Post a reply

Re: Dave Hendon's reflections on the players life...

Postby Wildey

That is why Barry Hearn is so frustrated they havent been taught whats expected of them as players that they think they can do what they want play when they want..

if they want to snooker to be a proffesional outfit it starts with them as players and build the sport proffesionally around them.

Postby SnookerFan

Some interesting comments from Snooker Island's Wild and John from London Town. Not sure who Moique is though. rofl

As usual a measured approach from Hendon. Of course we have to expect that snooker players are human too. But there are also very priviliged humans. How many people out there would give anything to be a professional snooker player. That should be remembered. :mosh2:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:Some interesting comments from Snooker Island's Wild and John from London Town. Not sure who Moique is though. rofl

As usual a measured approach from Hendon. Of course we have to expect that snooker players are human too. But there are also very priviliged humans. How many people out there would give anything to be a professional snooker player. That should be remembered. :mosh2:

More like the usual sitting on the fence waffle from Hendon, he needs to grow some balls like his father figure Clive Everton did and say his mind, instead of risking upsetting the hierarchy and being cast on the scrapheap. He starts debates then panics when they start getting controversial. <doh>

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:A lot of what Dave describes should be the job of the players management company.

Not all players have a management company, especially among the young and newbies. WSa has responsibilities towards the players, just as they have as well.
They are professionals, which means that they are there to make a living. I wonder how many of you would agree if their employer was telling them, now guys, we want to expand worldwide, so you are expected to work for free or even to be off your pocket to allow this. I bet there won't be many. It's no different. Of course players have to do their bits, and of course, at times a special effort could be required. But not without proper communication, agreement on the process and guarantees about the achievability of the endeavour.

Postby Wildey

i do agree with what dave said to some degree because thoes same not very bright players was the guys that was voting in the board of the game for years without the know how for running a sport or buisness.

they were infact incharge of the sport without knowing what to do.

thankfully there was enough last year that voted the right way otherwise god knows what they would be doing today decarating most proberbly.

there needs to be awarness of whats expected from them so in future respionsability of being a pro rather than a mis spent youth is taken.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i do agree with what dave said to some degree because thoes same not very bright players was the guys that was voting in the board of the game for years without the know how for running a sport or buisness.

they were infact incharge of the sport without knowing what to do.

thankfully there was enough last year that voted the right way otherwise god knows what they would be doing today decarating most proberbly.

there needs to be awarness of whats expected from them so in future respionsability of being a pro rather than a mis spent youth is taken.

or a misspelt youth like yours :D

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Back to Brazil - what were the players being offered to play in that event?

a packet of Brazil nuts

a tour of the Maracana

a ride in the cable car Roger Moore and Jaws did battle on top of

a weeks accomodation free of charge in Ronnie Biggs old apartment

and the winner got to samba with a girl of their choice on the Copacabana for an hour. <ok>

sounds fair to me.

Postby gallantrabbit

Answering Sonny.

1. I don't agree with the venue but Florianopolis does contain some of the most jaw dropping women on the planet.
2. A chance to play a little part in the future of the global game.
3. The total prize money is $200K so maybe 40/45 to the winner. (pros shouldn't expect guarantees). Their earning opportunities in this week if they don't come to Brazil will be a max of 1 exhibition and to some, a pro-am or flyer somewhere...(Trump and Ding excepted)
4. A cultural and life experience and a little eye-opening. Life doesn't begin and end in a snooker hall although many of us have already believed it does.
5. True cairpirinha - what a drink...
Want more?

Postby John From London Town

gallantrabbit wrote:Answering Sonny.

1. I don't agree with the venue but Florianopolis does contain some of the most jaw dropping women on the planet.
3. The total prize money is $200K so maybe 40/45 to the winner. (pros shouldn't expect guarantees). Their earning opportunities in this week if they don't come to Brazil will be a max of 1 exhibition and to some, a pro-am or flyer somewhere...(Trump and Ding excepted)
4. A cultural and life experience and a little eye-opening. Life doesn't begin and end in a snooker hall although many of us have already believed it does.
Want more?

Fair enough gallant, you've sold it, to me anyway. Where do I sign mate?

Postby gallantrabbit

John From London Town wrote:

Want more?

I ain't no salesman either John. In this case don't need to be eh?
To John, Mark, Neil, Judd, Mark etc etc Get a facking life!!!

Postby GJ

gallantrabbit wrote:
John From London Town wrote:

Want more?

I ain't no salesman either John. In this case don't need to be eh?
To John, Mark, Neil, Judd, Mark etc etc Get a facking life!!!

is ronnie playing then :wave: ;-)

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Casey wrote:A lot of what Dave describes should be the job of the players management company.

Not all players have a management company, especially among the young and newbies. WSa has responsibilities towards the players, just as they have as well.
They are professionals, which means that they are there to make a living. I wonder how many of you would agree if their employer was telling them, now guys, we want to expand worldwide, so you are expected to work for free or even to be off your pocket to allow this. I bet there won't be many. It's no different. Of course players have to do their bits, and of course, at times a special effort could be required. But not without proper communication, agreement on the process and guarantees about the achievability of the endeavour.

They do play snooker for a living, to be fair.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Because he's done it before :redneck:

When ?

i dont remember that :shrug:

Anyway the first bullets been fired back at him, see whats hes gotta say for himself :john:

its obvious its you even that gone over your head rofl rofl

Postby Monique

I found this message this morning from Sharam Changezi. :sad:

German Embassy didnt issue me the visa :-( i withdrew from ptc-4....... hope to get a sponsor a participate in 2012 season...see u then.. it was really nice talking to u

For those who saw Sharam play, they will know he's really talented and deserves better than this. Just shows again how tough it is.

Postby Witz78

who knows what the best, if any solution is though Monique

at the moment soemthing has to give, there just isnt the money there

im sure in time under Hearn things will improve and there will be money, however minimal to be win at every stage of the qualifiers too.

there is a case for making the tournaments 48 instead of 32 with more tables at venues where this is suitable though id say, as the argument against rewarding / paying all 96 pros is that only 1/3rd of them make the venue where the public see them.

also possibly an argument that only the top 10 or 12 qualify for events instead 16, the difference between 10 and 22 these days is little, so the argument that people only want to see the best doesnt wash with me, if thats truly the case then why have a tour of 96 anyway?

at least this way thered be 22 or 20 players able to qualify, id also introduce a more flatter qualifying system too like the German Masters.

def an argument for giving newcomers 2 years on tour to establish themselves or doubling their year 1 points, but thats a different debate really i guess.

Postby Wildey

yes it is a shame but you have to look towards the long term stability of the sport and the future career for players long term you cant think short term and why so so cant afford to play in PTC.

it has to be a long term 5 or 10 years vision.