Post a reply

Mark Williams in 2011/2012

Postby SnookerFan

How do you see Mark Williams season going next year?

It was good to see Mark Williams win the China Open a couple of seasons back, and we heard that Mark Williams was 'back to his best'. But this season the only ranking event he translated that to was the German Masters.

Can Mark Williams win a ranker next year? Especially one that requires playing well for more then four or five days? I'd love to see him to do it, but I'd have to put John Higgins and Judd Trump as favourites for winning tournaments next year. How does everybody else see it panning out for Williams?

Re: Mark Williams in 2011/2012

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:How do you see Mark Williams season going next year?

It was good to see Mark Williams win the China Open a couple of seasons back, and we heard that Mark Williams was 'back to his best'. But this season the only ranking event he translated that to was the German Masters.

Can Mark Williams win a ranker next year? Especially one that requires playing well for more then four or five days? I'd love to see him to do it, but I'd have to put John Higgins and Judd Trump as favourites for winning tournaments next year. How does everybody else see it panning out for Williams?

Mark Williams that won in China was nowhere Near the Mark Williams last season the only thing that Stopped Mark was John Higgins thats how Good he was from getting 2 Rankers and a World Final..i think he will continue to build on that and Win More Tournaments.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How do you see Mark Williams season going next year?

Mark Williams that won in China was nowhere Near the Mark Williams last season the only thing that Stopped Mark was John Higgins thats how Good he was from getting 2 Rankers and a World Final..i think he will continue to build on that and Win More Tournaments.

A tournament winner is a tournament winner, it doesn't matter how good your looking that season, if you win a tournament you've achieved.

You're right though, I think he would've won more if it hadn't have been for Higgins. Poor old Williams, he was a Gnat's sausage from being UK Champion.

Postby Tubberlad

You can never write off a player as good as Mark Williams. Whether he can still win majors after the traumas against Higgins last season remains to be seen, but he remains one of the finest players I've seen.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:You can never write off a player as good as Mark Williams. Whether he can still win majors after the traumas against Higgins last season remains to be seen, but he remains one of the finest players I've seen.

When you've won the Masters twice, UK Championship twice, and the World Championship twice, you can't really complain about your haul. But I'd like see his hard work and practice rewarded. Be nice to see him win a couple of week-long tournaments as well. If he wins a couple more of the Shanghai Masters, Welsh Open or Australian type tournaments, it'd be good to see, even if he doesn't win a major.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:You can never write off a player as good as Mark Williams. Whether he can still win majors after the traumas against Higgins last season remains to be seen, but he remains one of the finest players I've seen.

When you've won the Masters twice, UK Championship twice, and the World Championship twice, you can't really complain about your haul. But I'd like see his hard work and practice rewarded. Be nice to see him win a couple of week-long tournaments as well. If he wins a couple more of the Shanghai Masters, Welsh Open or Australian type tournaments, it'd be good to see, even if he doesn't win a major.

Mark Williams between 2004 and 2009 was a poor example of a top player so how good his haul could have been is frightening in those 6 years.

Postby Tubberlad

For those with short term memories: Mark Williams in late 2002 and 2003 was nothing short of awesome

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:For those with short term memories: Mark Williams in late 2002 and 2003 was nothing short of awesome

yes he seemed to play in every final that 2 years.....of course he didn't.

Postby randam05

He remains to be my current favourite player. (real favourite asides from dale, swail and hamilton) He is truely brilliant and gives me goosebumps the way he plays. Hes a role model of mine and a childhood hero if Im honest.

I dearly want to see him win a World championship. He deserves a third in my eyes.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:He remains to be my current favourite player. (real favourite asides from dale, swail and hamilton) He is truely brilliant and gives me goosebumps the way he plays. Hes a role model of mine and a childhood hero if Im honest.

I dearly want to see him win a World championship. He deserves a third in my eyes.

Let's hope he misses John Higgins in the draw. rofl

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
randam05 wrote:He remains to be my current favourite player. (real favourite asides from dale, swail and hamilton) He is truely brilliant and gives me goosebumps the way he plays. Hes a role model of mine and a childhood hero if Im honest.

lets face it he wasent the only player that folded badly against John last season.

