just surprised to see that the venue has changed. :evilgrin:

wembley has been doing it for yonks.

just checked wiki.

since 1979 it's been wembley.

what does everyone make of the change?

yay or nay?

Re: change of venue

Postby Roland

It couldn't stay at Wembley Arena - that's totally the wrong venue.

Postby Wildey

Wembly conference centre is no more they tried to re create it at the Wembly Arena it just looked wrong it felt like a aircraft hanger with a table in the middle.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Wembly conference centre is no more they tried to re create it at the Wembly Arena it just looked wrong it felt like a aircraft hanger with a table in the middle.

to be fair a lot of the venues look and feel like that too though

the Grand Prix in the Kelvin Hall was a big gym hall with them tacky temporary seating

at least the World Open last year was made to look more like a natural proper arena

the Grand Prix a few years back in the SECC mind you was just as bad as the Kelvin Hall in terms of the arena being in a spacious hall (the one where you could always hear them damn helicopters taking off <doh> )

the Welsh Open actually looks a good set up as the seats look comfy (no wonder Snookerfan likes it)

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Wembly conference centre is no more they tried to re create it at the Wembly Arena it just looked wrong it felt like a aircraft hanger with a table in the middle.

the Grand Prix in the Kelvin Hall was a big gym hall with them tacky temporary seating

at least the World Open last year was made to look more like a natural proper arena

the Grand Prix a few years back in the SECC mind you was just as bad as the Kelvin Hall in terms of the arena being in a spacious hall (the one where you could always hear them damn helicopters taking off <doh> )

the Welsh Open actually looks a good set up as the seats look comfy (no wonder Snookerfan likes it)

difference being is other tournaments dont attempt to re create the massive natural playing area of the conference centre .....

conference centre was massive but it was intimate.

Postby Witz78

the best new venue last year i would say was the Blackpool one, the arena was brilliant and similar to the Goffs one in Oirland.

Atmosphere was brilliant there.

the German arena was impressive but im still not entirely convinced by 5 tables on the go at once during a ranker. It maybe works in the PTCs where theres a more relaxed atmosphere among players with a club feel to the tournament, but in a proper ranker it kinda killed the atmosphere for me, as the fans were trying to watch too many games at once and no-one was really applauding for anything in particular, plus the best game on the TV table was the furthest away from all the fans too.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:the best new venue last year i would say was the Blackpool one, the arena was brilliant and similar to the Goffs one in Oirland.

Atmosphere was brilliant there.

the German arena was impressive but im still not entirely convinced by 5 tables on the go at once during a ranker. It maybe works in the PTCs where theres a more relaxed atmosphere among players with a club feel to the tournament, but in a proper ranker it kinda killed the atmosphere for me, as the fans were trying to watch too many games at once and no-one was really applauding for anything in particular, plus the best game on the TV table was the furthest away from all the fans too.

Blackpool was fantastic .....totally wasted years not playing there <doh>

the German Velodrome was another brilliant venue and the best atmosphere last season and it worked because it was heaving every session regarding 5 tables id rather it was less tables because id like to see more matches over more days but it did work and work well.

Postby gallantrabbit

Talking of venue changes, the Brazilian masters has also been changed, from 20 minutes from my office ....to a plane trip...Chance for a weekend beano methinks!!

Postby SnookerFan

hitman_ronnie1 wrote:just surprised to see that the venue has changed. :evilgrin:

wembley has been doing it for yonks.

just checked wiki.

since 1979 it's been wembley.

what does everyone make of the change?

yay or nay?

That's why I mentioned this forum to you. You come up with all the big news first. rofl

Personally, I always thought Wembley was soul-less and atmosphere-less. But it was more convenient for me to get to then the Ally Pally. So, of course, I was outraged. :grrr: <laugh> <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

SnookerFan likes it because tickets are cheap, and the hotels in Newport are half the price of anywhere else you'd go in the country. :D

Postby Dannyboy

I can promise all, having been there myself, that Ally Pally is a fantastic venue and certainly worthy for the Masters. The tournament will be held in the West Hall rather than the Great Hall, which is where the PDC World Championships (the proper one as Dave Hendon pointed out on commentary yesterday).

Lets just hope it doesn't snow during the tournament as its a bugger to climb up that hill in severe weather!

Postby Dannyboy

Witz78 wrote:

The Kelvin Hall was totally crap - just sums up Walker's reign.
Also the Welsh Open is moving to Llanelli apparently?

Postby SnookerFan

Dannyboy wrote:I can promise all, having been there myself, that Ally Pally is a fantastic venue and certainly worthy for the Masters. The tournament will be held in the West Hall rather than the Great Hall, which is where the PDC World Championships (the proper one as Dave Hendon pointed out on commentary yesterday).

Lets just hope it doesn't snow during the tournament as its a bugger to climb up that hill in severe weather!

Not been to the Ally Pally, but I am told the one problem is that it can be a bastard to get to. The one thing going for Wembley, is that it was 2 minutes away from the tube station.

Postby Dannyboy

SnookerFan wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:I can promise all, having been there myself, that Ally Pally is a fantastic venue and certainly worthy for the Masters. The tournament will be held in the West Hall rather than the Great Hall, which is where the PDC World Championships (the proper one as Dave Hendon pointed out on commentary yesterday).

Not been to the Ally Pally, but I am told the one problem is that it can be a chameleon to get to. The one thing going for Wembley, is that it was 2 minutes away from the tube station.

Not the easiest place in London, no, but its not that difficult. Its not actually in Central London that's why. There is no tube station, but the palace has its own mainline station on the First Capital Connect line from Kings Cross/Moorgate to Peterborough/Kings Lynn etc. As I say, pray that it doesn't snow because from the station it involves a 10 minute walk up a steep hill!

Postby Witz78

Dannyboy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Not been to the Ally Pally, but I am told the one problem is that it can be a chameleon to get to. The one thing going for Wembley, is that it was 2 minutes away from the tube station.

Not the easiest place in London, no, but its not that difficult. Its not actually in Central London that's why. There is no tube station, but the palace has its own mainline station on the First Capital Connect line from Kings Cross/Moorgate to Peterborough/Kings Lynn etc. As I say, pray that it doesn't snow because from the station it involves a 10 minute walk up a steep hill!

ah well we wont be seeing Snookerfan or Stephen Lee at this then :fart: :wretch:

Postby sundaygirl

I live on the Peterborough to Kings Cross line so that is a plus, but it sounds like I need to put hiking boots on my Christmas list ;-)

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:I live on the Peterborough to Kings Cross line so that is a plus, but it sounds like I need to put hiking boots on my Christmas list ;-)

It's my turn to buy the McDonalds this year.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:I live on the Peterborough to Kings Cross line so that is a plus, but it sounds like I need to put hiking boots on my Christmas list ;-)

you smooth talker you <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

you smooth talker you <laugh>

I'm not stretching to Burker King. Does she think I'm made of money? rofl

Postby Wildey

simplysnooker wrote:I'm tempted to go this year. :)

McDonalds or Burger King :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:I'm tempted to go this year. :)

McDonalds or Burger King :chin:

It's a big choice, as he only goes there once a year.