Topic locked

PTC and Amateurs

Postby Wildey

after reading this from Allan Taylor http://www.snookerbacker.com/2011/08/06 ... /#comments

So, the PTCs…..while I’m here I might aswell give you my opinion on the format. I’ve never known it to be so tough to turn pro just by looking at the layout of the tournament. You play minimum 2 pre-lims against amateurs before you get a shot at a pro, who your playing to earn the money you’ve already spent on entry fee, accommodation etc, and earn enough ranking points to join those same pro’s on the professional circuit……I understand where Big Bazza is coming from trying to encourage a lot more talent into the game but I do feel sometimes that the game is tough enough without trying to battle money troubles at the same time. If you are good enough you will make it and I totally agree with that. If you get up there the money is to be had, I also agree with that, however when your paying the same amount of entry fee as the world no.1 and your match isn’t getting refereed then where is the equality in that?! Yes they are professionals and us mere non-professionals but come on ‘H’ lad give us a break!!

and i do agree what he said its bloody tough winning 3 or even 4 matches just to make any progress BUT Barry Hearn's Priority is to the Main Tour Players thats why it was set up so they get playing opportunities adding Amateurs is a Bonus For Them and they can or not enter its their decision.

my personal thought is Barry Should Embrace The PTC More and Give Amateurs More Chances ie TOP 8 Amateurs Getting a place on Tour as well as the Top 8 Amateurs and Pros not in the top 64 in the end of season Rankings.

But Also Give Chances to Amateur Players without paying Entry Fee for Main Rankers Based on their position on the Order Of Merit just before Qualifiers for Ranking events start. so there are more preliminary matches on the day before the last 96.

The PTC was set up for Professional Players NOT Amateurs BUT should that change ?

Re: PTC and Amateurs

Postby Witz78

but if the "amateurs" get to enter the main ranking events too, then doesnt that make them pros?

personally id open up the tour to 144 players and implement the seeded 3 rounds of qualifying fully.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:but if the "amateurs" get to enter the main ranking events too, then doesnt that make them pros?

personally id open up the tour to 144 players and implement the seeded 3 rounds of qualifying fully.

well they are pros just there's not enough room for them on the main tour.

Postby gallantrabbit

I think it`s about right as it is in the PTCs. After all a lot of the amateurs are there just for the buzz of being at the same venue as some big names, that would be my case if I were based over there. For amateurs it`s not their main chance of getting on tour, those are separate events. It`s an experience albeit expensive one on a one day basis to get to mix with the big boys and to be honest an inexpensive way of testing their mettle.
Better than years ago when you paid a fortune, sat in Blackpool for weeks and went home winless and potless.

Postby Dannyboy

The system is 98% fine as it is now - even more so with the live streaming.

Its bloody tough getting through 2 maybe 3 qualifying matches just to get into the tournament, but you had the opportunity at the QSchool and you didn't take it unfortunately! There's only 128 spaces in each tournament!

1 thing that HAS to change is occasionally one amateur gets seeded straight through qualifying. If there's only 95 pros entering, just give an extra qualifying spot!

Postby Witz78

Dannyboy wrote:The system is 98% fine as it is now - even more so with the live streaming.

Its bloody tough getting through 2 maybe 3 qualifying matches just to get into the tournament, but you had the opportunity at the QSchool and you didn't take it unfortunately! There's only 128 spaces in each tournament!

1 thing that HAS to change is occasionally one amateur gets seeded straight through qualifying. If there's only 95 pros entering, just give an extra qualifying spot!

totally agree

thats the WPSBA muppets who dont know how to work out how to run a draw for you though, they dont realise whatever the number of pros you dont need wildcards, you simply adapt the qualifying tournament.

why the hell should someone get a bye into the last 128 when the rest of the amateurs have to play 2/3 games. farcial.

looking at the latest PTC order of merit i think theres only about 7 players who have made money so far of the 100s though and most of them were at the £200 mark for winning 1game so theyve only broke even on their 2 entry costs so far, let alone expenses so it really is tough going at the PTCs

Eden Sharav who made the QF of PTC1 was in a great position to build on and be assured of being one of the top 8 non top 64 players but lack of funding means he isnt in PTC2.3 and 4 so his good work is undone. <doh>

Postby Roland

lack of entering PTC2, 3 and 4 when he had the chance to you mean

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:lack of entering PTC2, 3 and 4 when he had the chance to you mean

it was down to funding issues

someone was on here at the time of PTC1 who know him and explained it <ok>

Postby Roland

ok fair enough

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:The system is 98% fine as it is now - even more so with the live streaming.

in PTC 3 There is only 95 pros and David Birley has been seeded straight through to the last 128 http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=76 and then you got Jason Tart and Sean O'Sullivan having got 3 matches just to reach the last 128.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

in PTC 3 There is only 95 pros and David Birley has been seeded straight through to the last 128 http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=76 and then you got Jason Tart and Sean O'Sullivan having got 3 matches just to reach the last 128.

ITS COS THESE MUPPETS THINK OK 128-95 PROS = 33

THE QUALIFYING DRAW WONT WORK WITH A NUMBER LIKE THAT SO THEY GIVE SOMEONE A BYE WHEN IT CLEARLY WILL WORK WITH ANY NUMBER AS I REMEMEBER EXPLAINING A WHILE BACK