Post a reply

European Under 18's

Postby PLtheRef

Featuring the forum's very own Randam. and also Hannah Jones

The European Under 18 Open is currently being held from 18-22 August at the S.W.SA in partnership with the EBSA

The 30 entries from Six different countries have been split into eight groups, 6 of four, 2 of 3.

Randam05 is in Group B - an all UK Group along with Ross Muir, tipped for the top, and who made a 132 break yesterday, Liam Sanders and Harry Ferrell.

Hannah is in Group F, one of the Groups of three along with Jordan Winbourne and Jonathan Fung

For all the latest info

http://www.southwestsnookeracademy.com/ ... s%20of%203).pdf
Last edited by PLtheRef on 19 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Re: European Under 18's

Postby markj147

Ah I know who he is now. He has been chauffeur driven by Paul Mount in his Aston Martin.. :)

All the best Randam - I will catch up with him when I see him next.

Hannah is playing here. Totally out of her depth on the tables. The players she has are better then here ability wise and she hasnt been striking the ball well for a while now so up hill battle.

Yesterday she lost 3-0 3-0 to Jonathan Fung and Jordan Winbourne. She did have 4 of those games lost on the pink/ black ball which seems harsh but it also seemed inevitable when watching the games.

Today she is playing better but so are the others, She was leading Jonathan in the first frame before he knocked in a 52 then he had a 48 and 32 in the next and following that he won on on the colours for the 3-0 win.

He has had some tremendous form as well which doesnt help Hannah but you have to take what shots are offered. Yesterday she had her first chance in halfway through the 2nd frame when she was already too far behind. She is more upbeat today and her cueing is more relaxed.

She plays Jordan Winbourne at 14:00 today and I expect a repeat of yesterday so her chance of making the main event knockouts are slim to non existant.

She will, though, probably end up in the plate event so her remaining matches are all good practice for the knockouts.

Will keep you up to date with her progress as the tournament goes on.

Postby Roland

Nice one Mark. Keep an eye out for Jade as well who is probably there supporting her brother!

Postby markj147

Good news, met our Randam and he is proud to day he has recorded his first win 3-0 and he is pretty made up.

He loves the Aston by the way and he has been chatting to Hannah.

Jade was here yesterday but I missed her.

Hannah has won her first frame against Jordan Winbourne, proving me wrong yet again. She is 1-1 at the moment and won the 2nd frame convincingly. Shane Castle is watching her and is amazed at her cueing action which is good enough for me.

Andy hicks has been watching Hannah and is very impressed with her. Again good enough for me. :)

The weather is gorgeous.

No more to say other than:

Am off with Hannah to the cinema tonight and to Pizza Hut to chill out. Will report on her score later. Convinced it will be 3-1 to Jordan in an effort to make her prove me wrong again... :)

Postby markj147

Ah well it didn't happen. Her winning spurred the lad on and he cleared with 87 in the last frame. Not sure what happened in the 4th but she came 2nd. ;)

A bit of practice and then pizza and cinema. :D

Postby markj147

A few 30 + breaks and alot of 20 breaks, nothing to write home about to be fair. Alot of the kids are struggling but the Hong Kong lads have been playing here for a couple of weeks and they are now starting to put together breaks over 40.

The tables are rock hard and the bounce off the rail is unreal compared to the crap that we play on back home.

In practice she has had a few breaks over 50 on the tables but the pressure is off then. She is improving every match and has at least 3 matches left to play before we head off. 2 matches tomorrow and at least 1 on sunday. She is in a good place today after yesterday so all good.

Postby Roland

The tables are really tough down there. Really nice but really hard.

Postby Witz78

a mixed bag then, suppose it always takes time to adapt to different playing conditions but in these short formats the pressures on from the off.

also as all players know its easy to pot when its practice and no pressure, and even easier said than done trying to take that relaxed mindset into the matches.

suppose the defeats are a learning curve for her, no shame in losing though, someone has to i guess.

Postby markj147

Yes agreed.

