'd still like to see a lot more bigger names at this event.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

rofl

well lets not bother then ....in the 70s World Championship venues was not great lets pack up go home its useless then the 80s boom wouldnt have happened..

you have to work through the rubbish to get to the good stuff if nobody bothers then nothing happens.

Postby gallantrabbit

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

rofl

Beg to differ. Yes I think Hearn and WS have made mistakes with Brazil, but Higgins is a flag bearer and if he'd have agreed to go/come to Brazil they all would have done, except Ronnie and Robbo maybe.
I can't believe player's short memories I really can't. Especially Higgins who was trying to open up markets when all that nonsense happened. He more than most should understand what 'testing the market' means and that's exactly what Brazil is about, (although as I've said previously it should have stayed in São paulo). Prize money Monique? What was the prize money for the World series events?? probably not 20k. Over here there will be 200k all told, so a sight more I think.
Hearn discreetly backed Higgins when all his troubles were occuring. He should be paying that faith back and getting his 'arris out here in September.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:dont want to go over old ground AGAIN but it does snake hiss me off when sportsmen sais "It is quite hard to juggle because if you have a young family you've got to work your whole calendar around it."

most people who is in a job from working on oil rigs to police to firefighters to armed forces where you work shifts has to juggle home life with their job but unlike sportsmen they dont lose and then get time at home they have to still work that shift.

Wild I'm sick and tired of this. Because contrary to you I have worked on shifts, and on Xmas and Easter and New years hols, as a single mother with two young kids. And believe it or not even for a rather short period of time on an oil rig in the middle of the North sea as an It engineer. Those jobs are extremely well paid and you get a lot of holidays in compensation for the week-ends and and public holidays your work. You are not expected to work on week-ends and be off your pocket in addition like it's the case for MOST players in EPTCs. You are NOT expected to travel the world for your work at your own expenses neither. In other sports the sportsmen and women earn much more and somehow this compensates for what they are expected to do. It's not the case in snooker.
I'm sick and tired because I'm certain you wouldn't do it, Witz wouldn't do it.
And you seem to forget that between the competitive matches those guys have to practice, they have promo work for their sponsors ... they are not on free time. If they don't put the work in, their results will promptly drop.

Postby Roland

If the player wants to manage his schedule so he manages the events he wants to play in and leave enough time for recovery then fair enough. But for a player to think it's pointless playing in Brazil and that they don't think there's any point going to Brazil and that it might be another Bahrain - well it's not their place to say or speculate. And to be fair I've not heard any player saying or speculating that they think that.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:dont want to go over old ground AGAIN but it does snake hiss me off when sportsmen sais "It is quite hard to juggle because if you have a young family you've got to work your whole calendar around it."

Wild I'm sick and tired of this. Because contrary to you I have worked on shifts, and on Xmas and Easter and New years hols, as a single mother with two young kids. And believe it or not even for a rather short period of time on an oil rig in the middle of the North sea as an It engineer. Those jobs are extremely well paid and you get a lot of holidays in compensation for the week-ends and and public holidays your work. You are not expected to work on week-ends and be off your pocket in addition like it's the case for MOST players in EPTCs. You are NOT expected to travel the world for your work at your own expenses neither. In other sports the sportsmen and women earn much more and somehow this compensates for what they are expected to do. It's not the case in snooker.
And you seem to forget that between the competitive matches those guys have to practice, they have promo work for their sponsors ... they are not on fee time. If they don't put the work in, their results will promptly drop.

Monique your sick well ive had a gutfdull of this bullocks they either want to play snooker or not no skin of my nose if they want to work shifts in a slate Quary like i did for 15 years its up to them but believe me id rather Fly around the World Playing Snooker if i could than having Lungs full of Slate Dust.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:

And you seem to forget that between the competitive matches those guys have to practice, they have promo work for their sponsors ... they are not on free time. If they don't put the work in, their results will promptly drop.

i get your point about the young guys over and out loud and clear

but as for the top 16 guys who are all wealthy skipping Brazil, then theres no excuse of happy families, tiredness etc and the prize money not being big enough for them.

considering its an inaugural event in a new territory, then i think the money aint all that bad and the point gallant made about the likes of Higgins with his WSOS knowing the importance of these events so its a joke hes not there along with the others.

Postby Wildey

BTW i havent got Lungs full of Slate Dust but i do know of a guy that had one Lung Removed because of Slate Dust having work in a Quarry for 20+ years.

i did broke both my legs in a Quarry though A Fork Lift run me over....it was no picnic there.

