Post a reply

Midterm relegation?

Postby PLtheRef

Was talking to someone about snooker on fb, and they suggested that Midterm relegation should be brought in, twice during the season, Cut-off two and season's end. When I asked how they thought it could work was that they'd relegate 12 in December, and May - offering a Qualifying School, each with Six Places on offer (1 in Jan the other in May) in addition to inviting the top six non general qualified players from the PTC OOM.

I certainly think it's interesting, and that it would stop national 'nominations' to the tour - as in players could only access by success in WS Sanctioned events. The problem I could see though is without the financial backing, the tour could move out of reach of some. Inevitably, Q-School would become £500 a throw, adding to the quieter January (for the non tour members)

Certainly would keep members on their toes.

Re: Midterm relegation?

Postby Wildey

in principle i like it but biggest problem as i can see now just looking at the calender is fitting in these Q School mid term some tournaments will have to go just to make room for them.

Postby Witz78

if there was a fair ranking system in place then yes id favour this but this coming season the tour newcomers are going to be harshly punished making survival / getting into top 64 difficult.

Its a farce that those new to the tour this coming season will recieve starting points based on Figeuridos total points from last season, bearing in mind that he only survived on tour thanks to being the 8th man on the PTC OoM, but with him actually being 80th at the end of last season, these tour newcomers receive far fewer points than they ought to, meaning they are well isolated from tour survival and face an uphill battle.

The fair option would have been to have the newcomers starting with the points that the 64th placed man last season earned, or even fairer why not just double the points these guys earn this coming season?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:if there was a fair ranking system in place then yes id favour this but this coming season the tour newcomers are going to be harshly punished making survival / getting into top 64 difficult.

Its a farce that those new to the tour this coming season will recieve starting points based on Figeuridos total points from last season, bearing in mind that he only survived on tour thanks to being the 8th man on the PTC OoM, but with him actually being 80th at the end of last season, these tour newcomers receive far fewer points than they ought to, meaning they are well isolated from tour survival and face an uphill battle.

The fair option would have been to have the newcomers starting with the points that the 64th placed man last season earned, or even fairer why not just double the points these guys earn this coming season?

yes another good point not enough tournaments in a window to allow firstly a start of season pro to progress and secondly a mid season pro to get enough to survive the cut.

there needs to be other things in place before this can really be workable.

Postby GJ

rubbish idea a player should get a full season

Postby PLtheRef

I see Witz' view. A solution could be to use the BDO ranking format - use the same points that we do now, but at the start of the season the 96 members of the tour each start on zero.

Postby Wildey

of course there is a simpler way of relegating the bottom 12 in december and put on the top 12 non tour pros from the PTC Rankings.

Postby Witz78

PLtheRef wrote:I see Witz' view. A solution could be to use the BDO ranking format - use the same points that we do now, but at the start of the season the 96 members of the tour each start on zero.

how does that work exactly?

that would effectively be one year rankings then and not 2 year?

Postby GJ

yes what a great idea a player gets in through q school and struggles in first few months and is turfed off half way through the season

great idea to help young players

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:yes what a great idea a player gets in through q school and struggles in first few months and is turfed off half way through the season

great idea to help young players

Whatever people think about GJ as a bit of a wind up merchant <laugh> he does have a very valid point here.

Postby Roland

I think if you make it on tour, you should be given a full season. If they did it any other way it wouldn't be fair. What I like about the current system is that you've got PTC events giving a chance to those who could be frozen out otherwise on a secondary tour. I think the future is more professional tour spots, and by whatever number the number of places on tour goes up by, those places should be taken up by results in the PTC.

For this to happen and be properly fair, PTC events should be more worldwide but for the time being, Europe is a good market.

Postby Matt_2745

I don't know if it's 100% definite that they will receive Igor's points yet, I think they will, but we'll have to see to be sure.

Postby Roland

Such a shame about Igor. I only saw in the World Open and was thinking how I wanted to see him again in a longer format match, see how he would do.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Such a shame about Igor. I only saw in the World Open and was thinking how I wanted to see him again in a longer format match, see how he would do.

a shame?

what, has he definetly jacked it in then?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think if you make it on tour, you should be given a full season. If they did it any other way it wouldn't be fair. What I like about the current system is that you've got PTC events giving a chance to those who could be frozen out otherwise on a secondary tour. I think the future is more professional tour spots, and by whatever number the number of places on tour goes up by, those places should be taken up by results in the PTC.

For this to happen and be properly fair, PTC events should be more worldwide but for the time being, Europe is a good market.

you know what id love to see amateur players gets chance in ranking events.

now that there's 100 tour players that means there's a automatic extra round why not give 4 amateurs a chance each tournament based on their PTC Performances.

Postby Roland

Let's see how it plays out. The amateurs do have a shot at the World Open wherever that's going to fit in the schedule, and also the World Championship.

Postby Wildey

who told you about igor ?

Postby Roland

You mean it's not confirmed? :redneck:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Let's see how it plays out. The amateurs do have a shot at the World Open wherever that's going to fit in the schedule, and also the World Championship.

surely they will open up the World Championship properly this season, similar to the way the World Open qualifying events around the clubs were?

The current set up with David Taylor, Les Dodd and all these other has beens having a shot at the WC whilst far superior kids arent parent of the shut shop is a joke.

Postby Roland

Yup, it was a bit. Assuming the others didn't get a chance, I don't know enough about how it operated.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Let's see how it plays out. The amateurs do have a shot at the World Open wherever that's going to fit in the schedule, and also the World Championship.

surely they will open up the World Championship properly this season, similar to the way the World Open qualifying events around the clubs were?

The current set up with David Taylor, Les Dodd and all these other has beens having a shot at the WC whilst far superior kids arent parent of the shut shop is a joke.

who ever made up that pathetic rule needed shooting....

because Mike Hallett decided to play PIOS after falling off tour he could not enter but players not playing rubbish could <doh>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Never understood that rule. What was the point? Did they think they were going to somehow qualify?