Topic locked

Re: Bahrain Take Two..

Postby Wildey

Australians love sports and they love winning and winners even more ...

Bahrain had nothing for the sport Australia has Neil Robertson there's nothing guaranteed but not trying this would be totally stupid..

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Australians love sports and they love winning and winners even more ...

Bahrain had nothing for the sport Australia has Neil Robertson there's nothing guaranteed but not trying this would be totally stupid..

Remember as well that the World Championship has been held in Australia as well in the "modern era" of the sport.

Horace Lindrum
Eddie Charlton
John Campbell
Warren King
Quinten Hann

before Robbo there was an Australian presence in the game and hopefully this can kick start things again.

South Africa and Canada are other past colonial territories we have to be looking to hit again i feel.

Postby Wildey

yes Australia has a undercurrent of a fanbase BUT how far off the beaten Track is Bendigo ??

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:??

:john:

Once again a simple effort from simples side kick :wave: :fart:

Postby Witz78

to be fair to Randam, Rolf Harris was on some Aussie programme the other day and he drew a snooker table then had to ask the studio guests if they "could tell what it was yet?"..............

Postby Bourne

I assumed this was one of Snookerfans threads on that silly dancing show when I saw the title, looks like I was wrong :limp:

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:Australians love sports and they love winning and winners even more ...

simple and stupid

= RANDAM

:wave:

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:I assumed this was one of Snookerfans threads on that silly dancing show when I saw the title, looks like I was wrong :limp:

yeh its either a Pasodoble or a Double cheeseburger with that one :limp: :dinner:

Postby GJ

This thread confrms one thing

randam is certainly simple fan's side kick as his threads are as pointless as simple fan's :chuckle: :bow: rofl

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:This thread confrms one thing

randam is certainly simple fan's side kick

are you still Wilds though? :D

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:

im proud to be labelled a side kick of the most knowledgeable snooker fan on here

:bowdown: :bow:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

im proud to be labelled a side kick of the most knowledgeable snooker fan on here

:bowdown: :bow:

:fart: :irk:

Postby Witz78

the same knowlegable fan thats being converted left, right and centre into changing his opinions and agreeing with yours truly.............

Postby SnookerFan

Though the scheduling was a farce, and they did it in a country where nobody was interested in paying to see matches other then a few billionaires, I quite enjoyed Bahrain. You got to see a few people progress you didn't usually see, and was a snooker event more then we were expecting. It was a tournament I wanted to look on the bright side of. :D

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:Though the scheduling was a farce, and they did it in a country where nobody was interested in paying to see matches other then a few billionaires, I quite enjoyed Bahrain. You got to see a few people progress you didn't usually see, and was a snooker event more then we were expecting. It was a tournament I wanted to look on the bright side of. :D

worst ranker ever <ok>

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Though the scheduling was a farce, and they did it in a country where nobody was interested in paying to see matches other then a few billionaires, I quite enjoyed Bahrain. You got to see a few people progress you didn't usually see, and was a snooker event more then we were expecting. It was a tournament I wanted to look on the bright side of. :D

best ranker ever <ok>

:-)

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

best ranker ever <ok>

Yeah, I thought you'd like it. :-)

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

best ranker ever <ok>

infact id go as far to say that Robbos win shouldnt even be classed as a full ranking win given the joke of an event it was.

Says it all that Stevens reached the final and Hendry the semis rofl

Postby Bourne

And Marcus Campbell even got a 147 there :john:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:worst ranker ever <ok>

Probably was a contender, wasn't it? Just for the sheer poor quality organisation that went into it. I was one of those who had brought tickets to the Haywards Heath Premier League, and from memory I did that a couple of months before they'd announce the ranker. The fact that four big names had other commitments was completely World Snooker's fault, even if Ronnie pulling out wasn't. That's before we've even mentioned the fact that World Snooker moved it there without doing any research into how popular it was, because they thought sucking up to a rich country was a good idea. And the fact the crowd never had more then six people in it, and they were all sheikhs, could either be comical or annoying depending on how much of a good mood you were in when you watched it.

Like I say, I remember trying to look on the positive side during the tournament. You get to see more of people lower down the pecking order, it was a nice surprise to suddenly have snooker on etc. But, the incompetence that went into that tournament was staggering. Especially as World Snooker then couldn't afford to run the Malta Cup later in the season. Whilst the Bahrain was on, I had been conning myself saying "well there must be some logic to this", perhaps thinking that as it was in Bahrain some rich oil tycoon was basically funding the whole tournament because him and some of his mates wanted to be entertained. Obviously, that was a complete bullocks. Which is why that tournament really failed. World Snooker was trying to get fans in a rich country, whilst ignoring countries like Germany that was begging to have tournaments in them.

I must have weird taste though, because even after saying all that, I still found it a more enjoyable spectacle then the World Open. But that's just me being simple again. rofl

Postby Wildey

witz

it was nowhere near the worst ranker ever did you even watch it ? ffs idiot

yes audience was not great but the snooker produced was worth it even the qualifiers braught out a amazing performance from Liang Wenbo.....it was a great tournament played in the wrong country.

and apparently Aussie Open Tickets is selling very well http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/new ... 24360.aspx

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:witz

yes audience was not great but the snooker produced was worth it even the qualifiers braught out a amazing performance from Liang Wenbo.....it was a great tournament played in the wrong country.

and apparently Aussie Open Tickets is selling very well http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/new ... 24360.aspx

If it was nowhere near the worst ranker, then enlighten me as to what rankers were near the worst ranker, and what indeed was the worst ranker.

Bahrain for me, summed up Walkers shambolic reign in a nutshell and anyone trying to kid themselves on it wasnt a farce of an event obviously has ulterior motives for doing so.

Postby Wildey

the only thing with the Australian open coverage eurosport only showing the evening session 10.30am in the UK

But the afternoon session is 4am in the UK.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:witz

If it was nowhere near the worst ranker, then enlighten me as to what rankers were near the worst ranker, and what indeed was the worst ranker.

Bahrain for me, summed up Walkers shambolic reign in a nutshell and anyone trying to kid themselves on it wasnt a farce of an event obviously has ulterior motives for doing so.

That seasons Grand Prix won by John Higgins had lower standard of play by miles.

Postby Bourne

I wasn't exactly a huge fan of Bahrain but the way people used it as a stick to beat Robbo was embarrassing, just because he was good enough to take advantage of the weaker field ... and let's be frank it was hardly a fluke win, he was world champion 18 months later.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:the only thing with the Australian open coverage eurosport only showing the evening session 10.30am in the UK

But the afternoon session is 4am in the UK.

lets be honest, other than Snookerfan who in their right mind is gonna reset the sands of time and get up at silly o'clock <doh>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I wasn't exactly a huge fan of Bahrain but the way people used it as a stick to beat Robbo was embarrassing, just because he was good enough to take advantage of the weaker field ... and let's be frank it was hardly a fluke win, he was world champion 18 months later.

a few weeks later Shaun Murphy won the UK with John Higgins the only man that reached the Quarter Final of the UK that was not playing in Barhain. so was it a weaker field ?