Topic locked

Re: World Cup Line Up

Postby Wildey

Higgins gets beat if players step it up it has to be said to many flopped last season against him.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Higgins gets beat if players step it up it has to be said to many flopped last season against him.

Dott in the UK
Williams in the UK Final
Ronnie in the WC
Williams in the WC
Trump in the WC

all instantly spring to mind, was a good few more instances i just cant remember at the moment :chin:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Higgins gets beat if players step it up it has to be said to many flopped last season against him.

Dott in the UK
Williams in the UK Final
Ronnie in the WC
Williams in the WC
Trump in the WC

all instantly spring to mind, was a good few more instances i just cant remember at the moment :chin:

They played very well to get the lead and went in to hibernation yes john played well to win but he doesn't go in to hibernation.

Postby snooky147

It was only a kick that stopped Graeme from Beating Higgins. Would not call that a flop.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:It was only a kick that stopped Graeme from Beating Higgins. Would not call that a flop.

Yeh but throughout that game Dott had Higgins on the ropes but couldnt capitalise and get more than a lead of a frame i think, countless times hed be 40 or 50 odd ahead and let Higgins do his classic comeback in a frame.

Maguire also could have beaten Higgins in the UK too if i recall?

Lee in the UK too it could be argued had Higgins on the ropes but failed to keep it going. 4-4 at the end of 1st session was a case of missing the boat.

Lisowski ought to have beaten Higgins in Germany, what was he 3-1 up and lost 4-3 <doh>

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:It was only a kick that stopped Graeme from Beating Higgins. Would not call that a flop.

Yeh but throughout that game Dott had Higgins on the ropes but couldnt capitalise and get more than a lead of a frame i think, countless times hed be 40 or 50 odd ahead and let Higgins do his classic comeback in a frame.

Lee in the UK too it could be argued had Higgins on the ropes but failed to keep it going. 4-4 at the end of 1st session was a case of missing the boat.

Lisowski ought to have beaten Higgins in Germany, what was he 3-1 up and lost 4-3 <doh>

OK, I'll give you that. <cool>

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

OK, I'll give you that. <cool>

Regarding Lee in the UK thats one match where John really did play exceptional Snooker to win .

Postby Witz78

yeh ill give Higgins credit in that match, for once he had to raise his game really high to match Lee.

Lee lost belief from 5-4 up when he realised Higgins wasnt playing his normal lucky B game. Had Higgins not stepped it up, then Lee would have saw him off comfortably that day.

Ironically Lee was probably involved in the 2 highest quality games last season, the other being the 5-4 win over Williams.

Postby Wildey

Group A

Wales
Egypt
Pakistan
Germany
Ireland

Group B

China
Thailand 1
UAE
Malta
Australia

Group C

England
Brazil
India
Belgium
Northern Ireland

Group D

Scotland
Thailand 2
Afghanistan
Poland
Hong Kong

Scotland has definitely hit Gold.

Postby gallantrabbit

Witz78 wrote:Personally i think Santos should get a WIldcard onto tour in place of Igor then.

Santos is no mug from what ive heard and would bolster German ranks on the tour again just as we really could do with a German on tour too given the games expansion there.

Joke statemernt Witz. Santos should get a card why? Cos he's a Brazilian playing out of Germany?
Igor would love to continue but doesn't have a sponsor. There's a living to be made here as well, (not a great one admittedly) so all in all he's made the best choice for his family I would think.

Postby gallantrabbit

That's life. The top boys win frames on aura. Reardon did it so did Davis, Hendry Ronnie etc.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Personally i think Santos should get a WIldcard onto tour in place of Igor then.

Santos is no mug from what ive heard and would bolster German ranks on the tour again just as we really could do with a German on tour too given the games expansion there.

Joke statemernt Witz. Santos should get a card why? Cos he's a Brazilian playing out of Germany?
Igor would love to continue but doesn't have a sponsor. There's a living to be made here as well, (not a great one admittedly) so all in all he's made the best choice for his family I would think.

Well if thats a joke statement by me, then i presume it was a joke decision by Hearn last year to give Igor and Reanne wildcards last year?

And its also a joke then that entry to tour for a lot of players come via national nominations rather than earning the right properly?

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:Group A

Wales
Egypt
Pakistan
Germany
Ireland

Group B

China
Thailand 1
UAE
Malta
Australia

Group C

England
Brazil
India
Belgium
Northern Ireland

Group D

Scotland
Thailand 2
Afghanistan
Poland
Hong Kong

Scotland has definitely hit Gold.

Definitely some interesting matches there. This could be quite entertaining. I must say, when this was first announced, I thought it would be another gimmick tournament that might be okay, but would be forgotten once the real snooker started. However, with the people in it, it could be quite interesting. Though Group D is quite weak, there are enough decent players/teams there that this might be worth watching. And you do get to see a mix of players from countries that aren't snooker hotbeds, some new stars may be born.

