Post a reply

Eurosport Snooker Coverage !!!

Postby Wildey

anyone who knows me knows how incompetence winds me right up and if i thought eurosport not showing the snooker today was wrong id be turning the air very "bucking grunting twiddling blue" ;-)

but im not because without eurosport we would be limited to 3 TV Tournaments and 2 Shot clock sky events.

im of the generation seeing live snooker on TV was a luxury it just did not happen very often in the 1980s.

This Week Eurosport has shown about 20 hours Live Snooker in 4 Days. its just this weekend Theres other commitments they have to show what can they do ?

i think criticizing eurosport in any way is wrong.

Re: Eurosport Snooker Coverage !!!

Postby Roland

Eurosport is awesome, easily the best sports channel going. It's been going for donkeys years now and it's always had the quirky charm factor it still possesses. You cannot criticise it for coverage of snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

I must confess, I do sometimes take objection at the scheduling on Eurosport. If it says snooker starts at 1pm, and then starts it at quarter past two, I think that's amateurish. I know on some occasion live sport will overrun, but I think it's particularly unforgivable as half they seem to sacrifice live sports over pre-taped analysis shows. Whether the sport is tennis, snooker, skiing, motor racing or whatever else they have, surely showing it live when scheduled is more important then putting on an unscheduled show rounding up the weeks premiership goals. Especially when that's done on impulse, and something else is scheduled.

On saying that, I do agree with the points raised that they have brought us some coverage of the Wuxi Classic, which I complained that they didn't have last year. Fair play. And I have found a good stream that shows you Eurosport Player for free over the internet. Bit naughty, but I already pay to have the channel, I'm not paying more on principle. I think the fact that they are showing even an event this small shows they have a commitment to snooker. And if we didn't have Eurosport, we wouldn't be able to see the China Open or Shanghai Masters, and would have to rely on TV packages that had BBC Wales for the Welsh Open. Not to mention the newer created tournaments in Germany, Brazil and the PTCs that are going to start being televised. So the scheduling criticism aside, you can't complain about Eurosport. (Especially as it's sometimes the snooker that overruns and ruins the tennis, not the other way around.)

Postby Matt_2745

I agree generally that Eurosport do a good job and that they get too much stick, though I disagree with the view that criticising them in any way is wrong.

There are faults, in terms of presentation it's not fantastic and the scheduling does sometimes leave something to be desired, though given the amount of sports they are trying to cover it is to some extent understandable. The commentary also suffers at times due to the commentators not being at the venue.

But all that said, what Eurosport has done to generate interest in the sport overseas is fantastic and without it we probably wouldn't be seeing PTC events taking place in Germany, Belgium and Poland. As a result you can forgive the fact that the coverage is a little rough around the edges.

Agree on not paying for the Player on principle too, not paying twice.

Postby SnookerFan

Matt_2745 wrote:I agree generally that Eurosport do a good job and that they get too much stick, though I disagree with the view that criticising them in any way is wrong.

There are faults, in terms of presentation it's not fantastic and the scheduling does sometimes leave something to be desired, though given the amount of sports they are trying to cover it is to some extent understandable. The commentary also suffers at times due to the commentators not being at the venue.

But all that said, what Eurosport has done to generate interest in the sport overseas is fantastic and without it we probably wouldn't be seeing PTC events taking place in Germany, Belgium and Poland. As a result you can forgive the fact that the coverage is a little rough around the edges.

You learn new things from the Eurosport commentators too. I remember them telling me once that Steve Davis beat Ronnie O'Sullivan to win the 2003 Masters. It took them a while to work out that it was in 1997, not 2003. Which everybody at home knew. rofl

Postby Roland

Yes you can't set your Sky+ up and go out then come home and expect what you've recorded to be what you wanted. But then again, as a sports channel to have on in the background it's great and there's always something worth watching. But then again I love the Tour de France and all winter ski based sports as well as snooker and I like other things they show like Moto GP and 3 cushion billiards.

If it was all football, rugby, horse racing, cricket and that kept interrupting snooker in the same way other sports do then I guess I'd be more annoyed. But I won't be criticising Eurosport any time soon because it's probably my favourite tv channel and the HD channel shows snooker in full HD when it's on which is the only channel in the whole of television through a sky box which does that.

