Post a reply

Judd Trump: the difficult second album?

Postby Tubberlad

And so the new season is almost upon us.

At this moment in time, one player is bagging the headlines for all the right reasons (well, it's almost all good).

Judd Trump went about his business very quietly for most of last season. He managed to gain valuable experience by treating the PTCs with respect, and even managed to win one of them.

And them came the China Open. Trump was superb, from start to finish. He showed us just how much firepower he possesses from an attacking standpoint, but for me it was his surprising aptitude in the safety department, matching and even bettering experienced professionals, that impressed most. Mark Selby, one of the best players in the world, did nothing wrong throughout the final, but he was beaten by a freak.

We all know what happened in Sheffield. In my opinion, he was the best of the 32 players, but was ultimately taken down by a supreme all round matchplayer.

Trump is still an unsmoothened diamond, but the potential has been exposed for all to see. Big statement this but I have no problem with it: he's the most naturally gifted player since O'Sullivan. In my time of watching snooker, he is second only to Sullivan in this department.

And now comes the difficult second album, the follow up to the mindblowing debut record.

This will be Trump's first season entering as one of the contenders for every title. But then again, he has had to deal with glorious hype all through his career, answering pretty abruptly last year.

We don't have enough experience of Trump to know whether he will become a super-consistent winning machine in the vein of a Hendry or Higgins, or whether he will become a more every now and then character like Sullivan, where he can hit form randomly and blow all before him away.

I strongly believe he is good enough to become the very best, and I actually wouldn't be surprised if he became the best player in the world within the next year. But I know one thing for definite: Trump is great for the game, and it will be fantastic to watch him for years to come.

Re: Judd Trump: the difficult second album?

Postby SnookerFan

I think Judd has overcome the obstacle of winning his first trophy, and that's done him the world of good.

A few years ago, I watched Mark Allen vs Judd Trump at The Masters, in the Wildcard round. It was a couple of months after Judd knocked Ronnie out of The Grand Prix, and people were expecting big stuff from Judd, whereas Mark Allen had quietly strolled up to 15th in the world, without anybody taking much notice of him. Both men were making their Masters debut, and Mark Allen triumphed 6-4. I think Judd struggled a bit with expectation. Between then and The China Open, Mark looked the more likely to win a ranker, then Judd.

However Mark Allen, though an accomplished player seems to have a mental block about winning semi-finals. All the while he was almost making finals, Judd relocated and started playing against better players. And it helped. Even before China, a lot of us, myself included, were thinking if Judd won a tournament, it wouldn't be this season. Yet he managed to do it, and that confidence made him play extraordinary. It's the biggest improvement in a shortest time I've seen in a sport. He went from a kid with potential, who'd never really achieved to somebody I'd rate as just behind Higgins and Williams as one of the best players in the world. In a month or so.

And most dangerous of all Judd is enjoying playing, and loves the buzz of the crowd. They don't fase him, and he's not scared to play. A player with no nerves is dangerous. If he can keep that up, and not get too bogged down with getting applause from the crowd, I think he'll easily win more rankers.

Postby N_Castle07

I said to my best mate before the world championship that four things would happen at the championship.
1) Ronnie O’Sullivan would retire.
2) Hendry would retire.
3) Higgins or Murphy would win the World Championship
4) Trump would become the new Ronnie.

I predicted Two out of four I suppose.

Postby Wildey

He followed up china with a sensational run to the World final and almost did it.....i thought his all round game was better in china but the longer frame matches gave him more freedom to go for his shots and boy did he pull off some shots.

yes maintaining good form is harder and along the way he will have poor matches and performances everyone has them its how you come back from those in the next event is the key.

Ding Junhui,Stephen Maguire,Neil Robertson have all struggled after initial major success and come back eventually.. it will be a potentially very tough season for Judd being the hunted from the off with no qualifying to get through it will be interesting and exciting to see how he gets on in his first full season as a Top player.

