Post a reply

Snooker isnt big in china...

Postby randam05

Right lets say there are 1.3 billion living there and only 63 million here. Around 3 million of our population watch the WC final on average in the last few years. Now how many watch it there? 125 million?

Of course thats a lot and only a guesstimate to be honest.

BUT 3/63 million = 4.6% of country watch it.

AND 125 million/1.3 billion = 9.6% of country watch it.

So really snooker is more popular in Britain! Just because the country has more viewers doesnt mean its more popular as a lower percentage of the country watches it.

If you increased Britains population to 1.3 billion im sure we would have over 100 million viewers easily!

People always say why are china so good at every sport. Well because they have over 1/6 of the worlds population living there! So of course there will be people good at something there!

Anyway, ive never seen a snooker tournament with more spectators than one in the UK. Or ive never seen one with the venue packed as we so often do here in UK. Take the Hainan Classic, Wuxi Classic this year, Shanghai last season and even the China Open, the crowds are never that large! Although this may come down to economy and price of tickets I dont know.

But the stats above I find interesting.

PERCENTAGES HAVE BEEN CORRECTED TO MY POINT ALMOST BECOMES IRRELEVANT! :hatoff:
Last edited by randam05 on 07 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Snooker isnt big in china...

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:BUT 3/63 million = 21% of country watch it.

:redneck:

on that basis if 14,285,714 people in the UK watch it then that is 100% of the population :D

Postby Wildey

percentages don't matter ...

its how many people world wide watch it and if there's more people living in china and that means more want to watch it then we go after them.

everyone in china not snooker fans thats only natural same way people in Britain hate football with a passion but there's more people watching snooker in china than there are brits watching football here.

Postby Roland

without using a calculator it looks just under 5% to me because 3/60 would be 5%

Postby Witz78

regardless of Randams error with the percentages i agree with his point.

Crowds and prize money for the events in China are a joke when you consider.......

- China is the fastest growing economy in the world and one of the m0st afluent nations

- There are supposed to be TV audiences of 100's of millions in China yet one man and his dog turn up for these events

- The prize money is pretty much on a par with the paltry Welsh Open for the Shanghai Masters and China Open, so much for this great economy and huge interest, where are the big name sponsors with big cash then?

I just feel that its time the Chinese put their money where there mouth is and delivered a huge cash injection into the sport. If there serious about becoming a key part of snooker then they need to up the ante, to justify so much of the season and games direction being in the Far East. Why should we head over there for buttons?

Personally i think a seperate Chinese tour and feeder to the main tour would be a better proposition with the Chinese main tour events played over there having their own stars from their own tour taking on the best of our main tour players, with the Chinese players having the opportunity to play in all the Majors over here, or should they wish to be based in the UK then fair enough they can play in all events.

I just think theres money to be made in Europe and far greater expansion of the game is required here. Im not convinced that this seasons ventures into Australia and Brazil wont prove to be new versions of the Bahrain debacle either TBC but youve got to try i guess.

Postby Wildey

i do agree europe needs to explore more but you got to expand....

for years ive said world snooker was concentrating far too much on china that they were calling the shots to some degree. you got to take the sport everywhere then maybee that will force the hand of china to put more in.

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:without using a calculator it looks just under 5% to me because 3/60 would be 5%

buts 3's into 63 would be 21 for sure. So I just took it as that without thinking, but I guess it must be 2.1% cause I did think it seemed a bit much!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What grade did you get at GCSE maths?

:evilgrin: <laugh>

Postby Roland

125 million/1.3 billion = 10.4% of country watch it.

Where does this come from given 1.3 billion divided by ten is 130 million?