Postby Wildey

Matt_2745 wrote:I agree generally that Eurosport do a good job and that they get too much stick, though I disagree with the view that criticising them in any way is wrong.

i do agree and i phrased it wrong without criticism nothing will improve so criticism is good....i just feel sometimes we forget just how much snooker eurosport covers in comparison to other channels or even sports .....

take tomorrow there's 8 hours TV Coverage with the second session starting 1pm both tables are shown this is unprecedented for a team snooker event.

in 1996 none of that was shown live when scotland won.... it was on a friday highlight package ON Sport on Friday with the finals on saturday and sunday highlights.

im confident if eurosport can show it they would.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't really like winter sports, or motor racing. And pretty much loathe tennis. So it does annoy me more. There is occasional boxing on Eurosport which is alright, though 999 times out of 1000 it's either a month after the fight actually happened or it's two boxers that I've never heard of. (Or both.) So, the only thing I tend to watch on it is the snooker. With the occasional strong man contest or 3 cushion billiards match if I tend to find it on.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I don't really like winter sports, or motor racing. And pretty much loathe tennis. So it does annoy me more. There is occasional boxing on Eurosport which is alright, though 999 times out of 1000 it's either a month after the fight actually happened or it's two boxers that I've never heard of. (Or both.) So, the only thing I tend to watch on it is the snooker. With the occasional strong man contest or 3 cushion billiards match if I tend to find it on.

yup but a tennis fan would think the same about snooker etc etc.

they cant win can they.

Postby Wildey

well over 100 hours LIVE Snooker in july god seriously

Postby MarkSelbyNo1Fan

Wild wrote:well over 100 hours LIVE Snooker in july god seriously

Where's the concluding Wuxi Classic Final then? They're not showing the final of this or the WC so it defeats the purpose really.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I don't really like winter sports, or motor racing. And pretty much loathe tennis. So it does annoy me more. There is occasional boxing on Eurosport which is alright, though 999 times out of 1000 it's either a month after the fight actually happened or it's two boxers that I've never heard of. (Or both.) So, the only thing I tend to watch on it is the snooker. With the occasional strong man contest or 3 cushion billiards match if I tend to find it on.

they cant win can they.

No, I take that point. Except, they rarely have more then two live shows on at a point. So could have live snooker on one channel and live tennis on another. Okay, a tennis fan might want more then one match to chose from, as might a snooker fan, but that's something of a compromise.

I get the problem if a live sport overruns. I remember one year the China Open final was on late, due to some under-21 England football game going to extra time and penalties. It happens. What annoys me is when they suddenly decide to put on some pre-taped sport's review show or Goal round-up effort on.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

they cant win can they.

No, I take that point. Except, they rarely have more then two live shows on at a point. So could have live snooker on one channel and live tennis on another. Okay, a tennis fan might want more then one match to chose from, as might a snooker fan, but that's something of a compromise.

I get the problem if a live sport overruns. I remember one year the China Open final was on late, due to some under-21 England football game going to extra time and penalties. It happens. What annoys me is when they suddenly decide to put on some pre-taped sport's review show or Goal round-up effort on.

there was Tour de france,Tennis,womans Football Live it was pretty full on with sports

Postby Roland

You certainly can't complain about the invitational exhibition Wuxi event. That's the sort of event I don't see the point in televising for saturation purposes.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You certainly can't complain about the invitational exhibition Wuxi event. That's the sort of event I don't see the point in televising for saturation purposes.

you cant even complain about snooker in july on this scale never before seen anything like it.

Postby Matt_2745

Sonny wrote:You certainly can't complain about the invitational exhibition Wuxi event. That's the sort of event I don't see the point in televising for saturation purposes.

I agree actually, love snooker but even had it been on, I'd not have been desperate to watch it as demonstrated by the fact that I've not bothered with a stream this weekend.

That's just me though, I'm sure there are lots of people out there who do want to watch it, I'm just not going to get too worked up over the fact that they've overlooked this one.

It's when they start skipping ranking finals that it gets frustrating.

