Topic locked

New Format For UK Championship----CONFIRMATION !!!!

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 47,00.html

The UK Championship in York will have a new format this year, with two tables at the venue and shorter matches up until the quarter-finals.

All matches in the qualifying rounds and up until the quarter-finals at the venue will be best of 11 frames, played in one session. As usual, the semi-finals will be best of 17 and the final best of 19.

This has allowed us to play the whole of the venue stage on two tables, rather than four, which means that every match has the potential to be televised. Last year some excellent matches had to be played on non-televised tables, so now we are able to avoid that situation.

Snooker's second biggest ranking event runs from December 3-11 and returns to the York Barbican, where it was staged from 2001 to 2006. John Higgins won the title last year by coming from 9-5 down to beat Mark Williams 10-9 in an incredible final.

NOW PICK THE BONES OUT OF THAT...

Re: New Format For UK Championship----CONFIRMATION !!!!

Postby Wildey

:rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip:

THE END OF THE UK CHAMPIONSHIP HAS BEEN ANOUNCED.

had great memories over the years but alas no more its been replaced by some second rate crap its a shame but apparently having some crappy rubbish is progress.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:We are governed by tv. What can we do. It's a shame to lose the only other longer distance tourney, but hands are tied.

No Barry Hearn is a Lying runt and hasent any bucking Balls to fight for the tournament.......

ill be bucking crushing his bucking balls when i get hold of the little buck.

Postby markj147

Wild wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:We are governed by tv. What can we do. It's a shame to lose the only other longer distance tourney, but hands are tied.

No Barry Hearn is a Lying baby kangaroo and hasent any little kittens playing with each other having fun Balls to fight for the tournament.......

ill be little kittens playing with each other having fun crushing his little kittens playing with each other having fun balls when i get hold of the little little kitten.

Wild, I know you are very upset and its a serious thread but the swear filter has turned your post into a thing a beauty...:)

Postby Wildey

markj147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

No Barry Hearn is a Lying baby kangaroo and hasent any little kittens playing with each other having fun Balls to fight for the tournament.......

ill be little kittens playing with each other having fun crushing his little kittens playing with each other having fun balls when i get hold of the little little kitten.

Wild, I know you are very upset and its a serious thread but the swear filter has turned your post into a thing a beauty...:)

hahahaha omfg

dont you just love sonny rofl

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Good decision, having such matches in cubicles was a farce. <ok>

yes but its not a good decision you plank....buck sakes how can less bastard bucking snooker to determine a result be good....holy buck you should get a job with the rest of the idiots at world snooker headquarters.

Postby PLtheRef

this really pisses me off, because we get told assurances - after all its we who put much of the money into the sport - I certainly think after confirming plans had been scrapped last year, - Certainly I personally think at the minimum it should be best of 13 frames a 6/7, but from it is half understandable from a players POV in qualifying for a venue, they dont want to be shoved into cubicles again.

It certainly will make things interesting though - as players are not able to rely on getting out of a session at 5-3.

The tournament has had a format like this before - but as a result, the sponsors pulled out for the following years tournament, hence why the 17 frame matches were brought in.

That said, if we are calling this the end, are we calling the Masters a minor tournament?

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

yes but its not a good decision you plank....little kitten sakes how can less chameleon little kittens playing with each other having fun snooker to determine a result be good....holy little kitten you should get a job with the rest of the idiots at world snooker headquarters.

You're making out like BO11 is actually BO3 or something ... it's the same as the Masters but with a longer SF, I don't see you ranting about that and yet some people still made out the Masters was more prestigious than the UK <laugh> This change brings the tournament back into the 21st century, i'm all for it <ok>

Postby Wildey

the only upside there's not enough frames for john higgins to win from behind like he made a habit of last year on the way to the final.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes but its not a good decision you plank....little kitten sakes how can less chameleon little kittens playing with each other having fun snooker to determine a result be good....holy little kitten you should get a job with the rest of the idiots at world snooker headquarters.

You're making out like BO11 is actually BO3 or something ... it's the same as the Masters but with a longer SF, I don't see you ranting about that and yet some people still made out the Masters was more prestigious than the UK <laugh> This change brings the tournament back into the 21st century, i'm all for it <ok>

bullocks it takes the UK Back to 1977 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_UK_Ch ... snooker%29

lets take the World championship back to 1977 hoooooo 49 frame final.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Every match has the potential to be televised? :chin: They still don't sound sure.

every match will be via Red button but if they playing 3 session of best of 11 there's not enough terrestrial time to show them.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:You're making out like BO11 is actually BO3 or something ... it's the same as the Masters but with a longer SF, I don't see you ranting about that and yet some people still made out the Masters was more prestigious than the UK <laugh> This change brings the tournament back into the 21st century, i'm all for it <ok>

I'm not keen on this change myself, I must say. I can see the reasons for doing it, but still not keen.

