Post a reply

Another reason to love Dominic!

Postby randam05

Goodnight Vienna

Dominic Dale is moving back to the UK after four years in Vienna in order to cope with his busy snooker schedule.

The former Grand Prix and Roewe Shanghai Masters champion will leave the Austrian capital this weekend and live close to his practice base, the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester.

Welshman Dale, age 39, had a fine season in 2009/10, winning a PTC event and climbing to No 31 in the world rankings, and hopes to continue that momentum in 2010/11.

"When I had a good look at the tournament calendar last month, I worked out that travelling to and fro from Vienna for the whole season was going to cost me around £15,000," said Dale. "Last season I was paying for flights and then staying in hotels in Gloucester where I practise and hotels in Sheffield for the PTC events and qualifiers.

"To be based anywhere other than the UK is prohibitively expensive because there are so many tournaments now. As the Americans say, it was a 'no-brainer' for me to move back to the UK.

"I will be sad to leave Vienna because I have a lot of friends there. I want to say thanks to the Koo 15 Reds snooker club for the support and friendship I had there. I love the culture in Vienna, the beautiful buildings, the opera house and the cosmopolitan nature of the city. I will miss it but I can still go back on holiday. I'm not a sentimental person so I'm not worried about the move.

"I had a good mindset last season and practising on my own in Vienna wasn't a problem, especially as I would come to the UK a few days before each event and play against other professionals. But I did get a bit jaded here and there from the travelling.

"I have to take an objective view of things because I am a professional sportsman and I want to do well. As a self-employed sportsman you have to consider yourself a business, and from a financial perspective it doesn't make sense any more to live outside the UK.

"The Academy in Gloucester is a great place to practise. The tables there are Championship standard and it's not often in my career that I've had the chance to play on tables like that every day. I still feel that I have another decade as a snooker player and this will help me get the best out of myself. It's up to me to make the best of this opportunity."

Dale is looking forward to the new season with enthusiasm and is particularly keen to qualify for the Australian Goldfields Open in July, which will be the first ranking event ever staged in Australia.

"It's important for snooker to be in Australia, particularly with Neil Robertson as their lynchpin at the moment," said Dale. "We have to look at the future of the game and realise that if it grows there then there could be more events with more prize money.

"If I qualify I won't mind flying economy, I've done it a few times before. You can get a flight for around £1,200 so the players who qualify will still make money, have a great time and get some ranking points. Some of the players sometimes expect too much or get a bit greedy and don't realise the importance of going to play in events like this."

As for his overall targets for the season, Dale added: "I just want to continue to improve. I believe that I'm good enough to beat anyone. I'm fit and dedicated and I feel like a 25-year-old. In terms of the rankings, obviously I want to stay in the top 32 and maybe have a go at the top 16, although the top 20 is more realistic."

What a great guy. Such a great mindset and extremely positive thinking, which I love to hear. Its clear how much his snooker means to him. If he gets in the top 16 or wins a ranker...urmm... i dont know,..i will...gosh Ill have to think about it.

Is it me or is next season like going to be the most exciting ever? Theres so much to look forward too. So many players I want to see how they will do..such as cope, swail, ronnie, white, dale, williams, maguire because I have a feeling hes falling off the radar. So many new tournaments to see. I now understand the PTCs fully so can follow with joy. Ahhh :love:

I cant wait!

Re: Another reason to love Dominic!

Postby GJ

is his bird moving as well

Postby Roland

GJ... sigh...

Dominic turned up at the SWSA last night and was a feature of the media room then and today. He was getting some bizarre stuff up on youtube from Russian billiards where the balls are 65mm and the pockets 68mm, to people taking a teaspoon of chilli sauce he had a taste of himself and which he said nearly killed him!

Anyway he's glad to be back to base and is really looking forward to living close to the SWSA and says now he's back he doesn't want to live in foreign country again for some time if ever.

Postby Steve K

Sonny wrote:By the way, where is that taken from randam? Can you link it please :santa:

World Snooker!

Nah, Dominic is great though. My personal highlight was him and me attempting to chase a spider out that wandered into the foyer yesterday :D

Postby SnookerFan

Dominic is a signature I still need in my autographs collection. I've got a hell of a lot of players, but Dale is one that has alluded me. I saw his match vs Liang Wenbo in Wales 2009, but so many of the Chinese dived on Liang after the game, Dominic had gone by the time I'd fought them off. <laugh>

He's a good bloke though. Me and randam agree on that. Love to see him qualify for the Australian tournament. :bowdown:

Postby Monique

Steve K wrote:
Sonny wrote:By the way, where is that taken from randam? Can you link it please :santa:

World Snooker!

Nah, Dominic is great though. My personal highlight was him and me attempting to chase a spider out that wandered into the foyer yesterday :D

And then pretending to bring the beast back in (in his clasped hands) and chasing the lovely (Ukrainian referee) Tanya all around the place with it!

BTW for those interested in gossip, Dom's affair with the girl who brought him to Vienna is over for a long time already. He stayed in Vienna because he loves the place.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
And then pretending to bring the beast back in (in his clasped hands) and chasing the lovely (Ukrainian referee) Tanya all around the place with it!

BTW for those interested in gossip, Dom's affair with the girl who brought him to Vienna is over for a long time already. He stayed in Vienna because he loves the place.