Postby SnookerFan

One thing that will bode for him though, is his style is so unorthodox. He goes for shots other people don't see. And, because he smashes the balls so hard, even when he misses, he's regularly still on for a fluke. That's not a diss, it's a compliment. I've not seen a player whose style opens himself up so much, that when he misses his intended pocket, there's that much of a chance it'll go into a different pocket. Or at least a higher percentage then that of other players. When he's firing on all cylinders it's quite a beautiful thing to watch, and he'll be hard to play against.

When his style fails, it can make him look a bit of a mug, mind. But I think he's grown in confidence now with his success, I'm sure it can continue enough to let him win at least a few more rankers. And possibly be one of the ATG. (But let's not get ahead of ourselves and put too much pressure on him.)

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:One thing that will bode for him though, is his style is so unorthodox. He goes for shots other people don't see. And, because he smashes the balls so hard, even when he misses, he's regularly still on for a fluke.

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:One thing that will bode for him though, is his style is so unorthodox. He goes for shots other people don't see. And, because he smashes the balls so hard, even when he misses, he's regularly still on for a fluke.

rofl

It's kind of true, though. I know it sounds like a really backhanded compliment, but that's how it's intended. How many times in Sheffield did you see Judd Trump miss his intended pot by half an inch, only to get it in a pocket on the other side of the table?

Obviously, the nature of a fluke is that it's unintended, but I'd say Trump proves that the run of the ball can come if you are playing well, or have a certain style. The point is, he doesn't need them much, but he seemed to get them a lot when he needed them, and I think that's because of the way he plays.

Postby Bourne

I first started supporting Judd because I loved the way he played the game, not because he wins matches. If he keeps playing his swashbuckling, cavalier, no-fear brand of snooker which entertains the fans and keeps bringing them in tournament after tournament, then it'll be a great season, no matter what he wins or loses. Can't wait for the new season to begin <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I first started supporting Judd because I loved the way he played the game, not because he wins matches. If he keeps playing his swashbuckling, cavalier, no-fear brand of snooker which entertains the fans and keeps bringing them in tournament after tournament, then it'll be a great season, no matter what he wins or loses. Can't wait for the new season to begin <ok>

in theary he could lose every match playing like that and nobody will get to see much of him play....so how would it be a great season :?

id rather see him win matches playing finals and entertain but selectively entertain..

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:I first started supporting Judd because I loved the way he played the game, not because he wins matches. If he keeps playing his swashbuckling, cavalier, no-fear brand of snooker which entertains the fans and keeps bringing them in tournament after tournament, then it'll be a great season, no matter what he wins or loses. Can't wait for the new season to begin <ok>

in theary he could lose every match playing like that and nobody will get to see much of him play....so how would it be a great season :?

id rather see him win matches playing finals and entertain but selectively entertain..

Wild, i'd rather you went back to the doom-mongering hatin' that you potrayed throughout the last season, it clearly did the trick for him in the last couple of months <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Wild, i'd rather you went back to the doom-mongering hatin' that you potrayed throughout the last season, it clearly did the trick for him in the last couple of months <ok>

rofl

im glad you pinpointed the inspiration for his success .....ill settle for 2.5% of his winnings next season :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Fair play. I think his cavalier attitude cost him a lot of wins, but I think he's stuck to that style of play and started getting results more frequently, and attracted a lot more fans. I must confess, I am a little irked by the people who are now jumping on the bandwagon since he started winning. Suddenly, just because he's had success, a lot of people who didn't care about him are loving him. That gets on my nerves.

At least you are somebody who liked him before it was cool.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

Fair play. I think his cavalier attitude cost him a lot of wins, but I think he's stuck to that style of play and started getting results more frequently, and attracted a lot more fans. I must confess, I am a little irked by the people who are now jumping on the bandwagon since he started winning. Suddenly, just because he's had success, a lot of people who didn't care about him are loving him. That gets on my nerves.

At least you are somebody who liked him before it was cool.

he was not cavalier in his china open win though....he played inteligent snooker to win that event beating hard matchplayers in the process.

he was more cavelier in the WC though but not overly he just hits that ball so so hard it cost him the match in the end...he might be perfecting the art of fluking <laugh> but hes not mastered it yet.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:he was not cavalier in his china open win though....he played inteligent snooker to win that event beating hard matchplayers in the process.

he was more cavelier in the WC though but not overly he just hits that ball so so hard it cost him the match in the end...he might be perfecting the art of fluking <laugh> but hes not mastered it yet.