Postby Wildey

this is getting off the subject but i got higher grades in maths than English <laugh>

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:

is it 2.1 % then? :redneck:

what do they teach kids in maths these days at school <doh>

3/63

3 being the numerator and 63 being the denominator

so for the total to be 100% the numerator has to be equal to the denominator, ie. it has to be 63/63

63 is actually a multiple of 3 so a simple reduced fraction can be derived where 3/63 becomes 1/21 as 21 is a 1/3rd of the denominator 63, hence the numerator 3 reduces to a 1/3rd of its value too, down to 1.

to work out the percentage we then form a new fraction with the denominator 21 but making the numerator 100 which represents the 100 %

100/21 = 4.76%

and since the numerator had already been reduced down to 1, there is no need to apply a multiple to the 4.76% hence there is your answer.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:this is getting off the subject but i got higher grades in maths than English <laugh>

so you got a 6 in Maths and a 7 in English :john:

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:this is getting off the subject but i got higher grades in maths than English <laugh>

so you got a 6 in Maths and a 7 in English :john:

or a C and a C minus if that makes more sense

god knows what way they mark your grades compared to jockoland

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:

is it 2.1 % then? :redneck:

what do they teach kids in maths these days at school <doh>

3/63

3 being the numerator and 63 being the denominator

so for the total to be 100% the numerator has to be equal to the denominator, ie. it has to be 63/63

63 is actually a multiple of 3 so a simple reduced fraction can be derived where 3/63 becomes 1/21 as 21 is a 1/3rd of the denominator 63, hence the numerator 3 reduces to a 1/3rd of its value too, down to 1.

to work out the percentage we then form a new fraction with the denominator 21 but making the numerator 100 which represents the 100 %

100/21 = 4.76%

and since the numerator had already been reduced down to 1, there is no need to apply a multiple to the 4.76% hence there is your answer.

buck me ive been watching snooker to long i only deal with adding and subtracting these days rofl

Postby randam05

I remember now! haha thanks, been a long time since I dont maths, well just over a year ha!. But they dont teach you the stuff you need in life. They teach you how to simply x(2+4)squared-(8.7x3) or how to expand (3+4)b and other crap like that.

Still I got a high grade B so cant complain.

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:I remember now! haha thanks, been a long time since I dont maths, well just over a year ha!. But they dont teach you the stuff you need in life. They teach you how to simply x(2+4)squared-(8.7x3) or how to expand (3+4)b and other crap like that.

haha ah well now i have conformation on what i thought that when you hear on the news every year that record numbers have passed their exams, that the damn things must be getting easier :chuckle:

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:I remember now! haha thanks, been a long time since I dont maths, well just over a year ha!. But they dont teach you the stuff you need in life. They teach you how to simply x(2+4)squared-(8.7x3) or how to expand (3+4)b and other crap like that.

haha its been 15 years since i left school but i rattled off that quick fractions summary easy enough :hatoff:

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:If you got a B then I'm complaining to the schools watchdog!

Its been a long hard year of doing A levels without maths so its left my mind really. But thats why I said about they dont teach you the right stuff. They teach you equations, quadratic equations, inequalities, simulatenous equations.

This is a simulataneous equation, does anyone know how to solve it?

7. Solve this pair of simultaneous equations.
7x - 6y = 17
2x + 3y = 19

?

This is why I dropped maths after GCSE and was very happy with my B.

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:

Its been a long hard year of doing A levels without maths so its left my mind really. But thats why I said about they dont teach you the right stuff. They teach you equations, quadratic equations, inequalities, simulatenous equations.

7x - 6y = 17
2x + 3y = 19

?

right so your after the values of x and y

give me a min

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:

7x - 6y = 17
2x + 3y = 19

?

give me a min

No cheating! :dinner:

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:

7x - 6y = 17
2x + 3y = 19

?

give me a min

too easy :win:

x = 5
y = 3

7x-6y=17............... (7*5)-(6*3) = 35-18 = 17

2x+3y=19 ...............(2*5)+(3*3) = 10+9 = 19

Postby Tubberlad

Haha, I had to sit foundation maths because my teacher thought I mightn't pass ordinary :chuckle: has an A student in English ever sat foundation maths before, I reckon I'm one of a kind!

Postby randam05

Very well done witz! How about solving this inequality:

2. If p is a whole number and -2 less than or equal to p < 5 then:
p =

Im a lot better at english by the way. Got an A for my A level coursework essays ;)

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:Very well done witz! How about solving this inequality:

2. If p is a whole number and -2 less than or equal to p < 5 then:
p =

Im a lot better at english by the way. Got an A for my A level coursework essays ;)

right then im offski, got better stuff to do than bloody maths equations :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

all very well and good but

how much people are watching snooker in china rofl