Post a reply

Canadian Championships 2011

Postby bayleyWAG

Hi, guys.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet here, but the round robin of the Open Snooker division of the CBSA Canadian Cue Sports Championships is in its last day today. There's a uStream channel that for once (ahem) isn't showing pool...because there's a break between games.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cbsa-cana ... mpionships

Hopefully there'll be more snooker streaming here tonight, and then in the elimination matches following. The whole thing is supposed to wrap up on Saturday.

Btw, in the Senior Snooker, Kristal McLeod (affectionately called "cookie") won. Other details are here:
http://www.cbsa.ca/

So check it out and support. We need it! :-)

Peace,
Valerie

Re: Canadian Championships 2011

Postby Wildey

the only chance for snooker to pick up in canada if some of these pool players start to play snooker and push up interest in the sport.

Postby Wildey

Thanx for this Valerie

Pretty good stream and Camera position aswell

Pagulayan had a 33 Break a bit like Alex Higgins quite a bit of Shoulder Action lol

Postby Wildey

hahaha he just taped the table alex Higgins like

Postby Roland

Really enjoying watching The Lion play snooker. He is quality.

Postby Wildey

Alex Pagulayan wins 6-0 ......

if snooker in canada is ever going to take off again it needs someone of his standing to take on the challenge.

Postby Sickpotter

I've always thought it'd be great for Alex to move into snooker full time. Better money and less of a hustling lifestyle than the 9-ball circuit at the very least. He's got boatloads of talent, ability under pressure and is a VERY attacking player. Another Trump type player but with a Selby safety game.

I've seen him walk in without playing a game of snooker in months and run back to back tons :bowdown: . He's just a pure cueist and would rank among the best no matter which cue sport he dedicates himself to. :ahh:

Speaking of excelling in multiple cue sports....he's in the final of the men's 10 ball this afternoon which I expect he'll win as well. :roll:

Postby Roland

We've been pushing him on Twitter, hopefully someone at World Snooker will take heed. He is already a big name in pool and he's young and prolifically talented and entertaining. He would go down very well in snooker.

Postby t.travis

Hi!
My name is Terence Travis I am trying to acquire Funding for the junior under 21s Snooker players representing England in Canada..

The Players are invited to play in the Regional Tour to progress to the Regional Junior Premiere Tour.
If reaching the top four after these advents they then can represent England in the Europeans and England in the World under 21s.
As you can see they are not chosen and get to represent England by there ability.
Did you know that four players have just representing England in the under 21s Snooker in Malta from 28th of March to 7th of April 2011.
They had to pay there own Air Fares, Transfers and Hotel Bill.
They lived on cereals bought from a local Supermarket because they could not afford eat in their Hotel.
The other seven countries were sponsored.
Nick Jennings
Mitchell Travis
Sam Harvey
Callum Downing
Three of the above players are to represent England in Canada in the World under 21s Snooker on the 12th July to the 23th July 2011.
They are expected to pay there own Air fares, Hotel Bills and any other expenses.
o Why is there no support for these players. And why does Joe Snooker out there Know nothing about it.
Please pass this on.
o The advent Venue in Canada is The Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel.
o I look forward to your reply.
o T.Travis

Postby Roland

Hi Terence - this is the first I've heard about this and I'm sure most other people are blisfully unaware of the plight of the youngsters representing their country in international events too. I've given your post a retweet on Twitter so hopefully it can lead to some sort of sponsorship.

Isn't this the sort of thing the National Lottery should be helping out with?

By the way, best not to have players mobile numbers on the forum <ok>

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:We've been pushing him on Twitter, hopefully someone at World Snooker will take heed. He is already a big name in pool and he's young and prolifically talented and entertaining. He would go down very well in snooker.

this Alex guy is 33 :D

Postby Sickpotter

Young looking then, the guy still gets carded any time he wants a drink ;-)

It's kinda funny.....Asians look young for far longer than the rest of us and seem to go from looking young to looking ancient...not much of a "middle aged" period :chin:

Postby roy142857

Valerie, do you know anything about the Canadian Open Snooker Championship? Saw brief mention of it on Canada Snooker when looking for IBSF U21 Championship information - says $25,000 in prizes, open to amateurs from anywhere in the world but doesn't give dates ...

Postby Sickpotter

Hi Roy,

That 25k in prizes mentioned is I think the prize pool for the entire Canadian cue sports events so men's and women's 8 and 9 ball and the snooker.

If that even adds up to the advertised prize pool I'm not sure. Keep in mind that this isn't strictly cash prizes, certainly whatever portion is given to the snooker is used to cover the flight and accomodations of the winner going to the World Amateurs, wherever it might be.

The event has finished for this year, it ended on the 19th of June.

Postby bayleyWAG

Sorry I'm late. The proposed Canadian Open is different from the Canadian Championships (which Sickpotter referred to). The 25K does seem to be just for the snooker. It seems like they're (Snooker Canada, not the CBSA who put on the Canadians) still getting a sense of interest, since the page is mainly asking people to give information so they can receive updates.
http://www.snookercanada.ca/tournaments ... dian-open/
Snooker Canada is just laying it out there, and we'll see what comes of it.