I didn't say he perfected the art of fluking, because that would suggest a fluke wasn't a fluke, it was a shot that could be planned. What I am saying is, the way he plays it leaves him open to them more then some who might play in a more delicate fashion.

Postby Sickpotter

Judd sees more flukes soley because of the pace he hits his shots. Some suggest he has more luck but that's just rubbish. Let's face it, given enough force and enough rails all shots will eventually find a pocket.

Hitting balls hard allows Judd to keep his cue action on line but it has cost him frames and will continue to do so. The more seasoned pros rarely hit the ball hard, I hope Judd refines this aspect of his game or he'll wind up with a record that doesn't do his talent justice.

Not to throw him a jinx but he only needs to reach another 5 WC finals to tie Jimmy as the greatest to never win the WC :john:

Postby Bourne

If he can find the right balance between playing smart, level-headed snooker in the live stage of frames but playing that thrilling 'exho' snooker when a frame is over then that'll be the paradise situation. His century count might suffer but who the fack cares, i'd rather see an 80 break with power shots, insane sidespin etc than a dull, robotic 110 break with perfect positional play that we seem to see too much of these days <ok>

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:Judd sees more flukes soley because of the pace he hits his shots. Some suggest he has more luck but that's just rubbish. Let's face it, given enough force and enough rails all shots will eventually find a pocket.

Hitting balls hard allows Judd to keep his cue action on line but it has cost him frames and will continue to do so. The more seasoned pros rarely hit the ball hard, I hope Judd refines this aspect of his game or he'll wind up with a record that doesn't do his talent justice.

Not to throw him a jinx but he only needs to reach another 5 WC finals to tie Jimmy as the greatest to never win the WC :john:

a Final between Williams and Trump would have shown complete opposite in how to pot balls Williams rolling balls in Pocket weight and Trump trying to knock out someones teeth.

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:Judd sees more flukes soley because of the pace he hits his shots. Some suggest he has more luck but that's just rubbish. Let's face it, given enough force and enough rails all shots will eventually find a pocket.

The list sentence aside, which is silly, the rest of what you wrote was the point I was trying to make. His style is more conducive to flukes. Not that I consider him some flukester, I don't.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:If he can find the right balance between playing smart, level-headed snooker in the live stage of frames but playing that thrilling 'exho' snooker when a frame is over then that'll be the paradise situation. His century count might suffer but who the fack cares, i'd rather see an 80 break with power shots, insane sidespin etc than a dull, robotic 110 break with perfect positional play that we seem to see too much of these days <ok>

yes he should not change his game at all hes had pretty good success rate at knocking in balls 100 miles an hour i just thought under pressure on pressure shots he was hitting them even harder as sickpotter said it helps keep his cue action ram rod straight but if they just millimeter out they just will not go in at that speed.

Postby Sickpotter

The similarities between Judd and Jimmy's games are very very evident. For the life of me I can't think of another player so similar to Jimmy in style and shot selection. Will it cost Judd the same as it's cost Jimmy? Perhaps not as Judd doesn't seem to have the social habits Jimmy does but the style of play is there which could lead to a similar career. Jimmy's style of play isn't the sole reason he underachieved but it's certainly part of it.

Judd has been pretty successful with his 100mph shots so far but making a slight adjustment should yield better results as you're less likely to be opening the table from a missed pot hit at 50mph than a missed pot at 100mph. He won't be able to keep his long pot percentage high for his whole career and playing those shots at 100mph are going to yield more and more opportunities for his opponents as his career goes by. IMO he should try to nip this habit in the bud now but that's just my take.

My hope is that his hitting the balls hard is more of a choice than a requirement to keep his stroke in line. If it's a requirement it's indicative of a weakness in his cue action or temperment which TBH I don't think is the case. I suspect that to date it's been used to keep his nerves in check and that should lessen as he gains confidence.

It'll be interesting to see how he develops over the next year or two now that he's got some big results under his belt. Definitely an exciting player and a joy to watch, can't wait to see what he does this year. <ok>