Post a reply

Isnt this a little exciting or not?

Postby randam05

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Octobe ... 47,00.html

October Ranking event 10th June 2011 A ranking event is planned from October 24 to 30.
Further details will be announced when available.

I dont know if im missing something, and it is infact the world open? But to me it says theres a tournament for that slot, that has not yet been confirmed. In my eyes this is quite exciting! Will we see short format? long format? overseas venue? tables hanging from the ceiling?

Theres also a slot in April!

Re: Isnt this a little exciting or not?

Postby Bourne

randam05 wrote:http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/OctoberRankingEventArticle/0,,13165~2374347,00.html

October Ranking event 10th June 2011 A ranking event is planned from October 24 to 30.
Further details will be announced when available.

I dont know if im missing something, and it is infact the world open? But to me it says theres a tournament for that slot, that has not yet been confirmed. In my eyes this is quite exciting! Will we see short format? long format? overseas venue? tables hanging from the ceiling?

Theres also a slot in April!

You mean down under ? That's the Aussie Open in July :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

that event in October was on the calender as the World Open then it wasn't....i think they keeping their options open it might be called something else but the same World Open format.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:that event in October was on the calender as the World Open then it wasn't....i think they keeping their options open it might be called something else but the same World Open format.

Surely, they wouldn't dither if the name of the tournament was the only issue? I don't see the point in them removing the name of the tournament from the calendar solely because they are thinking of calling it something else.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:that event in October was on the calender as the World Open then it wasn't....i think they keeping their options open it might be called something else but the same World Open format.

Surely, they wouldn't dither if the name of the tournament was the only issue? I don't see the point in them removing the name of the tournament from the calendar solely because they are thinking of calling it something else.

why removing the name then ?

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:why removing the name then ?

I would assume it was more likely they hadn't 100% decided on the format. It's possible that they would keep the tournament identical to what it was called last year, but just change the name. But what's the point? Especially if the trophy is the exactly the same. I doubt they've decided to go; "We don't like the name the World Open, let's call it something else and remove the name from the list so nobody thinks it's still called that."

I'd say it was more likely that because they haven't decided on a venue yet, they aren't sure whether it'll be exactly the same format as last year. The layout of the venue may make a difference to the amount of matches that can be run at once, for example.

But I'm guessing. Maybe they've got a couple of potential sponsors who want to rename the tournament, like LG did.