Post a reply

The Battle for the top 16

Postby Witz78

The continual battle to be in the top 16 and gain automatic qualification to events is one of the ongoing features of the new rolling rankings system.

The current period is arguably the most important other than the one later in the season which determines who gets direct entry to the Crucible.

This current period will determine who gets directly into the UK First Round without qualifying and also the top 16 into the prestigious "invitational" Masters in January at the Ally Pally. Will there be a Ronniecard if O'Sullivan falls out of the elite before then?

After todays play in R1 of the Australian Open here is the current state of play.

Bear in mind that after the Australian Open, there will still be 5 more PTCs and the Shanghai Masters to come offering a total of 17,000 potential points for players to chase.

Current top 16 players in serious danger of dropping out are O'Sullivan, Allen, Stevens, Ebdon, Cope and Hendry, with Lee, Bingham, Gould and Mark Davis those best postioned to replace them.

As you can see things are extremely tight with only 2,380 points separating these 10 players.

11 Ronnie O’Sullivan 34680
12 Mark Allen 34505
13 Stuart Bingham 33860
14 Matthew Stevens 33815
15 Peter Ebdon 33680
16 Martin Gould 33675
-----------------------------------------------
17 Stephen Lee 33595
18 Stephen Hendry 32980
19 Mark Davis 32625
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Re: The Battle for the top 16

Postby Matt_2745

Just remember that the points to come off at cut-off point one aren't set in stone yet (quite why I don't know but hey), so if it's just Shanghai and not the GP, it will change slightly.

World Snooker said on Twitter than they hope to confirm next week.

Postby Steve K

Interesting to concieve that Ronnie could potentially miss out the Masters. He will need to attend all the major ranking events or he could slip further. Winning another PTC or two wouldnt hurt though...

Postby Witz78

latest positions after todays games. Allen moves up to 11th.

11 Mark Allen 35705
12 Ronnie O’Sullivan 34680
13 Stuart Bingham 33860
14 Matthew Stevens 33815
15 Peter Ebdon 33680
16 Martin Gould 33675
----------------------------------------------
17 Stephen Lee 33595
18 Stephen Hendry 32980
19 Mark Davis 32625
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Stevens will move up to 12th above Ronnie if he beats Wenbo.

Hendry will need to make the semis here to get back into the top 16 on the provisional list.

Postby Wildey

he wont make the semis murphy playing to good anyway he just needs to carry on playing like he did yesterday without the 3 frame blip in the middle and just build up some confidence 5 PTC and shanghai masters to go.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Hendry must be gutted he didn't beat Selt.

acording to selt on WS.Com hendry played badly .........for me that whats disappointing not losing but never gave himself a chance to win.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

acording to selt on WS.Com hendry played badly .........for me that whats disappointing not losing but never gave himself a chance to win.

the problem is even when hes winning round 1 games hes playing crap and just managing to edge them.

theres no sign of any form from Hendry and hasnt been for a good few years.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

the problem is even when hes winning round 1 games hes playing crap and just managing to edge them.

he played well to beat Gould much better than selt played to beat Higgins.

Postby Witz78

latest positions after todays games. Bingham cements his 13th place with a win over Ding whilst Stevens misses the chance to go 12th and Hendry fails to close the gap on the top 16.

Only Allen, Bingham and Davis in with a chance of adding to their totals this week now.

11 Mark Allen 35705
12 Ronnie O’Sullivan 34680
13 Stuart Bingham 34360
14 Matthew Stevens 33815
15 Peter Ebdon 33680
16 Martin Gould 33675
------------------------------------------------
17 Stephen Lee 33595
18 Stephen Hendry 32980
19 Mark Davis 32625
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

well from what i saw Gould played sh*t

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:acording to selt on WS.Com hendry played badly .........for me that whats disappointing not losing but never gave himself a chance to win.

but hendry played well you cant dictate how ur opponent play all you can do is take your chances which he did yesterday today he didn't.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

but hendry played well you cant dictate how ur opponent play all you can do is take your chances which he did yesterday today he didn't.

well the frames Gould won he played crap in but Hendry also played crap in them, it was a case that somebody had to win them. Also Gould ought to have won the 5th frame.

Its a sign of how crap Hendry is these days that as a seed, when he beats a qualifier 5-3 its deemed a far better performance from him in doing that, than what a rookie around 50th in the rankings had to do to beat the World Champion / No.1

Postby Wildey

frames Hendry won he played well frames gould won both was crap Hendry was definitely the best player and gould was far from his best.