John did not win puerly on his form because i did not think he played anywhere near as well as his 2009 win players folded badly....they have to step it up at crucial times and they didnt John did.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

lets face it he wasent the only player that folded badly against John last season.

John did not win puerly on his form because i did not think he played anywhere near as well as his 2009 win players folded badly....they have to step it up at crucial times and they didnt John did.

I don't think that's true of everyone. Judd didn't in the final. It took John the first day of the final to figure out Judd's style, and Higgins would've lost if it was a best of 19.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I don't think that's true of everyone. Judd didn't in the final. It took John the first day of the final to figure out Judd's style, and Higgins would've lost if it was a best of 19.

Judd folded to an extent though partially it was down to his one dimensional attacking style of play catching up on him as the law of averages was that his potting success would decline opening things up for Higgins counter attacks.

Postby Wildey

there was 2 frames at night judd lost due to hitting the cover off the balls at 100 miles a hour if he had taken thoes playing slightly more gently he would be World Champion in my opinion.

dont know if that was folding or not but he definitly let john off.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Go on then. Who will win more ranking events next year? (PTCs excluded.) Mark Williams or Judd Trump?

hard to say what will happen theres quite a few that might win one and mark and judd might get nothing.

Postby Casey

I think full ranking event winners next season will be -

Williams
Higgins
Selby
Ding
Carter
Trump

Major winners -

Higgins
Selby

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I think full ranking event winners next season will be -

Williams
Higgins
Selby
Ding
Carter
Trump

Major winners -

Higgins
Selby

its a pretty safe bet minimum of one of them will win something but there's Robbo,Ronnie,Murphy even Maguire if they hit their stride could easily pick up something.

Postby Tubberlad

It's impossible to way exactly who's going to win what ranker. The season hasn't even started yet. I think Trump will have a big, big season though...

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Why excluding PTC if all the players are there?

No real reason, I was just more interested in who would win full ranking events, not minor ones. I am just old-fashioned in my thinking. <laugh> But, they did seem to be competitions with which people picked and chose last year, that was part of the reason also.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:I think full ranking event winners next season will be -

Williams
Higgins
Selby
Ding
Carter
Trump

Major winners -

Higgins
Selby

Selby to win a major, hey? I take it you mean The Masters?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

No real reason, I was just more interested in who would win full ranking events, not minor ones. I am just old-fashioned in my thinking. <laugh> But, they did seem to be competitions with which people picked and chose last year, that was part of the reason also.

trying to predict PTC Champions is a minefield
Barry Pinches
Marcus Campbell
Michael Holt
next season there will be a few surprises like them along the way.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Barry Pinches
Marcus Campbell
Michael Holt

The PTCs in essence are to keep the players doing something and earning money between ranking events, no more then that really. It's good that at least one of them will be televised next season though, helps people take them more seriously as events. It's ridiculous when a ranking event, however minor, is played in front of no fans and isn't televised. <doh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Barry Pinches
Marcus Campbell
Michael Holt

i think there will be fewer surprises in the PTC

the big guns are more likely to enter more this season and take them more seriously. Whilst the top top players might not win many, id expect the bulk of then PTC winners to come from the 10-25 bracket of the rankings, those floating around the top 16 trapdoor who need the points badly

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn has said if someone comes forward with a offer he will play a PTC Anywhere it doesn't have to be sheffield.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Barry Pinches
Marcus Campbell
Michael Holt

i think there will be fewer surprises in the PTC

the big guns are more likely to enter more this season and take them more seriously. Whilst the top top players might not win many, id expect the bulk of then PTC winners to come from the 10-25 bracket of the rankings, those floating around the top 16 trapdoor who need the points badly

yes i do think the same but there will be someone out of nowhere that has a big run.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Barry Hearn has said if someone comes forward with a offer he will play a PTC Anywhere it doesn't have to be sheffield.

does that mean the SWSA are funding the 2 PTCs being player there then? :john:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Barry Hearn has said if someone comes forward with a offer he will play a PTC Anywhere it doesn't have to be sheffield.

dont know lol

but i do know over the coming years the PTC will be evolving in to bigger events one way or another.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

dont know lol

but i do know over the coming years the PTC will be evolving in to bigger events one way or another.

the way i see it the PTC will slowly die like the chrysalis of a caterpillar with butterflies (full rankers) emerging from the cacoon !!