Postby gallantrabbit

Witz78 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:

Well if thats a joke statement by me, then i presume it was a joke decision by Hearn last year to give Igor and Reanne wildcards last year?

And its also a joke then that entry to tour for a lot of players come via national nominations rather than earning the right properly?

Can forgive Hearn for Reanne as a novelty and Figueiredo got to the Amateur final. If other were nominated and have no talent I wouldn't have them either particularly and that includes Santos, but also wouldn't replace one countryman with another to make up numbers.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:The winning pair get a holiday villa in Spain. OR 261K.

:hatoff:

Can they trade it in for what's in the box?

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:NEIL PRACTICING HARD FOR THE WORLD CUP WITH HIS NEW TEAM MATE

good one witz would you like me to post a photo of jimmy white post hair op as its as relevant as that pic

rofl <laugh> :chuckle:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:NEIL PRACTICING HARD FOR THE WORLD CUP WITH HIS NEW TEAM MATE

good one witz would you like me to post a photo of jimmy white post hair op as its as relevant as that pic

rofl <laugh> :chuckle:

Jimmy won a ranker a decade after his hair op :hatoff:

Postby Monique

more info
schedule of play:

11 July
Group A: Pakistan v Republic of Ireland
Group A: Egypt v Germany
Group D: Thailand 2 v Afghanistan
Group D: Hong Kong v Poland

Group B: China v Malta
Group B: Thailand 1 v Australia
Group C: India v Northern Ireland
Group C: Brazil v Belgium

12 July
Group B: Malta v Australia
Group A: Pakistan v Germany
Group C: India v Belgium
Group C: England v Brazil

Group A: Wales v Egypt
Group B: Thailand 1 v UAE
Group D: Scotland v Poland
Group D: Afghanistan v Hong Kong

13 July
Group A: Egypt v Republic of Ireland
Group B: Thailand 1 v Malta
Group C: Brazil v Northern Ireland
Group D: Scotland v Afghanistan

Group B: China v UAE
Group A: Wales v Germany
Group C: England v Belgium
Group D: Thailand 2 v Hong Kong

14 July
Group B: UAE v Malta
Group A: Wales v Pakistan
Group C: Belgium v Northern Ireland
Group D: Poland v Afghanistan

Group B: China v Australia
Group A: Germany v Republic of Ireland
Group C: England v India
Group D: Scotland v Thailand 2

15 July
Group B: UAE v Australia
Group A: Egypt v Pakistan
Group C: Brazil v India
Group D: Thailand 2 v Poland

Group A: Wales v Republic of Ireland
Group B: Thailand 1 v China
Group D: Scotland v Hong Kong
Group C: England v Northern Ireland

16 July
QF's

17 July
SF's

Finals

and some rules:

Round Robin Group Stages
Each match will consist of five frames and ALL frames must be played.

Each player to play one frame against each player in the other team plus one doubles frame.

Matches will be played in following order:
Frame 1: singles (Player 1 vs. Player 1)
Frame 2: singles (Player 2 vs. Player 2)
Frame 3: doubles (alternate shots)
Frame 4: reverse singles (Player 1 vs. Player 2)
Frame 5: reverse singles (Player 2 vs. Player 1)

One point will be awarded in the group for every frame won

Following group stages if two teams are tied on the same number of points then the winner of the match between those two teams will be ranked higher in the group.

If two or more teams are tied – a blue ball shoot out will be held for those teams tied but only to determine positions 1 and 2 in group.

If two or more teams are tied for positions 3-5 then the prize money is shared equally between teams. Players are not permitted to play consecutive frames in singles matches.

Knock Out Stages
Matches will be played over the best of 7 frames with a singles frame to determine winner if match is tied at 3 frames each (captains nominate player for deciding frame) as follows;

Frame 1: singles
Frame 2: singles
Frame 3: doubles (alternate shots)
Frame 4: reverse singles
Frame 5: reverse singles
Frame 6: doubles (alternate shots)
Frame 7: sudden death singles players nominated by captain.

Players are not permitted to play consecutive frames in singles matches.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:impressive mon Snooker Island is ahead of WorldSnooker.com http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/PTTEGA ... 52,00.html

Thank the Ronnie "fanboys" and "fangirls" for this. They digged it out, and their man isn't even playing in it... <ok>

they not all bad ;-)

Postby randam05

Very interesting Monique, thanks. But do we know if there will be any television coverage yet? else im not really interested.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Very interesting Monique, thanks. But do we know if there will be any television coverage yet? else im not really interested.

apparently eurosport will be covering last few days..

Postby Roland

Have to admit I won't be tuning in but wish the event all the best

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Have to admit I won't be tuning in but wish the event all the best

ill keep you posted I MISS NOTHING lol

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Why would you not watch it sonny? :sad: :chin:

theres so much snooker this season some does pick and choose what floats their boat.........

i bet if its on tv and hes got time he will watch it he has snooker in those veins lol

Postby Roland

It just don't float my boat, nothing more than that