Post a reply

Are people slowly turning against Judd Trump?

Postby SnookerFan

Something I've noticed is that people have started criticisng Trump a bit lately. For not going to Brazil mainly, but I got the impression that some on here felt he wasn't trying too hard in Australia either.

When he won the China Open, and got to the Crucible final his popularity exploded, though there were a couple on here who were falling over themselves to praise him anyway. But recently I feel a few on here have lost a bit of respect for him.

Are people turning against him already, or is it just disappointment at wanting to see him more?

Re: Are people slowly turning against Judd Trump?

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:JT will always have hatahs, just comes with the territory <ok>

I didn't expect you'd have turned against him. :-D

I've noticed a few lovahs are grumbling about his lack of participation in Brazil though, hence the post.

Postby Witz78

Its more than just the Brazil thing.

the starter point was his arrogance on Twitter acting the big shot that got peoples backs up and turned people against him.

between that and his seemingly open admission he hadnt been practicing during the close season, it seemed like his attitude had changed in the wake of China and Sheffield.

Losing in PTC1 when he had a holiday to Magaluf already booked up was a bit suss

Not entering the Wuxi when he was invited seemed like a silly move

Australian attitude between losing then being desperate to get home ruined his International playboi reputation.

then he turns down the Brazil trip, thats the icing on the cake really.

I'll still support him WHEN he plays cos i like his style of play, infact it was me along with Bourne who championed his cause long before his success arrived and told yous all that he would make it, contrary to Wilds ramblings that he was past it and had missed his chance...........

However what i see now is an almost Ronnie attitude from Trump towards the game, he knows hes safe in the top 16 for a while now with all the points from last season, plus he seems to think he can get away with a lax attitude and little practice as hes already made it, but unlike Ronnie who at least had 10 years of success and dedication before he decided to start acting like he was bigger than the game.

Postby Roland

I don't see it myself. If they turn against him they either don't get him or are jealous of his success. He's the best thing to happen to snooker in recent times.

Postby SnookerFan

Yes, you and Bourne did champion him before he got success. I noticed you were one of the guys criticising him, Witz. Which is why I thought it was odd really. Even fans of his seemed to suddenly be saying bad things about him.

I'll be honest, I've yet to warm to Trump's personality. Don't get me wrong, his China Open win and his run to The Crucible final proved he has the skill you guys were hyping up that he had. I'm not doubting his ability as a player. But something about him as a person I never really warmed to. Don't know why. I always thought he was somebody who came across like they cared what everybody else thought. Like you, I feel he should concentrate on his game, and not on what people in the crowd think of him.

I tend to admire sportsmen more who can go out and win, and get driven when people criticise them. Not people who expect their little egos to get massaged all the time.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I don't see it myself. If they turn against him they either don't get him or are jealous of his success. He's the best thing to happen to snooker in recent times.

Do fans actually get jealous of a player's success? I've neve tried to play snooker, so didn't give a fig how good people are. I'd prefer everybody to be good to make it interesting. What is there to be jealous of? :shrug:

I probably fall into the not getting him group. But I've remained constant in my opinion of him. I don't like or dislike him more this season, then I did at Sheffield.

Postby snooky147

I would not go so far to say he is the best thing to happen to snooker ...YET
He still has a little to do to prove that in my opinion and part of that is to show the willingness to play
in events and show off the cars a little less. He is just a kid at the moment, who is enjoying himself so I cant
critisize too much for that.

Postby Roland

When I said recent times I meant in the last couple of years. I think he's still a kid, he's enjoying his life and fair play to him. I also think he's being misrepresented with the playboy tag as in he's a genuinely shy person and the bravado is a bit of an act. I certainly don't see any reason to bash him for it. He's not doing anyone any harm by it.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:When I said recent times I meant in the last couple of years. I think he's still a kid, he's enjoying his life and fair play to him. I also think he's being misrepresented with the playboy tag as in he's a genuinely shy person and the bravado is a bit of an act. I certainly don't see any reason to bash him for it. He's not doing anyone any harm by it.

I agree with what is bolded. I think we've over-reacted to him writing 'international playboi' on his twitter page, and are suddenly expecting him to act like James Bond. :roll:

I think the commentators, pundits and even some fans see him as young and popular and are thus trying to pigenhole him as the face of snooker. As you say though, he's more of a shy family boy, rather then some big time playa. But I get the impression he puts on a bit of an act, because he feels like he is supposed to. I'd rather see him just be himself personally.