Postby GJ

a 5-1 win tells me hendo was schooled

FACT

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:a 5-1 win tells me hendo was schooled

FACT

"After beating John I felt amazing but I was brought down to Earth with that performance.

"I didn't feel like I did yesterday and Stephen didn't play well at all. I only had five hours sleep last night so that might not have helped but if Stephen had played well he would've won.

Postby GJ

so he wins 5-1 playing rubbish

selty is destined for a far higher ranking

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:so he wins 5-1 playing rubbish

yes cant ask for more...

he was still on twitter about an hour ago at about 3 am

GO TO BED LOL rofl rofl

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:so he wins 5-1 playing rubbish

he does seem to score heavily but as a person i cant say ill ever warm to him.

and as for the rankings, well hes making up for lost time this week as his career had stalled in the last 12-18 months.

And Wild, your clutching at straws on Hendrys form.

Gould was straight onto Facebook after Hendry match to say his performance was "SHOCKING" so he still managed to take 3 frames and ought to have won another, despite playing crap so Hendry couldnt have been all that good.

Postby Witz78

latest positions after todays games. Bingham overtakes Ronnie into 12th place with his win today whilst Allen also cements his 11th place and moves almost 3,000 points away from the dreaded the 17th place. Mark Davis defeats leaves him over 1,000 points off the top 16.

Only Allen and Bingham in with a chance of adding to their totals this week now.

11 Mark Allen 36305
12 Stuart Bingham 34960
13 Ronnie O’Sullivan 34680
14 Matthew Stevens 33815
15 Peter Ebdon 33680
16 Martin Gould 33675
------------------------------------------------
17 Stephen Lee 33595
18 Stephen Hendry 32980
19 Mark Davis 32625
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Postby Wildey

this time last year Allen was looking down the barrell of a gun just hanging on in there not entering PTC losing early in rankers so this is a great start for him.

Postby Witz78

latest standings after Shanghai qualifiers

11 Stuart Bingham 38615
12 Mark Allen 36305
13 Martin Gould 34830
14 Stephen Lee 34750
15 Ronnie O’Sullivan 34680
16 Matthew Stevens 33815
-------------------------------------------------
17 Mark Davis 33780
18 Peter Ebdon 33680
19 Stephen Hendry 32980
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Any lingering doubts over whether Bingham would def end up in the top 16 at the next cut off point surely ended today after his win. Gould also in line to make his debut among the elite with Lee set for a return at the expense of Ebdon, Hendry and Cope who may well drop out of the top 16.

A long way to go though with the Shanghai Masters and 5 PTCs still to be played before the cut off, a maximum of 16,020 points at stake.

Postby Witz78

latest standings as we reach last 16 stage of PTC2. These PTCs could be Ronnies saviour. Without the 2,760 points hes already earned from them hed be 19th at the moment

11 Stuart Bingham 38975
12 Mark Allen 36865
13 Ronnie O’Sullivan 35440
14 Stephen Lee 35110
15 Martin Gould 34830
16 Matthew Stevens 34375
17 Mark Davis 34340
18 Peter Ebdon 33680
19 Stephen Hendry 33340
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:latest standings as we reach last 16 stage of PTC2. These PTCs could be Ronnies saviour. Without the 2,760 points hes already earned from them hed be 19th at the moment

11 Stuart Bingham 38975
12 Mark Allen 36865
13 Ronnie O’Sullivan 35440
14 Stephen Lee 35110
15 Martin Gould 34830
16 Matthew Stevens 34375
17 Mark Davis 34340
18 Peter Ebdon 33680
19 Stephen Hendry 33340
20 Jamie Cope 32300

Ronnies career will now be UK ranking events with UK based PTC's keeping his ranking up. he is willing to do well in these events so he does not have to travel abroad.

Postby Roland

Soon as he won yesterday he was straight to Matt asking him what his ranking was like now. It's pretty obvious he's playing a top 16 game and will pull out of events if his place is secure.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Soon as he won yesterday he was straight to Matt asking him what his ranking was like now. It's pretty obvious he's playing a top 16 game and will pull out of events if his place is secure.

thats interesting to hear hes so interested in his ranking.

given the points he has to come off still this season, it bodes well for success in the UK and Worlds too then.

he is allegedly going to Shanghai tho cos i read on Twitter him, Judd and Jack will be flying out on the Friday before the tourny.