Postby Roland

I'm not interested in the World Cup either although alternative shot doubles could be quite entertaining if a little drawn out. One play ends up potting all the reds and the other all the colours so it's a bit bizarre.

The first proper snooker since PTC1 starts in Australia though.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I'm not interested in the World Cup either although alternative shot doubles could be quite entertaining if a little drawn out. One play ends up potting all the reds and the other all the colours so it's a bit bizarre.

The first proper snooker since PTC1 starts in Australia though.

im looking forward to the World cup its what snooker needs it can get mundane one on one every tournament it needs to be split up and this is a better way to do it than with shot clock gimmicky rubbish.

but im not that keen with what they done with it id much rather there was 3 man teams with proper doubles matches..

Postby GJ

how can it be considered a proper event when thailand was 2 teams in it

what other proper world cup in other sports would allow a country to have an A and B team

FARCE

Postby SnookerFan

I looked forward to the Wuxi Classic, I must confess. Just because, though not in any way an important tournament, it was BO 9/11/18 so good length matches. Though, I take the point that it's not the end of the world if you miss some of it. I didn't bother watching the second semi-final on live stream. Just couldn't be fussed.

Though, couldn't give buck about this saturation issue that keeps coming up. Both tennis and the Tour-De-France are :bird: sports for me, so couldn't give a flying rubbish whether they are on or not. And am not watching the women's world cup, but that reflects my lack of dedication towards watching football, rather then the fact that women are playing it.

I'm the one who was looking forward to some live action being on, but was just grateful to the matches that were on, I wasn't outraged by the ones that weren't.

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:I looked forward to the Wuxi Classic, I must confess. Just because, though not in any way an important tournament, it was BO 9/11/18 so good length matches. Though, I take the point that it's not the end of the world if you miss some of it. I didn't bother watching the second semi-final on live stream. Just couldn't be fussed.

Though, couldn't give buck about this saturation issue that keeps coming up. Both tennis and the Tour-De-France are :bird: sports for me, so couldn't give a flying rubbish whether they are on or not. And am not watching the women's world cup, but that reflects my lack of dedication towards watching football, rather then the fact that women are playing it.

I'm the one who was looking forward to some live action being on, but was just grateful to the matches that were on, I wasn't outraged by the ones that weren't.

Well said SF.

You have to live what eurosport do for us. As someone said earlier, we would only have 3 televised tournaments else. Imagine that! :shock:

Have you seen how much world cup they are covering! WOW. Impressive.

But the commentators really do get annoying. Firstly they dont know what they are on about half the time, they are never funny, and I dont like their accents.

But all in all they do a great job. But I think a Eurosport 3 would help the situations. Or ''Eurosport Cycling'' <laugh>

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Or ''Eurosport Cycling'' <laugh>

<laugh>
Last edited by Wildey on 10 Jul 2011, edited 2 times in total.

Postby GJ

Cycling is far more important to eurosport than snooker

FACT

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Cycling is far more important to eurosport than snooker

FACT

doubt that TBH but there is more snooker than cycling on eurosport so i can live with it.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:deluded

from what ive seen its not really a TV Sport or spectator sport its a participation sport...yes eurosport cover it because its a major european event but there is no way the viewing figures is more for cycling than snooker on eurosport.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:Well said SF.

You have to live what eurosport do for us. As someone said earlier, we would only have 3 televised tournaments else. Imagine that! :shock:

Have you seen how much world cup they are covering! WOW. Impressive.

But the commentators really do get annoying. Firstly they dont know what they are on about half the time, they are never funny, and I dont like their accents.

But all in all they do a great job. But I think a Eurosport 3 would help the situations. Or ''Eurosport Cycling'' <laugh>

There certainly is a lot.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:deluded

from what ive seen its not really a TV Sport or spectator sport its a participation sport...yes eurosport cover it because its a major european event but there is no way the viewing figures is more for cycling than snooker on eurosport.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

They're not showing the last two quarter finals on Saturday afternoon or the two semis and the final on Sunday. That says a lot more than them showing endless hours of coverage during the week when theres no other sport on and most people are at work anyway.