Yes, The Masters is best of 11 up to the final, but that's a non-ranking invitational tournament. It's a very prestigious one, but that prestige comes from the fact that it mainly only involves the top-16. It's prestige doesn't come from match-length.

The Worlds and The UKs are the two tournaments that have the most prestige purely because they are the longer-framed tournaments, that's the point. Nobody is saying; "Look this format is rubbish" or "This format shouldn't be used". I think the point is though, that this format is wrong for the UK. Well intentioned, perhaps. But completely wrong for the tournament.

I think it's a shame. :-(

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:I personally think it's more criminal how they treat the China Open but maybe that's just me.

How so?

Jeez i've gone over this so many times ... they treat it like just another ranking event, they place it in a horrible spot in the calendar before the Worlds when a lot of players aren't bothered, it's the national ranking event of the country which has more viewers than any other, the up and coming country in world sport. It should be moulded into the third major ahead of the Masters.

Postby Wildey

this is a format they could go with

Sunday-Final 1 Table

Saturday-Semi Final 2 Tables=2 Matches

Friday- Quarter Final 2 Table=4 Matches

Thursday-Last 16= 2 Table=4 Matches
Wednesday-Last 16= 2 Table=4 Matches

Tuesday-Last 32= 2 Table=4 Matches
Monday-Last 32= 2 Table=4 Matches
Sunday-Last 32= 2 Table=4 Matches
Saturday-Last 32= 2 Table=4 Matches

2 session every day

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:I personally think it's more criminal how they treat the China Open but maybe that's just me.

How so?

Jeez i've gone over this so many times ... they treat it like just another ranking event, they place it in a horrible spot in the calendar before the Worlds when a lot of players aren't bothered, it's the national ranking event of the country which has more viewers than any other, the up and coming country in world sport. It should be moulded into the third major ahead of the Masters.

with the crappy prize money on offer there it doesnt deserve elevated status :no:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

How so?

they cant even get the majors as majors how the buck can they turn another a 3rd major. <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

How so?

they cant even get the majors as majors how the buck can they turn another a 3rd major. <doh> <doh> <doh>

100k prize for winner = a major regardless of the format <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Jeez i've gone over this so many times ... they treat it like just another ranking event, they place it in a horrible spot in the calendar before the Worlds when a lot of players aren't bothered, it's the national ranking event of the country which has more viewers than any other, the up and coming country in world sport. It should be moulded into the third major ahead of the Masters.

Well can't disagree with trying to make it more of major then it is. Again, making the matches longer would help towards that. Getting it on a decent television channel would help, but when the BBC aren't even fussed about tournaments outside of the majors, let alon ones outside of the UK, it must be difficult to persuade channels that aren't involved in snooker at all to pick up a tournament that they'd show at 6am. Especially with a sport like snooker that isn't too popular. But, it should be up to World Snooker to market it, you're right. Something even now, I don't think they do enough of.

Trying to get The China more prestige brings us back to what's happening here with the UK. Match shortening makes the tournament feel less prestigious. You said yourself, it feels like just another ranker. The UK will too if they shorten it. What we should be doing, is trying to get the China Open more prestige, like you say. Not making the ones that are already prestigious less so.

The placement of the tournament a few weeks before The Crucible is unfortunate. I don't really see this as big a deal as you do, though. Remember the discussions we have when it comes to the PTCs et al? Though some thought there are now too many tournaments considering the international nature the sport is taking, a lot of us are in agreement that if the sport is going to expand then this sort of thing is going to happen. Players complained they are starved of tournaments, now they have a tournament full of tournaments, from all corners of the globe. If players can't be fussed to play in a tournament, that's a problem with the player. Not the tournament.

Postby markj147

Bourne wrote:Who cares about terrestrial, everyone has digital now (if you don't, fack off and live with the Amish clowns in America) <ok>

Phew just got into the digital age and sky+ HD on thursday. No travelling to America for me... :happy:

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

How so?

with the crappy prize money on offer there it doesnt deserve elevated status :no:

Well that's another thing they have to sort out then <ok>