Post a reply

What do people want from Snooker ?

Postby Wildey

The Tour at the moment is unrecognisable from 2 years ago more playing opertunities than ever before But theres more Traveling to do which Costs Money plus fatigue.

Taking in to consideration Barry Hearn has not got a bottomless pit of Cash to throw at Players the sport is in a Financial mess after years of Neglect on the part of previous Regimes.

He Has to take Tournaments as they come along because Venues are being used for other activities that doesent include Snooker.

Ranking Events=9 planned with 8 confirmed
PTC Events=13
Invitational Events=7 Wuxi, World Cup,Brazil, PL,CL,Shootout and of course The Masters

now with PTC Taking a bigger role is there a case to scrap the Championship League and play PTC in to next year or maybe reduce the PTC Events from 12 to 8 or 6 ?

So what Would you Do ?

Re: What do people want from Snooker ?

Postby GJ

99 % of events are good IMO

brazil is just silly

plucked out of thin air no brazilplayer for the locals to cheer on its destined to be another bahrain even if all players were there if the arena is empty its irrelvant which players are there.

All other events for this season are good IMO

It seems to me some people just want any old cannon fodderto fill the calendar so the can say oh look we have an event in brazil whoopy do

Postby Witz78

the income the Championship League brought in could be filtered into the PTCs instead and spread these 12 throughout the year better with the CL no longer being required to fill blanks in the calendar.

The bookies are getting their 12 live PTCs now with all the betting interest etc so they no longer need the 16 days of the CL.

Plus regardless of whether the CL stays or not, now theres streaming income for the PTCs plus greater exposure, surely these must be due a slight increase in prize money?

Espec the ones played to live audiences bringing in money.

I honestly dont see the point of the Sheffield ones anymore, take these 4 closed doors ones, say 2 to Scotland and 1 to N.Ireland and another one to say that other Snooker Centre, is it in Leeds?

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:the income the Championship League brought in could be filtered into the PTCs instead and spread these 12 throughout the year better with the CL no longer being required to fill blanks in the calendar.

The bookies are getting their 12 live PTCs now with all the betting interest etc so they no longer need the 16 days of the CL.

Plus regardless of whether the CL stays or not, now theres streaming income for the PTCs plus greater exposure, surely these must be due a slight increase in prize money?

Espec the ones played to live audiences bringing in money.

I honestly dont see the point of the Sheffield ones anymore, take these 4 closed doors ones, say 2 to Scotland and 1 to N.Ireland and another one to say that other Snooker Centre, is it in Leeds?

Yea I agree with most of that. The CL was good for the players when tournaments were sparce but it provides no real service anymore.

N.I could well do with a PTC, same with Scotland. I would imagine the cost would be a worry for Hearn. Could the venues cover the costs? :chin:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:I honestly dont see the point of the Sheffield ones anymore, take these 4 closed doors ones, say 2 to Scotland and 1 to N.Ireland and another one to say that other Snooker Centre, is it in Leeds?

but witz that will add traveling expenses :-)

but seriously what would you do if anything regarding traveling expenses ?

snooker has not got the cash for that.... i sugested using 147 money to help players with that but no people was dead against that so what can be done ?

Postby Witz78

i know the hall at the Kelvin Hall they used for the Grand Prix and Legends would be ideal for just sticking a terraced row of seats along one side and having the 8 tables side by side down the length of the hall.

So long as it was over a Friday to Sunday i think it would do well.

Postby Bourne

Could they re-brand the CL and make it a 'challenger' style tournament for players ranked outside the top 32 ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Could they re-brand the CL and make it a 'challenger' style tournament for players ranked outside the top 32 ?

thats not a bad idea they could play that during a ranking event.

but having said that the vibe ive been getting is players need to spend more time at home and that would not achieve that goal.

im just mistifies what do people want from the sport it doesent make sense to me

Postby SnookerFan

Getting somewhat off the topic, why is this thread called; "What do people want from Snooker"? I hate to be pedantic, but it's a thread about whether the Championship League is still relevant. rofl

To answer the question though, I don't think it's as necessary any more. It was okay for giving players something to do, despite not being in front of fans or a proper television audience. Now we have the PTCs, so that need is gone. Also, now with that many more rankers and the PTC finals weekend. (And, of course, the mega-meaningful Seniors World Championship) there's a lot more scope for letting people who have won tournaments into the PL.