Postby gallantrabbit

Monique you are too far on the players' side.
The players had valid complaints 3 years ago when there was no work for them. BH has come in and worked his magic, but the sooner the players realise that BH needs their help in self or snooker marketing the better.
The players pulled out of Brazil before they knew it was being transferred to the posh resort. They haven't sat down and worked out the implications of that. I have because I live here and I know that a smattering of snooker fans plus friends/family of the players will make the trip. They haven't thought about that though. They are just under the illusion that BH has the golden touch and they don't need to make the effort to get out here or do any type of marketing. Short sightedness is what is boils down to, and I'd expect more especially from someone like Higgins.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:BTW i havent got Lungs full of Slate Dust but i do know of a guy that had one Lung Removed because of Slate Dust having work in a Quarry for 20+ years.

i did broke both my legs in a Quarry though A Fork Lift run me over....it was no picnic there.

the forklift driver didnt drive quick enough at you then :D

Postby gallantrabbit

Sonny wrote:If the player wants to manage his schedule so he manages the events he wants to play in and leave enough time for recovery then fair enough. But for a player to think it's pointless playing in Brazil and that they don't think there's any point going to Brazil and that it might be another Bahrain - well it's not their place to say or speculate. And to be fair I've not heard any player saying or speculating that they think that.

Also Sonny the players should realise that they have to earn the right to be able to pick and choose events. Less than three years ago if they picked and chose they'd be playing 3 weeks a year...
It's like Ben Woolaston saying "ah I won last week, I'm taking 2 months off now..."

Postby gallantrabbit

Apart from anything else, either Higgins or Williams or Robbo on their own would be red hot favourites to walk off with 40k at least in dollars from Brazil. Now in David Beckham's eyes that may be peanuts. For most of us that's worth a long haul flight and a little jet lag...

Postby Wildey

when the Brazilian masters was launched i never thought players would withdrew because i was genunly exciting about the prospect of a new market its so frustrating that players cant see that and just treat it as another event..

its so much more than that.

monique i am a little weary that you dont want a global sport because Ronnie doesent and it possibly clouding ur judgement a bit.

suerly as someone that has not had that much main tour on ur own belgium doorstep you can value the smallest chance that a bigger market MIGHT open up but without trying we will never know and top players has not put their best foot forward to try and make it happen.

i fear snooker players when they got Barry Hearn in they wanted Tournaments on their own Doorstep thats Not True Sport thats just Kids Stuff.

Postby Witz78

the sports bigger than any player so full steam ahead Mr.Hearn with your plans for global domination and if the big names want to stay on the bandwagon good, and if not, then im sure plenty of others will be happy to leave the families behind.

Postby gallantrabbit

A lot of players don't want earning opportunities, they want guarantees. Go work for the government as a civil servant. Snooker is only any different to golf and tennis in that there is 10 per cent of the total prize money. But one big reson for that is that it was allowed to drag through the mud for many a year. The Uk market can only take so much. Europe is being tested as is Australia and Asia is becoming established. So lot's of testing going on. Wht not try to include another continent in that and hopefully N America too?
Players should pull away from their mother's aprons and get on with it. Ask John from London or some of the others who came close if they'd be on the plane to Brazil. And there are few who consider their family more than John.
Makes me bleeding blood boil so it does :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Postby Tubberlad

I'm disappointed Higgins isn't going to Brazil, and that goes for Sullivan, Williams, Robertson, Trump & Ding who aren't going either. What that means is that arguably the six biggest names in snooker are not going to a tournament that needed some major stars. If they really have snooker in their blood like Davis, Hendry, White and Alex Higgins, they wouldn't have given a buck about jetlag or poor prize money and made the effort. Disappointing.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I'm disappointed Higgins isn't going to Brazil, and that goes for Sullivan, Williams, Robertson, Trump & Ding who aren't going either. What that means is that arguably the six biggest names in snooker are not going to a tournament that needed some major stars. If they really have snooker in their blood like Davis, Hendry, White and Alex Higgins, they wouldn't have given a buck about jetlag or poor prize money and made the effort. Disappointing.

i can understand players looking at the massive callender and thinking ummmm what can i miss i know brazil no ranking,not established,not that important and in terms of prestiege it is bottom of the pile but the opertunity it can open up i rate it as important as anything this season i just hope having so many of the top players not going hasent snake hissed off the natives.

Postby Tubberlad

There are a few names who I just feel aren't pulling their weight for Hearn and have made his job pretty difficult... Higgins, Robertson, Allen, Ding and, by far the worst, O'Sullivan... hats off to the likes of Dott, Davis, Hendry, Carter, Selby, Murphy and many others who are...