It is tough though because Hannah has drawn 2 players much better than her and she is in a group of 3, 2 of which qualify for the main tournament knockouts. There are players here that Hannah can beat easily but the luck of the draw has hardly ever been on Hannah's side.

What I do like though is the way that she is playing. She is playing positive snooker and trying her best - which clearly isnt good enough at the moment - to win. These games will go some way to improving her matchplay and if she comes away from the week with the same attitude and a better matchplay game then its a win. Expensive lesson though...:0

Postby randam05

Cheers for the support! Thanks mark, and nice to meet you..have fun you two at the cinema and eating pizza tonight! see you around tomorrow.

Had a good 3-0 win today and a bad 3-2 loss yesterday as mark said..I really should have won that match, but it was early, my first match in a tournament and first match on the match tables. Anyway I am second in my group at the moment and thats where I need to stay to get through to the main event - knockout stage. Next match is my second match against Ross Muir - who is very decent! at 18:30. Catch ya later guys.

Postby Roland

Good luck randam. I'll be impressed if you get a frame off him!

Postby Witz78

GRIND Randam, play dirty and keep it tight, hit and run and pinch a few points here and there, no risks tho or youll be punished against the man Bourne is tipping to be the next big thing !!

Postby Roland

Ross can grind, he's a tough prospect.

Postby Roland

tough prospect for randam, great prospect for snooker

Postby jadechelsea

Sonny wrote:Nice one Mark. Keep an eye out for Jade as well who is probably there supporting her brother!

I was there yesterday to cheer him up but I am not there at the moment but I wish I was there , we are going to watch him in the final if he gets there :-)

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:Good luck randam. I'll be impressed if you get a frame off him!

Cheers Sonny, one frame is my aim! Then I may stay second going into the final round robin day to make the finals day.

And yes he can grind, yesterday in our match he opened with a 68 and the next two frames went right down to the colours, so I was happy to keep with him, but dissapointed I didnt knick one of the last two frames.

In the match he played before me he knocked into two 50s and a 132 so aslong as that doesnt happen to me ill have a chance!

Postby randam05

Haha thanks guys!

Well I lost 3-0 to ross :-( He knocked in 85 in the first, then in the second i got a good 30 odd break, screwed back on the brown to leave myself the final blue - being frame ball, white landed below the blue tight under the cushion and somehow didnt drop in the middle! So that was a shame.

Anyway two more matches tomorrow, and the good news is i have played mine against ross where the other two in my group both play him tomorrow and i play them, so if they both lose 3-0 like they have so far against ross, im in for a good chance of making the last 16 (finals day) :-) Pressures on to win my last two matches but im not going to look at the group table till after all my matches to stop the pressure building even more! Wish me luck! Ill update tomorrow after my first match that begins at 10am

Postby randam05

markj147 wrote:All the very best from me and Hannah :)

Thanks guys :-) Can hannah get through with some wins in her last matches?

Also thanks sonny! I think I can do it, I havent got ross tomorrow so have a decent chance.

Postby jadechelsea

Good luck Jake and I probably wont to be up at 8 so I will talk to you after your match and remember to talk to your self to make your self confident :kiss:

Postby PLtheRef

randam05 wrote:Haha thanks guys!

Well I lost 3-0 to ross :-( He knocked in 85 in the first, then in the second i got a good 30 odd break, screwed back on the brown to leave myself the final blue - being frame ball, white landed below the blue tight under the cushion and somehow didnt drop in the middle! So that was a shame.

Anyway two more matches tomorrow, and the good news is i have played mine against ross where the other two in my group both play him tomorrow and i play them, so if they both lose 3-0 like they have so far against ross, im in for a good chance of making the last 16 (finals day) :-) Pressures on to win my last two matches but im not going to look at the group table till after all my matches to stop the pressure building even more! Wish me luck! Ill update tomorrow after my first match that begins at 10am

Hi Jake, is it two from each to qualify?

Postby randam05

Yes Pl :-) two of the groups have 3 players though due to players pulling out.