I can't see the reason to keep it on, unless the players object to it being brushed aside. But why would they? :shrug:

Postby GJ

bourne

imagine they announced a new tennis slam in india out of no where with no foundaton

it would be stupid abit like a certain new event in brazil ....

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Getting somewhat off the topic, why is this thread called; "What do people want from Snooker"? I hate to be pedantic, but it's a thread about whether the Championship League is still relevant. rofl

To answer the question though, I don't think it's as necessary any more. It was okay for giving players something to do, despite not being in front of fans or a proper television audience. Now we have the PTCs, so that need is gone. Also, now with that many more rankers and the PTC finals weekend. (And, of course, the mega-meaningful Seniors World Championship) there's a lot more scope for letting people who have won tournaments into the PL.

I can't see the reason to keep it on, unless the players object to it being brushed aside. But why would they? :shrug:

no its not off the topic

its fast becoming aparant people dont want a lot of snooker because it iunvolves to much traveling and back to back events.

something has to give to make room what would you do ?

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:funny how you werent against and up in arms over the hastily announced new ranker the Australian Open GJ?

yes aus have no top player no recent world champion

<doh>

brazil is another bahrain no foundation cannon fodder event

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:funny how you werent against and up in arms over the hastily announced new ranker the Australian Open GJ?

yes aus have no top player no recent wolrd champion

<doh>

Germanys hardly exactly awash with top snooker players and that tounry went down a treat :no:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:

yes aus have no top player no recent wolrd champion

<doh>

Germanys hardly exactly awash with top snooker players and that tounry went down a treat :no:

as monique said previously there is big interest in germany so thers a base there to work from

there has never been any mention of brazil in terms of any interets except the no hope who stayed on tour a year and suddenly retired real dedication <doh> rofl

brazil = South american bahrain

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:going off the subject theres another thread to talk about brazil.

im talking germany, brazil and bahrain in my last comment :?

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:ok GJ what would be your ideal tour and structure ?

Im happy with current set up with ptcs and majors

scotland having no event is a joke <doh>

so for me

ptcs
majors

fine

then other ranking events in places where there is genuine interest

China
germany
Aus
Scotland
Ireland

etc

Postby Wildey

i do agree scotland but thats out of Barry Hearns hands you need TV Revenue to hold a event and until http://www.liveworldsnooker.tv/ (but people want that for free so that wont happen) gets enough cash together then they have to rely on the BBC,Sky or ITV and unless they come forward then theres nothing.

Postby SnookerFan

I'd like to have a couple more longer frame tournaments, but I don't think that's liked, partly due to TV reasons that we're not getting them.

But with the World Championship the only tournament this season where the first rounders are longer then bo6, I'd like to see a couple more added for variety. Can't see it happening though.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:i do agree scotland but thats out of Barry Hearns hands you need TV Revenue to hold a event and until http://www.liveworldsnooker.tv/ (but people want that for free so that wont happen) gets enough cash together then they have to rely on the BBC,Sky or ITV and unless they come forward then theres nothing.

what i dont understand is that events like Australia, Germany etc that Eurosport cover them so surely if an event was announced in Scotland, Europsport would get involved so the lack of BBC involvement wouldnt be an issue.

as ive said before its not bias cos im up here in Jockoland, but for the country that has the World Champion, 3 more top 16 players and another 6 pros at least on tour, not to have any snooker this season is a joke.

I agree expanding the game globally but also sacrificing it in its home countries is wrong too.

Time Hearn pushed ITV and Sky to get involved in some proper rankers too though.

As for Brazil, the fact is they have as many pros on tour as Australia and more than Germany.

Figeurido, Santos are their 2 most famous players, plus the 2 boys at the WC didnt disgrace themselves either. Its silly to just say that theres no snooker interest at all there, if there wasnt where would these 4 have come from for starters, plus Hearn aint daft, hes not going to risk losing money and taking a gamble like this unless he genuinely sees potential growth and Brazil with its thriving 8x4 scene is worth taking a chance on. Just a pity Robbo and the rest didnt feel likewise.

