Post a reply

Rolling Rankings Lets really roll them !!!

Postby Wildey

ive just done a quick calc on the Official Rankings after The Australian Open on that list points are carried on but nothing coming off because until shanghai we not reached a corresponding event from 2009/2010 season to take points off.

Thats how the official Top 16 will look like going in to the Shanghai masters (not the Provisional Rankings as shown on Pro Snooker Blog) why with a week to go before Qualifying couldnt that updated list been used and draw the Shanghai Masters Monday 25th of July (Tomorrow).

1. Mark Williams
2.John Higgins
3. Mark Selby
4. Ding Junhui
5. Shaun Murphy
6. Neil Robertson
7. Ali Carter
8. Stephen Maguire
9. Ronnie O'Sullivan
10. Graeme Dott
11. Judd Trump
12. Stuart Bingham
13. Mark Allen
14. Matthew Stevens
15. Stephen Hendry
16. Peter Ebdon

Re: Rolling Rankings Lets really roll them !!!

Postby PLtheRef

The problem is with the such short turn around, I mean it gets to a stage where we have a ranking tournament nearly every single week in the early part of the season.

Perhaps doing it after each TV Ranker would be better

Postby Roland

Every ranker is on tv apart from the PTC. I think what they've done at the moment is a shedload better than how it used to be and I'm happy with how it is now.

Postby SnookerFan

If you did it too often, it would become a nightmare to administer. How would your organise qualifiers, if you didn't even know who was going to be in the qualifying tournament on a month-by-month basis.

Postby Wildey

this thread was inspired by bourne on twitter and obviously witz ringing in my ear like a deranged budgie

Sonny wrote:Every ranker is on tv apart from the PTC. I think what they've done at the moment is a shedload better than how it used to be and I'm happy with how it is now.

yes it is shed loads better

and to answer Paddy after the Welsh Open there will be a seeding cut off point on the 19th of February and on 2oth of February the China Open qualifiers will start with new seedings used

Postby Roland

Mind you before this rolling rankings system came into operation I was thinking the best way to do it was to have the qualifiers before the event and cut off before each qualifying round so that's basically what you're saying. If you have two or three qualifiers back to back then obviously they won't refresh until after that main event has been played. If they overlap i.e. qualifiers for the following event played before the previous one has finished then that would explain why it's easier to do what they do now. PTCs are unaffected by rolling rankings seeing as the pros all enter at round 1

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Mind you before this rolling rankings system came into operation I was thinking the best way to do it was to have the qualifiers before the event and cut off before each qualifying round so that's basically what you're saying. If you have two or three qualifiers back to back then obviously they won't refresh until after that main event has been played. If they overlap i.e. qualifiers for the following event played before the previous one has finished then that would explain why it's easier to do what they do now. PTCs are unaffected by rolling rankings seeing as the pros all enter at round 1

i think in snooker it is tougher to do that because you dont own venues there could be Ranking events back to back like there was in the 90s and therefore have to play qualifiers earlier but if they CAN Do it why not

Ive looked at the Current Calender and they could easily do it this season like this

Australian Open after PTC 1
Shanghai Masters after Australia Open
October Ranking Event after PTC 7
UK Championship after October Ranking Event (if there will be one) if not PTC 8
German Masters after PTC 9
Masters after PTC 11
Sky Shootout after PTC 12
Welsh Open after German Masters
China Open,April Ranking Event and World Championship after Welsh Open

Postby Witz78

ive just returned from a pleasant evening after a £200 blowout on 3 bottles of fine wine with some American relations so please forgive me if this is a rant...................BUT

of course the rankings can and should be updated after each event, shocker Snookerfan doesnt think this is achievable

its hardly rocket science and far fairer. do them every week and after every PTC, that would help give the PTCs even more importance for players near rankings cut offs qualifying wise, prior to an event.

take the current scenario when the "top 16" who play in the Masters will be deciced FOUR MONTHS BEFORE that tournament, so much for bloody rolling.

Wild, are you sure Hendry really would be number 15 ????

Deranged budgie perhaps but the deranged budgie made you change your mind on starter points and now on the rolling rankings so next thing you will be agreeing minimum points per event and the qualifying process need tweeked too, but nevermind you, lets hope WPSBA see the error in their ways.

Postby snooky147

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Wild, are you sure Hendry really would be number 15 ????

Possitive http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/WorldR ... 76,00.html

the only one i got wrong was Dott they not given him the 700 points i did lol

They are annoyingly slow at awarding points due after production of a medical certificate, always have been.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

They are annoyingly slow at awarding points due after production of a medical certificate, always have been.

i think there should be across the board groundrules then its understood if you pull out of a match or tournament you get half your points no medical certificate or anything .

if you qualify then pull out you get 700 if you seed and pull out 450 no ifs buts or maybes.

Postby snooky147

Wild wrote:
snooky147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

i think there should be across the board groundrules then its understood if you pull out of a match or tournament you get half your points no medical certificate or anything .

if you qualify then pull out you get 700 if you seed and pull out 450 no ifs buts or maybes.

Ok, So let me understand you here. You want O'Sullivan and Dott to get 450 points for having to pull out because of illness?. Nope sorry mate, cannot agree with that...(there's a shocker rofl ). If they pulled out for no good reason they or anyone else should get ZERO points awarded, but if on production of a medical certificate they should get the loser's points as allocated.

Postby Wildey

ok maybe not lol there are different levels of pulling out

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 77,00.html

Williams has stretched his lead over John Higgins to nearly 5,000 points at the top of the list. Semi-finalist Shaun Murphy is up two places to fifth, while Stephen Hendry is back into the top 16 thanks to his first round win.

<doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Hendry is back in the top 16 after not being in the top 16 during the Aussie open despite being 16th seed rofl

this is so stupid lol