Post a reply

A few snooker questions

Postby Tubberlad

I know I haven't posted in ages, but a few questions that have been bothering me a while...

First of all, which of these borderline greats (nonetheless all excellent players without doubt) do you consider to be 'great' snooker players?

Neil Robertson
Terry Griffiths
Jimmy White
Ding Junhui
Peter Ebdon
Ken Doherty
Cliff Thorburn
John Parrott

Another question:
In the last 15 years, which players have held the mantle of the world's best in your opinion?
In my own opinion:
1996-1997: Stephen Hendry
1998-1999: John Higgins
2000: Mark Williams
2001-mid 2002: Ronnie O'Sullivan
mid 2002-2003: Mark Williams
2004-mid 2005: Ronnie O'Sullivan
mid 2005-mid 2007: John Higgins
Mid 2007-mid 2009: Ronnie O'Sullivan
mid 2009-present day: John Higgins

Sorry if this article is a little pointless, I've had a few drinks, but both questions have been in my mind...

Re: A few ssnooker questions

Postby Witz78

im full of the cold and cant sleep so ill give it a go

Tubberlad wrote:I know I haven't posted in ages, but a few questions that have been bothering me a while...

First of all, which of these borderline greats (nonetheless all excellent players without doubt) do you consider to be 'great' snooker players?

Neil Robertson - despite his 6 rankers hes done this in a transitional period and against some debatable opponents, a few more majors before id class him as a great
Terry Griffiths - hes a great, one of the best of the 80s and played on at a high level in the top 16 until he was nearly 50
Jimmy White - he is a great, no contest, a legend, peoples champion, 50 games won at the Crucible, masters and uk titles
Ding Junhui - only 24 so a legend in the making with his 3 majors already
Peter Ebdon - hes borderline id say just like the 3 below but id rate him and Thorburn just ahead of Ken and John
Ken Doherty - see above
Cliff Thorburn - see above
John Parrott - see above

Another question:
In the last 15 years, which players have held the mantle of the world's best in your opinion?
In my own opinion:
1996-1997: Stephen Hendry - yeh he was still the man then
1998-1999: John Higgins - probably though Williams wasnt far away
2000: Mark Williams - Williams with Stevens and Lee not far behind
2001-mid 2002: Ronnie O'Sullivan - toss of a coin between Williams and Ronnie with Hunter not far behind
mid 2002-2003: Mark Williams - Williams yeh
2004-mid 2005: Ronnie O'Sullivan - yeh Ronnie
mid 2005-mid 2007: John Higgins - no his 2007 WC was a return to form, id have had Ronnie as the clear number 1 still despite his mood swings etc
Mid 2007-mid 2009: Ronnie O'Sullivan - yes still Ronnie
mid 2009-present day: John Higgins - sadly true and by some distance

Sorry if this article is a little pointless, I've had a few drinks, but both questions have been in my mind...

Re: A few snooker questions

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

On a season by season basis the best player would be.

1996-97 Stephen Hendry
1997-98 John Higgins
1998-99 John Higgins
1999-2000 Mark Williams
2000-01 Ronnie O'Sullivan
2001-02 ?
2002-03 Mark Williams
2003-04 Ronnie O'Sullivan
2004-05 Ronnie O'Sullivan
2005-06 John Higgins
2006-07 John Higgins
2007-08 Ronnie O'Sullivan
2008-09 John Higgins
2009-10 Neil Robertson
2010-11 John Higgins

Postby Wildey

i think for 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 John Higgins was virtually a also ran nobody id say was the best player thoes seasons you could even put a case for ding in 2005/2006 and Robertson for 2006/2007.

before the 2007 WC John Higgins career was looking bleak the new wave of Murphy and Maguire had over took him he was down to provisional no 14 or 15 all credit he turned it around but thoes 2 seasons he did not look like being WC Again.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i think for 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 John Higgins was virtually a also ran nobody id say was the best player thoes seasons you could even put a case for ding in 2005/2006 and Robertson for 2006/2007.

before the 2007 WC John Higgins career was looking bleak the new wave of Murphy and Maguire had over took him he was down to provisional no 14 or 15 all credit he turned it around but thoes 2 seasons he did not look like being WC Again.