Postby Wildey

not going to brazil makes him look wet and he is coming across as a bit of a tit on twitter but hes just a kid if he cant enjoy life at 21 when can he hence why a 21 year old was running home from aus and not going to brazil :?

Postby Bourne

I think it would be interesting to see Judd next week in the PTC, he's gone from a good qualifier in the cubicles who froze in front of the cameras to someone who thrived on the big stage and now can't win in front of 2 men and their dog ...

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:I think it would be interesting to see Judd next week in the PTC, he's gone from a good qualifier in the cubicles who froze in front of the cameras to someone who thrived on the big stage and now can't win in front of 2 men and their dog ...

That's a good point actually. rofl

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:not going to brazil makes him look wet and he is coming across as a bit of a tit on twitter but hes just a kid if he cant enjoy life at 21 when can he hence why a 21 year old was running home from aus and not going to brazil :?

Have you forgotten the Ding challenge match already? As for coming across as a bit of a tit on Twitter, takes one to know one.

Postby SnookerFan

I might check out his twitter page, I don't actually think I follow him. But he seems to get a lot of people talking. Wild isn't alone in his opinion that he comes across like a bit of a pleb, to be fair.

I'll check it out, see if his discussions about cars are as bad as people say.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:I might check out his twitter page, I don't actually think I follow him. But he seems to get a lot of people talking. Wild isn't alone in his opinion that he comes across like a bit of a pleb, to be fair.

it was the 20k watch he bought in Australia that snake hissed off a lot of people more than the 80k car i think

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Wild wrote:not going to brazil makes him look wet and he is coming across as a bit of a tit on twitter but hes just a kid if he cant enjoy life at 21 when can he hence why a 21 year old was running home from aus and not going to brazil :?

Have you forgotten the Ding challenge match already? As for coming across as a bit of a tit on Twitter, takes one to know one.

ding challange match not going to happen that week and as hendon said why dont they retire like Joe Davis and play all the rubbish he wants <ok>

Postby Roland

You said he looked wet for not going to Brazil, I pointed out the reason why he isn't going to Brazil is because people around him were probably filling his head with ideas about a big money match against Ding.

As for him spending £20,000 on a watch - who gives a buck? It's his money ffs! I don't remember seeing Stephen Hendry wearing a Casio

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I might check out his twitter page, I don't actually think I follow him. But he seems to get a lot of people talking. Wild isn't alone in his opinion that he comes across like a bit of a pleb, to be fair.

it was the 20k watch he bought in Australia that snake hissed off a lot of people more than the 80k car i think

The doesn't alter my opinion of him in any way, to be fair. Who gives a buck what he spends his money on? It's his money.

Besides, are you the best person to be discussing frugality? The guy who had his money nicked off of a prostitute he was chasing around? rofl

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

The doesn't alter my opinion of him in any way, to be fair. Who gives a buck what he spends his money on? It's his money.

Besides, are you the best person to be discussing frugality? The guy who had his money nicked off of a prostitute he was chasing around? rofl

im just stating the things that got him a negative reaction from people, follow him then youll soon learn <doh>

i couldnt give 2 hoots what he does, each to their own, ive blown more on wine, women and song than most people so im in position to criticise :chuckle:

but he doesnt need to ram his spending and lifestyle down peoples throats, thats what makes people think hes arrogant and big headed, plus the fact he has to keep going on about his lifestyle makes it seem false. If he was truly living up to his tag then hed be in the papers the way the likes of Jimmy, Alex etc used to be for their antics, plus ive yet to see a paparazi shot of him stumbling out of a club with a bird on his arm :limp:

hell, give me his snooker skills and 3 or 400k a year in my pocket and yous will see a new modern day hellraiser to match Higgins :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You said he looked wet for not going to Brazil, I pointed out the reason why he isn't going to Brazil is because people around him were probably filling his head with ideas about a big money match against Ding.

As for him spending £20,000 on a watch - who gives a buck? It's his money ffs! I don't remember seeing Stephen Hendry wearing a Casio

did i mention a watch ???

Postby Wildey

ohhh yes witz did <laugh>

his money spend it on what he wants but im not keen on people that brag about it myself but hes a kid and kids brag... "my dad got a bigger car than your dad" etc etc

Snooker would benefit more from going to brazil than exhibitions in china or Britain......if it dont work in brazil at least its been tried.

