Topic locked

Re: Premier League 2011: Week 1 (Skegness)

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:funny with Trumps rise in popularity and seen as a potential heir to the Peoples Champion because i know 2-3 years ago Selby became quite popular among casual snooker fans who were maybe just getting back into the sport, but hes kinda the forgotten man almost now in that sense. I guess to be a Peoples Champion you really have to play the game in a high risk all or nothing manner that gives your fans a rollercoaster of emotions and drama.

I think peeps like someone who loses tough matches too, because then there's that feeling of rising off the canvas and fighting to prove doubters wrong.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:funny with Trumps rise in popularity and seen as a potential heir to the Peoples Champion because i know 2-3 years ago Selby became quite popular among casual snooker fans who were maybe just getting back into the sport, but hes kinda the forgotten man almost now in that sense. I guess to be a Peoples Champion you really have to play the game in a high risk all or nothing manner that gives your fans a rollercoaster of emotions and drama.

I think peeps like someone who loses tough matches too, because then there's that feeling of rising off the canvas and fighting to prove doubters wrong.

<ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I don't think Selby had the sudden explosion in popularity that Judd has. People who had barely heard of Judd six months ago, are now proclaiming him the future of snooker. And making quips like; "Ronnie who?"

Even newsreaders I saw at The Crucible this year were saying this was Judd's first Crucible appearance, or first season as a pro. He's got so popular, so quickly some people who aren't in the know as much assume Judd has started playing in the past few months.

I don't remember it being that big with Selby.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think Selby had the sudden explosion in popularity that Judd has. People who had barely heard of Judd six months ago, are now proclaiming him the future of snooker. And making quips like; "Ronnie who?"

Even newsreaders I saw at The Crucible this year were saying this was Judd's first Crucible appearance, or first season as a pro. He's got so popular, so quickly some people who aren't in the know as much assume Judd has started playing in the past few months.

he beat ronnie aka peoples champion in a few big finals so wiggs was seen as the enemy

:wave: <doh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think Selby had the sudden explosion in popularity that Judd has. People who had barely heard of Judd six months ago, are now proclaiming him the future of snooker. And making quips like; "Ronnie who?"

buck me ive been waiting for so long for trump to do something believe me its not been overnight unless hes been in a coma lol

Postby Witz78

yeh clueless idiots like Wild were going Judd who? :D

i dunno with Selby, he did kinda go from a nobody to suddenly one of the top players overnight with that WC final in 2007 then his Masters displays. It was talked of at one stage that the Ronnie - Selby rivalry was the main one in snooker and one to appeal to new fans of the sport.

Postby Bourne

Probs wasn't as big but he had those 12 months where he lost a gutsy final to Higgins in the Worlds, lost a great match to O'Sullivan in the UK with the 147 and all that, won the Masters (huge BBC event) and then won the Welsh with that comeback, and I think a lot of people were on O'Sullivan's back after that because of his immature comments about Selby and they started to root for him. Now Judd's coming into this season off a tough Worlds final loss, which to be fair he took in great spirits and the crowd will have liked that.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm not saying Selby didn't have a sudden rush of success. He did. When he got to the final of The Crucible over John Higgins it really raised his profile. And he pushed on from that, and becoming a top-16 player suddenly, to being a double Masters winner and Welsh Open champion. I'm sure there were people saying he'd be the next big thing or whatever.

I'm just saying, the explosion of popularity was a lot bigger for Judd, that's all. We all knew who Judd was four years ago. I sat and watched his match against Mark Allen in the 2009 Masters, and there was probably only me and my mate and two dozen others in Wembley Arena watching the match. Though, he won over a lot of people who doubted him with the China Open win, and jumped up to Ronnie O'Sullivan level of popularity with his Crucible appearance. Literally in about 8 weeks he went from somebody a lot of casual fans had not heard of, to being one of the most loved players ever. It's probably one of the quickest upswings in form and popularity that the sport has seen for a long time. If not ever.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I aint got Sky Sports at all. Am wondering if a parent visit/pub visit is in order to catch it. But probably can't be bothered.

yes you might not get home for another 3 nights <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I aint got Sky Sports at all. Am wondering if a parent visit/pub visit is in order to catch it. But probably can't be bothered.

yes you might not get home for another 3 nights <laugh>

Yeah, knowing how frequently there are riots in Croydon, it's not impossible.

Postby SnookerFan

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:I'm not watching this rubbish, despite having sky.

rofl

I tried to get into it last year, when I did have Sky Sports. But I just got bored of it towards the end.

Postby Wildey

i think problem with the PL as it was it just got predictable thats the problem with gimmicks

when it started you had visions of players running round the table and it never really happened .....dont know if time outs is in use now but if they are id get rid of them.

lets not dress it up as more than it is and have fun with it.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:I'm not watching this donkey doo, despite having sky.

I wonder why :chuckle:

is wiggs not in it :gag: :wave:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:
Bourne wrote:
MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:I'm not watching this donkey doo, despite having sky.

I wonder why :chuckle:

is wiggs not in it :gag: :wave:

young wiggy aint in it <laugh>

old wiggy is :clap:

JIMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote: :limp:

15 mins to go, a purple theme this year :chin:

buck sakes goldstein trying to explain :baby:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:It sounds more complicated than it is :grrr:

if you was new to snooker having listened to that intro they would switch off <laugh>

seriously the apeal of snooker is the simplicity of the sport just keep things simple please.

Postby Witz78

its simple the format

the only confusion might come in deciders when players forget the hit a cushion Shootout rule has kicked in and do a Schoolboy error.

reckon the crowd will go nuts here for Jimmy

looks a fair crowd in there tonight too