I hope if it becomes a ranker next season that Hearn bans the stayways from entering as punishment.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:i do agree scotland but thats out of Barry Hearns hands you need TV Revenue to hold a event and until http://www.liveworldsnooker.tv/ (but people want that for free so that wont happen) gets enough cash together then they have to rely on the BBC,Sky or ITV and unless they come forward then theres nothing.

what i dont understand is that events like Australia, Germany etc that Eurosport cover them so surely if an event was announced in Scotland, Europsport would get involved so the lack of BBC involvement wouldnt be an issue.

as ive said before its not bias cos im up here in Jockoland, but for the country that has the World Champion, 3 more top 16 players and another 6 pros at least on tour, not to have any snooker this season is a joke.

I agree expanding the game globally but also sacrificing it in its home countries is wrong too.

Time Hearn pushed ITV and Sky to get involved in some proper rankers too though.

As for Brazil, the fact is they have as many pros on tour as Australia and more than Germany.

Figeurido, Santos are their 2 most famous players, plus the 2 boys at the WC didnt disgrace themselves either. Its silly to just say that theres no snooker interest at all there, if there wasnt where would these 4 have come from for starters, plus Hearn aint daft, hes not going to risk losing money and taking a gamble like this unless he genuinely sees potential growth and Brazil with its thriving 8x4 scene is worth taking a chance on. Just a pity Robbo and the rest didnt feel likewise.

I hope if it becomes a ranker next season that Hearn bans the stayways from entering as punishment.

Eurosport don't host the productions. They 'rent' the feed from the host broadcaster whoever that is in each Country.

Postby Witz78

well ill take a video camera to a Scottish event, its on Angles doorstep so he can do the commentary for me and well rent out this to Eurosport and split the money between us. problem solved.

Postby Wildey

Eurosport are Host Broadcasting of the Euro PTC this season and the Hosted The Last Ever British Open after Sky Pulled out (Emergency Measure) but thats all they have Hosted.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Snooker- ... um=twitter

interesting take of life on the PTC Circuit from a Amataur.

What can be done for Them ?

this season theres been so much campaigning to reinstall the 147 price so that the Rich gets Richer..

the only way i can see is either Take Cash away from the Rich to give to the Poor Or The Top players work their balls off to commit 110% to what Barry Hearn is doing to get more Money and hopefully then that would filter down.

i cant think of anything else.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:well ill take a video camera to a Scottish event, its on Angles doorstep so he can do the commentary for me and well rent out this to Eurosport and split the money between us. problem solved.

rofl

John Higgins might Help to Promote it for You

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:well ill take a video camera to a Scottish event, its on Angles doorstep so he can do the commentary for me and well rent out this to Eurosport and split the money between us. problem solved.

rofl

John Higgins might Help to Promote it for You

I'm hoping Honest John will volunteer to do commentary, if Witz is his co-commentator. :spot on:

Re: HEARN GOES NUTS OVER BRAZIL

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:Is it different to any work life dynamics?

You have people at the bottom of the ladder, minimum wage earners; you have those in the middle who earn a decent living and then those at the top. Not only do those at the top earn a bucket load but they get lots of perks etc.

This is no different to the snooker tour.

Good Point although at the Moment Players dont get a penny without reaching the last 64 in a tournament.

for example if you reached the last 64 last season in all ranking events (incl. PTCs)

Shanghai - £1,500
World Open - £2,500
UK Champs - £2,300
German Masters - no prizemoney
Welsh Open - £1,250
China Open - £1,500
World Champs - £4,600
12 PTCS - £1,200 (after £1,200 entry fee deducted)

so that would be a total of £14,850 earned before tax and expenses, though a player may have won 26 matches. Not a great deal and thats really best case scenario a tour newcomer could prob hope to achieve, so spare a thought for most of the other tour newcomers.

Postby Wildey

Last 64 of PTC x12 is £2,400 its £200 for last 64 although thats 200 euros in europe.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Last 64 of PTC x12 is £2,400 its £200 for last 64 although thats 200 euros in europe.

aye i know, i deleted the 1200 quid in entry fees off it straight away though