Apart from the 2005 Grand Prix, and the 2006 Masters of course. :roll:

Alsoran. <doh>

Postby Tubberlad

Higgins was definitely the best in 2005/06, with Doherty second. If you want an also-ran in 2005/06, see O'Sullivan.

If I were to go season by season I'd say:
2010/11: John Higgins by miles
2009/10: Robertson just about from Higgins, but that's tight
2008/09: Higgins marginally from O'Sullivan
2007/08: Sullivan by miles
2006/07: Robertson
2005/06: Higgins
2004/05: O'Sullivan by miles
2003/04: O'Sullivan
2002/03: Williams by miles
2001/02: Tough one
2000/01: O'Sullivan
1999/00: Williams
1998/99: Higgins

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:i think for 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 John Higgins was virtually a also ran nobody id say was the best player thoes seasons you could even put a case for ding in 2005/2006 and Robertson for 2006/2007.

Apart from the 2005 Grand Prix, and the 2006 Masters of course. :roll:

Alsoran. <doh>

he wasent head and shoulders above that year it was pretty equal.

Postby Odrl

Wild wrote:he wasent head and shoulders above that year it was pretty equal.

I would say he way clearly the best that season. He won two of the four biggest events and reached two more ranking finals, losing both in deciders. The only other player to feature in more than one final was O'Sullivan, but he didn't win a title.

Of course Higgins did lose in the 1st round of the WC, and only reached the last16 of the UK Championship, so his season wasn't that great, but no one else had a better one. ;-)

Postby Wildey

Odrl wrote:
Wild wrote:he wasent head and shoulders above that year it was pretty equal.

I would say he way clearly the best that season. He won two of the four biggest events and reached two more ranking finals, losing both in deciders. The only other player to feature in more than one final was O'Sullivan, but he didn't win a title.

Of course Higgins did lose in the 1st round of the WC, and only reached the last16 of the UK Championship, so his season wasn't that great, but no one else had a better one. ;-)

well he must have played better than i thought but following season he was way down on that despite being World Champion.

Postby Roland

When Higgins was back to his best it was the year he won the Grand Prix after his wife kicked his butt to the practice table. That was around 2005/06 wasn't it?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:When Higgins was back to his best it was the year he won the Grand Prix after his wife kicked his butt to the practice table. That was around 2005/06 wasn't it?

i seem to remember even after the 2007 world championship there was talk of the new big 4

Ronnie
Selby
Murphy
Maguire

it was felt it was a swan song championship for Higgins a going away present but to the contrary that kicked start it and now 4 years on Williams and Higgins are back in the top 4 and very strong with it.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:When Higgins was back to his best it was the year he won the Grand Prix after his wife kicked his butt to the practice table. That was around 2005/06 wasn't it?

i seem to remember even after the 2007 world championship there was talk of the new big 4

Ronnie
Selby
Murphy
Maguire

it was felt it was a swan song championship for Higgins a going away present but to the contrary that kicked start it and now 4 years on Williams and Higgins are back in the top 4 and very strong with it.

yeh they were the BIG 4 around then as Higgins had a mare the following season 2007-08 didnt he and everyone commented at the time that Ronnie was the last of the "original" big 4 still to be around

whats the big 4 these days then?

personally id be inclined to say stuff the rankings and go Lee, Drago, Sunnywatt and Jimmy :dinner:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

Ronnie
Selby
Murphy
Maguire

yeh they were the BIG 4 around then as Higgins had a mare the following season 2007-08 didnt he and everyone commented at the time that Ronnie was the last of the "original" big 4 still to be around

whats the big 4 these days then?

personally id be inclined to say stuff the rankings and go Lee, Drago, Sunnywatt and Jimmy :dinner:

rofl rofl

yes you cant beat food for making someone a big 4 <laugh>