Post a reply

It's been a year since Alex Higgins died.

Postby SnookerFan

:rip:

Just noticed. Coincedentally, I was just reading the tributes thread of his last night, after I heard Amy Winehouse died. I didn't realise it was almost a year to the day.

You're still missed Alex. I was in the pub when I heard you'd died. I think you'd want it that way.

Re: It's been a year since Alex Higgins died.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote::rip:

Just noticed. Coincedentally, I was just reading the tributes thread of his last night, after I heard Amy Winehouse died. I didn't realise it was almost a year to the day.

You're still missed Alex. I was in the pub when I heard you'd died. I think you'd want it that way.

it was a year to the day but not the date Alex Higgins died on the saturday

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote::rip:

it was a year to the day but not the date Alex Higgins died on the saturday

eh how could it be a year to the DAY today (a Sunday) if Higgins died on a Saturday, its the year to the the date, or to keep things simple, exactly a year ago.

24/7

though i suspect Alex died 2 or 3 days before then in his flat as he hadnt been seen or heard from. Begs the question where were his care workers, friends or sisters checking up on him.

In a strange way it seems far longer than a year ago i must admit.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:I've been reading the Borrows book on Higgins. Hasn't endeared me to him much unfortunately...

Read Virgos book "Let Me Tell You About Alex" or Alexs autobiography "Through the Eye of the Hurricane" instead then, far better and more accurate as there coming from the horses mouth or from a witnesses/friends viewpoint.

Postby gallantrabbit

Witz78 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:I've been reading the Borrows book on Higgins. Hasn't endeared me to him much unfortunately...

Read Virgos book "Let Me Tell You About Alex" or Alexs autobiography "Through the Eye of the Hurricane" instead then, far better and more accurate as there coming from the horses mouth or from a witnesses/friends viewpoint.

Yeah right Witz I'm sure you believe that. One written by 'friend' Virgo shortly after Higgins's death, (sure he wouldn't be knowcking him too much then would he?) and one written by the man himself who was never to blame for anything.
I hope Lynn Higgins never read his autobiography as she'd have shaken her head off at all the nonsense he wrote.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Yeah right Witz I'm sure you believe that. One written by 'friend' Virgo shortly after Higgins's death, (sure he wouldn't be knowcking him too much then would he?) and one written by the man himself who was never to blame for anything.
I hope Lynn Higgins never read his autobiography as she'd have shaken her head off at all the nonsense he wrote.

No Alex admits he was a runt a lot during his book though he paints the stories with a humourous slant often, but the desperation of his life at times comes through, and its hard not to feel pity on him and the opportunities he blew.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

Not read the Virgo book, but I read the autobiography a few years back. Good book. <ok>

Postby hitman_ronnie1

time flies.

still think higgins 69 break in the 82 world's is the best i've ever seen.

under pressure as well. :bowdown:

a lot of ronnie's great breaks have been when he's coasting.

although i do recall that 147 in a decider against williams a couple of years back. :spot on:

Postby Wildey

Alex Higgins positional play was not the greatest but i also think the tables he played on was heavy thick cloths i don't think they suited his style of play.....reason he put so much body in to shots was to make the cueball dance to his tune i think today's tables are better suited to touch and feel players like Alex was.

Postby hitman_ronnie1

Wild wrote:Alex Higgins positional play was not the greatest but i also think the tables he played on was heavy thick cloths i don't think they suited his style of play.....reason he put so much body in to shots was to make the cueball dance to his tune i think today's tables are better suited to touch and feel players like Alex was.

yeah good point

no wonder the likes of thorburn & griffiths bored us all to tears. :-(

always remember my dad hated those 2 with a passion. <laugh>

think he actually sat thru that longest match they had.

and we moan about ebdon.

well except for SF. :emb:

Postby SnookerFan

hitman_ronnie1 wrote:
Wild wrote:Alex Higgins positional play was not the greatest but i also think the tables he played on was heavy thick cloths i don't think they suited his style of play.....reason he put so much body in to shots was to make the cueball dance to his tune i think today's tables are better suited to touch and feel players like Alex was.

yeah good point

no wonder the likes of thorburn & griffiths bored us all to tears. :-(

always remember my dad hated those 2 with a passion. <laugh>

think he actually sat thru that longest match they had.

and we moan about ebdon.

well except for SF. :emb:

I moan about Ebdon. It's just the sort of people me and you know moan about people who aren't Ronnie, because they think he's the only person who plays fast.

Happy medium, and all that.