Post a reply

Rules of snooker question

Postby Xen

This happened at the end of a terrible game on Friday and although we came to one decision on the night, we've both since thought that we came to the wrong decision. If at all possible would you be able to include the specific rule that pertains to this question please. Many thanks. Xen.

Only the black is left on the table

Player A is 7 points ahead of player B

Therefore player B needs to pot the black, which then brings him to level, and then the black can be re-sp0tted

BUT

Player A pots the black and then goes in off

Does this mean:

a) Player A forfeits the game ?

b) Player B is awarded 7 points (which therefore brings him level) the black is re-spotted and they carry on ?

And if the answer is b then I presume it would be player B's turn first with the re-spotted black ?

Re: Rules of snooker question

Postby Roland

A foul on the black ends the game unless the scores are tied. It's a good question about who's turn it is. I guess if the black is still on the table it's the player with ball in hand, but if the white and black are sunk together then... hang on a minute I can remember this happening.

Postby Xen

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm VERY impressed. Not only with the speed of the answer but in you having an encyclopedic memory to bring up a televised display of the question.

However, the commentary on it wasn't English and with my Eastern European not up to scratch (Not sure if it's Ukrainian or Russian they're speaking) I was unable to understand what was being said. It APPEARED to me that it was his shot BUT Hendry had the CHOICE as to whether or not to take it or put Bond in. Which is what he ended up doing.

So any idea on where the rule is on this and if indeed the fouled upon player (in this case Hendry) DOES have the choice as to whether to play or not ? In our scenario last Friday I was Bond and my friend Hendry. It had been a terrible game by both of us throughout and when he went in off we both just assumed he'd lost. It was only yesterday we realised we may have been wrong. Thanks again for a speedy solution.

Postby Roland

Sorry I thought you'd have picked up that there was indeed a coin toss before the respot. You can see the referee has removed one of his gloves to do it.

I don't know the answer to the question if the black ball stays on the table though. I'm sure someone around here does. Logic says you play on from where the balls land.

Postby Wildey

once the final black goes in the frame is over if it goes in and a foul is occurred the frame is still over but if the scores are level nobody has won the frame so there's a re spot with a coin toss if the black had gone in and a player fouls who ever was in the lead wins the frame.

Postby Monique

4. End of Frame, Game or Match
(a) When only the Black is left, the first score or foul ends the frame excepting only if the following conditions both apply:
(i) the scores are then equal, and
(ii) aggregate scores are not relevant.
(b) When both conditions in (a) above apply
(i) the Black is spotted,
(ii) the players draw lots for choice of playing
(iii) the next player plays from in-hand, and
(iv) the next score or foul ends the frame.

that looks pretty clear to me. The fact that the black is or isn't on the table is irrelevant. The black is spotted and ii to iv apply.

Postby Wildey

yes its a toss of coin or lag depending what you prefer.