Gripping news, I think we'll all agree. rofl

Postby randam05

Haha what a great response from everyone on Dominic! From what I see hes the spirit of the SWSA! Hes a great laugh and I really appreciate people like him. He was even going to come up to the academy especially to see me last time I went for training because he had heard what a fan of him I was and how I would love to meet him again properly. What other player would do that!? But unfortunately he wasnt going to come until too late :(

But now he lives here, hopefully I will see him around more often on my visits.

And the link Sonny. Your text to link here...

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2370673,00.html

Thats better!

few interesting comments there to take note of.

Players have to be UK based and they will have to pay for their flights to Australia

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 73,00.html

"It's important for snooker to be in Australia, particularly with Neil Robertson as their lynchpin at the moment," said Dale. "We have to look at the future of the game and realise that if it grows there then there could be more events with more prize money.

"If I qualify I won't mind flying economy, I've done it a few times before. You can get a flight for around £1,200 so the players who qualify will still make money, have a great time and get some ranking points. Some of the players sometimes expect too much or get a bit greedy and don't realise the importance of going to play in events like this."

great attitude its important players realize that to make money you have to spend money nothing is for nothing sacrifices has to be made.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2370673,00.html

Thats better!

Players have to be UK based and they will have to pay for their flights to Australia

Is that unusual in individual sporting terms? I mean, I know in team games they don't pay for travel to away matches, but in individual sports I always assumed that they did. Boxers do have to pay travel, even if they are flying to another country to fight. Do tennis players fly to all tournaments? I don't really know that sport.

The only difference is the prize money involved in those sports over snooker, right?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Thats better!

Is that unusual in individual sporting terms? I mean, I know in team games they don't pay for travel to away matches, but in individual sports I always assumed that they did. Boxers do have to pay travel, even if they are flying to another country to fight. Do tennis players fly to all tournaments? I don't really know that sport.

The only difference is the prize money involved in those sports over snooker, right?

Tennis Players has about 50+ events to chose from so that is impossible

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:Tennis Players has about 50+ events to chose from so that is impossible

Do they? I really know fuck-all about tennis. rofl

I can count 71 tournaments this year on the mens tour

and i cant even be fussed tallying up the total prize money available on that tour but it will be colossal.

makes snookers busy calendar and tired excuses laughable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_ATP_World_Tour

Postby randam05

POTBLUE wrote:Anybody got any pictures of Dominic in the colourful shirts?

No but you can look in google images! Theres a few there.

Its great to have a fellow lover of dominic dale on the forum. Ive met him a few times now and had a good old chat with him.

Top man :hatoff: And when hes on form hes up there with the best! His come back from 6-2 in the final of shanghai against day was top drawer.

Postby Witz78

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC BUT SINCE ITS A DALE THREAD I DONT THINK THERES SUCH A THING AS OFF TOPICS

just came across this, i was at this game but dont remember this, a bit weird !?!

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC BUT SINCE ITS A DALE THREAD I DONT THINK THERES SUCH A THING AS OFF TOPICS

just came across this, i was at this game but dont remember this, a bit weird !?!

Not got sound on, could you tell what she was saying? Bit of a nutter fan it seems, though it's weird she was allowed to just grab him like that. There are a lot of Ronnie ubber-fans, so it's not that strange. Seems like shoddy security. Was she let past because she was fit, or just because the security was all 200 years old? :chin:

What was the venue like? Could she have got the autograph by waiting by the players exit later? I have heard Ronnie can be a bit of a sausage to people asking for his autograph, but haven't got it myself so have no first hand experience of whether that is true.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC BUT SINCE ITS A DALE THREAD I DONT THINK THERES SUCH A THING AS OFF TOPICS

Not got sound on, could you tell what she was saying? Bit of a nutter fan it seems, though it's weird she was allowed to just grab him like that. There are a lot of Ronnie ubber-fans, so it's not that strange. Seems like shoddy security. Was she let past because she was fit, or just because the security was all 200 years old? :chin:

What was the venue like? Could she have got the autograph by waiting by the players exit later? I have heard Ronnie can be a bit of a sausage to people asking for his autograph, but haven't got it myself so have no first hand experience of whether that is true.

its hard to make out, she runs up to get his autograph and says she loves him then she starts saying shes from London and does he know her brother Tucker or Tigger then Ronnie says Yeh come on thru the back to talk. Strange :john:

Postby POTBLUE

randam05 wrote:

Ah yes, these were the days when he wore pink shirts. Come on Dominic, we're relying on you to bring some colour back to the game.

Postby randam05

POTBLUE wrote:
randam05 wrote:

Ah yes, these were the days when he wore pink shirts. Come on Dominic, we're relying on you to bring some colour back to the game.

Hes my favourite player also :happy:

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:some hilarious lip synching near the end of this from Double D

This clip is just brilliant. So funny and interesting. The man is amazing. What a wonderful person.

Did I mention when i was at the PTC2 earlier this season that when I watched his match just after i had a nice conversation with him that I was sat with his mum the whole match nattering away. She was a wonderful lady telling me all about Dominic and cheering him on with me! She was asking who I was and why Dominics my number one player and all sorts, was really nice :-) then when he lost she apologised to me that her son had lost!

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:some hilarious lip synching near the end of this from Double D

This clip is just brilliant. So funny and interesting. The man is amazing. What a wonderful person.

Did I mention when i was at the PTC2 earlier this season that when I watched his match just after i had a nice conversation with him that I was sat with his mum the whole match nattering away. She was a wonderful lady telling me all about Dominic and cheering him on with me! She was asking who I was and why Dominics my number one player and all sorts, was really nice :-) then when he lost she apologised to me that her son had lost!

:mex: :mex: