Post a reply

Snooker Player's Autographs!

Postby SnookerFan

For the past couple of years, whenever I go to a snooker event, I take my autograph book and collect snooker players autographs. Does anybody else do this? If you go to snooker events regularly, it's something I'd recommend that you do.

For a while, it was an important part of my snooker trips, especially when I went to Sheffield. Waiting at the player's entrance, with assorted mental superfans (or people that was just mental) then all piling on top of a player when they came out waving autograph books at them was an important part of the weekend in Sheffield. rofl I call it my little black book, just because I find the innuendo humerous. But like a proper little black book, it's filled with memories.

The time I got Alex "Hurricane" Higgins autograph sticks out, as he was at an exhibition playing Jimmy White. I'd got Jimmy's autograph a couple of months earlier when he played Ali Carter at the Welsh Open. But, at this exhibition they were signing autographs at a table afterwards, and you had to get both men's autographs. So, Jimmy became the only player I had twice. A couple of months after I'd run up to him in Newport, thinking he may well not qualify for any more tournaments I was at for a while, so he was worth getting. Another one was when I was waiting around in Telford for autographs in Telford, and somebody going "That's Liang Wenbo". I saw the Chinese kid he was pointing at, and ran up asking for his autograph Liang Wenbo looked at me confused, and wrote his name in the book. As I came away I said to myself; "He looks different on the telly to real life." As it slowly began to dawn on me what I'd done.... Some of the friends of Ding/Liang had also come up to practice with them, so some guy had mistake some random Chinese guy with a cue as Liang, and I'd blindly ran up and got his autograph. In my book, by that signature it now says; "Liang Wenbo, I think." Also, there was the time I got live on BBC and Eurosport in a big, red Snooker Loopy T-Shirt asking for Ken Doherty's autograph at The Masters. rofl

Just flicking through the book now brings back a lot of memories of meeting snooker players. From the Mark Williams and John Higgins, down to the Barry Hawkins. I also have some old has-beens such as Dennis Taylor's autograph, and personalities such as Hazel Irvine. I aint got Ronnie O'Sullivan, Shaun Murphy, Judd Trump, Martin Gould or Dominc Dale's yet. Some glaring ommissions. But it leaves me with some people left to get. :bowdown:

Sorry, I realise this is a long pointless thread. But I wondered if anybody else collected autographs in this way, and had memories of doing so they could share.

Re: Snooker Player's Autographs!

Postby Wildey

i get autographs on programs,napkins,bear mats,handkerchiefs you name it ive got it....

never been one to carry a autograph book with me.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i get autographs on programs,napkins,bear mats,handkerchiefs you name it ive got it....

:bowdown: Who you got, Wild?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:i get autographs on programs,napkins,bear mats,handkerchiefs you name it ive got it....

:bowdown: Who you got, Wild?

Steve James,Warren King,John Parrott,Tony Knowles,Mark Williams,Mark Selby,Stephen Hendry,Marco Fu,Ronnie O'Sullivan,Jimmy White and missed Alex through him being in a temper lol

Postby Alex0paul

I usually get them in the programme of the tournament that I am at. I do get star struck easily though.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:I usually get them in the programme of the tournament that I am at. I do get star struck easily though.

did you get Roland Cox autograph :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I usually get them in the programme of the tournament that I am at. I do get star struck easily though.

did you get Roland Cox autograph :chin:

<laugh>

I wanted his, but I had to fight off a whole group of fans, so I missed out.

Postby Matt_2745

When I first went to the Worlds in 2005 I got loads, then carried that on for the next couple of years but then I started the blog and it changed things. You can't really start chatting to players and then turn around and ask for an autograph, it doesn't really work!

Got a couple of things I'd like to get done, in particular a photo I took of Ken Doherty at the Northern Snooker Centre a couple of years ago that I really like. Been meaning to get it printed and signed for the wall but have never got round to it.

But yeah in general I've gone onto photos these days.

Postby SnookerFan

Matt_2745 wrote:When I first went to the Worlds in 2005 I got loads, then carried that on for the next couple of years but then I started the blog and it changed things. You can't really start chatting to players and then turn around and ask for an autograph, it doesn't really work!

Got a couple of things I'd like to get done, in particular a photo I took of Ken Doherty at the Northern Snooker Centre a couple of years ago that I really like. Been meaning to get it printed and signed for the wall but have never got round to it.

You have to pick your times, certainly. When I was at the TIC, there were a few players staying at the same hotel as me, and you didn't like to ask for their autographs on their own time. I was stood next to Shaun Murphy in the bar area, and thought about asking, but decided it was rude.

Postby Matt_2745

Yeah that's definitely true. To be fair I have no problem with snooker fans who get autographs, like I say I've been there and done it.

But when you get people running after people in the street and following them into restaurants so they can hassle them, or rocking up at a venue with 20 programmes going back years and years for a player to sign then I become more cynical. It does happen as well.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Matt_2745 wrote:When I first went to the Worlds in 2005 I got loads, then carried that on for the next couple of years but then I started the blog and it changed things. You can't really start chatting to players and then turn around and ask for an autograph, it doesn't really work!

You have to pick your times, certainly. When I was at the TIC, there were a few players staying at the same hotel as me, and you didn't like to ask for their autographs on their own time. I was stood next to Shaun Murphy in the bar area, and thought about asking, but decided it was rude.

God yes i could have had much more Autographs in my time if i had been Rude and muscled in on their conversation with friends or Family.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:God yes i could have had much more Autographs in my time if i had been Rude and muscled in on their conversation with friends or Family.

When they are in or around the venue, they are essentially on work time. And it's the fans paying their wages, so it's fine asking for an autograph. At the hotel, it's their personal life. It'd be like my boss turning up and giving me tasks when I'm on holiday.