Post a reply

Under-21 World Championship

Postby Tubberlad

I write this with a bit of a porter head on me, so forgive me if it's a slightly half-baked idea.

Is it just me, or is too little made of the under-21 World Championship? Is it really being promoted as much as it should be, and is it really a tournament for the best young players in the World? First of all it seems to be played in all sorts of far flung destinations each season, in uninspiring set-ups, and it hardly gets any publicity.

Well, remember how a few weeks back I touted the idea of a day off before the World Final? The problem we seemed to be encountering was that there was nothing to fill the gap, and things like third-place play-offs are never the most exciting occasions.

So how about this? Get the eight, twelve or sixteen of the best players under the age of 21 to play at the Snooker Academy in Sheffield, while the main event is on at the Crucible. Try and get red-button coverage from time to time, and a run down during the BBC's highlights show? Use the current format that's in place for the UK Championship, ie best of 17 until the best of 19 final.

And, how's this for an incentive? Play the final at the Crucible on the third Saturday, so the finalists can have a rest day.

Again, I understand that this day-off idea is not the most popular, but I believe most of the players would support the idea. Also, this is giving some badly needed publicity to the younger generation, and they get some early experience of a Crucible final.

This idea came from the All-Ireland football & hurling championship finals (the two biggest days on the Irish sporting calender), where the under-18 finals are played as curtain raisers to the big event. It's a system that works well, and it shocases younger players on national television, and at Croke Park.

Re: Under-21 World Championship

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Nothing wrong with that idea at all tubber. I'm all for a day off before the final is played & filling it with the World Under 21 final is a great idea.

A lot of positives can be drawn from it.

Postby Roland

Yeah I like it. Sorry, I read it before but moved on. I don't think they'll give the players a day off before the final unless they change the calendar and hold the Worlds at a different time i.e. not finishing on a 3 day weekend. You can't hold an event like that which builds to a climax over the previous two weeks then on the last Saturday, which is when most people can go and watch live or on tv, not have any serious action. But I like the idea of bigging up the under 21 final and showing it on tv.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It's a good idea to showcase the U-21 Title and I've always thought that it should have had more effort put into it. I'm not sure about having it on the third Saturday though. Most of the World Championship takes place on weekday mornings and afternoons when a lot of people can't see it. Like Sonny already said it would be a mistake to leave a Weekend day empty. Also Snooker matches are much longer than an All-Ireland Final so it's harder to have a warm up match.

Would a 8 or 16 man U-21 WC have any chance of a TV deal or respectable crowds? If it did that's what I would do. The winner could get an invite to the Masters or even automatic qualification for the main World Championships.

Postby Wildey

im all for promoting the youth at sheffield but im dead against a break before the final.

that is a john higgins idea that should be binned sorry.

Postby Tubberlad

I like the response, and having heard peoples opinions, I probably agree that the day off idea should go <ok> I myself would prefer to stick with the current format, I just think the players would prefer it. But the points being made are more than valid.

But at least people seem in favour of promoting this. Maybe an under-18 World Championship would be more suitable though, most are playin professionally before being 21.

Postby Wildey

i don't think the players would prefer it.....maybe lazy players would like it which john has gone on record saying hes lazy.

it was never a issue in the grinding days of the 80s i don't understand why its been brought up today :?

Postby Wildey

yes under 21 is old fashioned now ...

ok in the bygone age but if your not a pro at 16 or 17 now its a shock.

another thing i don't like is Alfie Burden being World Amateur Champion there should be some kind of criteria in that if you played pro snooker and reached a venue even the crucible in 1998 surely you should not be eligible to enter a World Amateur championship ...you are effectively a pro player.

Postby Rocket_ron

tubber,
I think its a good confindence boost for young up comming players. I also agree that there should be more coverage via red button

I'm pro under 21 world championship and pro this article <ok>

Postby Wildey

Cheesyman99 wrote:I can't even remember who won it last year

holty wasn't it <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:

holty wasn't it <laugh>

When he said under 21, he was talking about their age not their average break.

Postby Cheesyman99

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

holty wasn't it <laugh>

:seif:

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Cheesyman99 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

holty wasn't it <laugh>

:seif:

:)

Postby t.travis

Hi
Under 21s World Snooker in Monteal Canada ( Should be Live Scores with Canada Snooker ) (will post link Later if required )

Nick Jennings ***********
Mitchell Travis ***********
Sam Harvey ( Possible )
Callum Downing ***********
Three of the above players are to represent England in Canada in the World under 21s Snooker on the 12th July to the 23th July 2011.
They are expected to pay there own Air fares, Hotel Bills and any other expenses.
Why is there no support for these players. And why does Joe Snooker out there Know nothing about it.
Please pass this on.
The advent Venue in Canada is The Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel.
I look forward to your reply.
T.T.