Postby Bourne

He's hardly ramming it down people's throats, as far as I can see he only talks about it on twitter ... if you're not interested in that sort of thing, don't follow him ? :shrug:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:ohhh yes witz did <laugh>

his money spend it on what he wants but im not keen on people that brag about it myself but hes a kid and kids brag... "my dad got a bigger car than your dad" etc etc

Snooker would benefit more from going to brazil than exhibitions in china or Britain......if it dont work in brazil at least its been tried.

the difference is the likes of Alex and Jimmy lived the highlife, they didnt just talk about it :bow:

Postby The Cueist

My opinion of JT is this,He is young and very talented and he knows what he can do on a Snooker table.

Let him live,He will come good again.

In my opinion he played better than Higgins in the World final,He just played a few shots too many to get to the winning line and this played into Higgins hands.

He must rue it now.

Nevertheless it will make him a shrewder match player in the future and i have every confidence he will lift the World title in the next 2 seasons.

As for what he spends his money on,I couldnt give a flying fig about it.It is his money and he has had to earn it.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:He's hardly ramming it down people's throats, as far as I can see he only talks about it on twitter ... if you're not interested in that sort of thing, don't follow him ? :shrug:

Exactly. I don't follow Judd, so had no knowledge he'd ever mentioned a watch. If he starts coming on the BBC and starts doing a Loadsamoney impression, giving it "I am significantly richer then you" stuff, I could see why people would be annoyed. But what is Twitter if it's not a place to discuss with your followers stuff that isn't important? rofl

Besides, why be jealous because Judd's got a watch, FFS? If he boasted about it, it's more humerous then annyoing because he thinks people would care. rofl

Postby Sickpotter

IMO Judd's behavior is perfectly normal for a young kid in this electronic age who suddenly has a whole wack of cash + fame

One might view his Twitter comments as bragging/poor attitude but think about it for a moment.

Here you have a young shy guy who in all likelyhood has few friends having spent the vast majority of his time alone with a snooker table.

What do you do when you get a new car or expensive watch? Do you tell your friends? Of course you do, you're proud and want to show it off to them. How do you go about it? You call, you invite them over, you casually drop by driving your nice new vehicle wearing your nice watch, you post pictures of it on FaceBook.

Trump with few personal friends but dying to tell "friends" about it took to Twitter looking for that "congrats" we get from real friends who are happy when we achieve something. Unfortunately it's Twitter and in general the vast majority of followers are NOT your friends and many will be jealous.

Someone mentioned Jimmy and Alex living the high life but not bragging about it and that's not exactly a reasonable comparison. Jimmy and Alex at the height of their games never had to contend with online media and social networking, it was not part of their lives. I never knew Alex personally and haven't met Jimmy but it's human nature to brag or show off new purchases, we want validation from someone beyond ourselves that we've accomplished something.

Believe me Alex and Jimmy were bragging/boasting/showing off when they were living the high life, they just didn't have social media to announce their actions for the world to judge minute by minute.

The only issue I have with Judd is his lack of preperation for this season. He's not approaching things in a professional manner ATM but it's likely just because he's still on a high from last year. A few losses should give him the slap he needs to get his attention back to practice. At least I hope so, Judd's great to watch and it'd be a shame if wasn't able to acheive the success his skill/talent warrants.

Postby Wildey

judds behavior is a bit baffling lol

on one hand hes this bragging 21 year old with the world at his feet but on the other hand he isnt going to do any samba in brazil and having fun ?

if ever there was a party exhibition snooker event its the Brazilian Masters and 30 year olds are going :?

maybe sonny is right someone been filling his head with all sort of bullocks ...

Postby SnookerFan

I must say, I don't see the big deal with him mentioning cars or watches on twitter. That's what twitter is for, talking bullocks for other people to read. If it offends you, don't follow him. If you're jealous because Judd has a watch, then you can't really have much going for you in life.

Postby Sickpotter

Wild wrote:judds behavior is a bit baffling lol

on one hand hes this bragging 21 year old with the world at his feet but on the other hand he isnt going to do any samba in brazil and having fun ?

if ever there was a party exhibition snooker event its the Brazilian Masters and 30 year olds are going :?

maybe sonny is right someone been filling his head with all sort of bullocks ...

I don't think Hearn and others who've suggested Judd's going to be the "savior" of snooker have done him any favors.