Topic locked

Snooker Legends Brighton

Postby Steve K

Just on the offchance is anyone going to Snooker Legends at the Brighton Centre next month? It will be my very first Legends event and I have heard nothing but good news for it and to top it off I got VIP tickets, very excited! :D

Re: Snooker Legends Brighton

Postby SnookerFan

Steve K wrote:Just on the offchance is anyone going to Snooker Legends at the Brighton Centre next month? It will be my very first Legends event and I have heard nothing but good news for it and to top it off I got VIP tickets, very excited! :D

I did consider going, because I have a friend that lives near Brighton who'd be up for it, but it's two days before the one I'm going to in Croydon, so aint going to bother. They are very entertaining nights. Thought the John Virgo trickshot bit at the start is pretty similar if you go every year. But I'm sure you'll love it. It's as much about banter then snooker.

Postby gallantrabbit

It might not always be the highest level of snooker, but these guys have got their act together, are putting on a reral show and have got into it at just the right time. Great organization from what I can see and good luck to them.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:It might not always be the highest level of snooker, but these guys have got their act together, are putting on a reral show and have got into it at just the right time. Great organization from what I can see and good luck to them.

how many balls you pot how many frames you win is not that important in a exibition its just that everyone had a laugh with some snooker thrown in....

i have been to a few exibitions in my time 2 involving Alex Higgins thoes was electrick and a feeling of danger in the air he was playing jimmy white he lost 5-4 and he was livid as hell lol

he told someone that asked for a autograff to buck off. i was near by hasten to add i never aproached him that night <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes Wild. I never saw much in his 'people's Champ' tag either. Saw him twice at exhibitions and once he played so bad he could barely put 50 together and the other he was caned by Jimmy. Was not a happy man and everyone from Doug Perry his manager, to anyone who dared approach him suffered...
Unfortunatley he's not around anymore to 'add' to the Legends nights...

Postby SnookerFan

I saw a Jimmy White vs Alex Higgins match, maybe a year or so before Alex died. Alex barely knew where he was. (Though they both knew enough to have somebody run downstairs to the venue bar every so often, to bring them pints up.)

Alex could still play to a 30 or 40 break standard, no match winning clearances. Nowhere near the standard of his hey day. Though, it was a best of seven match, that went seven. Jimmy, at 2-0 up, did a break off shot whereby he split the reds, and left the cue ball in amongst. He did this a couple of times, to help Alex get in and make a couple of breaks. Sad to see that a former world champion needing such help.

It was a really badly organised night too. Me and my mate turned up to find two people sat in our seats. When we asked them to move, they said no, because the seats they'd ordered didn't exist. They had literally sold tickets with numbers on that didn't correspond to any chair. And then Jimmy and Alex were late out after the interval. (Virgo had been there doing the same jokes he always does.) People were looking at each other knowingly, the two of them were out on the snake hiss somewhere. rofl

I managed to get Alex's autograph afterwards. Poor man looked at me like he didn't know where he was. Dunno if that was because he was ill, or because he was drunk. Both probably.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:rather set fire to myself :-D

Is that a diss to Brighton, or the Snooker Legends in general? They are actually good events. Andy Goldstein aside.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:I'd rather set fire to myself :-D

You're missing out, these are very entertaining nights. I went last year, and am going to one in a few weeks. If you're a fan of snooker, it's criminal missing this, in my opinion.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:I'd rather set fire to myself :-D

You're missing out, these are very entertaining nights. I went last year, and am going to one in a few weeks. If you're a fan of snooker, it's criminal missing this, in my opinion.

I would rather set myself on fire by using something flamable and something to ignite it, probably petrol and a matches. :-D

Postby gallantrabbit

You criticise easily Smart. Of course if you want top top class snooker guaranteed you go to a ranking event, but you're going to be entertained for sure, and see some decent snooker always and some terrific snooker other times. Jimmy hit a 147 the other night, then missed pink for his second on the spin :bowdown: Parrott has had a number of tons too and even fellows like Taylor and Thorburn :gramp: might not be at the top of their game, but have been there and done it and I wouldn't play the for a hundred nicker, not any day, not ever.
To be honest I'd rather see this sort of event than a contrived World Seniors...The guys have got this travelling roadshow nicely organised and have had some decent turnouts.
Good luck to them is what I say.
Anyone got a light?

Postby Smart

gallantrabbit wrote:You criticise easily Smart. Of course if you want top top class snooker guaranteed you go to a ranking event, but you're going to be entertained for sure, and see some decent snooker always and some terrific snooker other times. Jimmy hit a 147 the other night, then missed pink for his second on the spin :bowdown: Parrott has had a number of tons too and even fellows like Taylor and Thorburn :gramp: might not be at the top of their game, but have been there and done it and I wouldn't play the for a hundred nicker, not any day, not ever.
To be honest I'd rather see this sort of event than a contrived World Seniors...The guys have got this travelling roadshow nicely organised and have had some decent turnouts.
Anyone got a light?

Gallant - nice words from Brazil, tough talking bull, good on ya :irk:

Anything with Virgo/Taylor and a host of past it pro's is defo no-go for anyone with half a brain.

Tables have relaxed pockets, tired jokes are rolled out.

Then you have to look at the likes of Parrot :wretch: Taylor :wretch: Virgo :wretch:

Pass me the sick bag - its a pile of marmite for people with half a brain.

Pass me some petrol and some matches.

ps Are legends doing a leg in brazil.

pps I hear that Eugene Hughes has been signed up for the Legends 2012.

pps Cliff Wilson was unavailable. :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:You criticise easily Smart. Of course if you want top top class snooker guaranteed you go to a ranking event, but you're going to be entertained for sure, and see some decent snooker always and some terrific snooker other times. Jimmy hit a 147 the other night, then missed pink for his second on the spin :bowdown: Parrott has had a number of tons too and even fellows like Taylor and Thorburn :gramp: might not be at the top of their game, but have been there and done it and I wouldn't play the for a hundred nicker, not any day, not ever.
Anyone got a light?

Gallant - nice words from Brazil, tough talking bull, good on ya :irk:

Anything with Virgo/Taylor and a host of past it pro's is defo no-go for anyone with half a brain.

Tables have relaxed pockets, tired jokes are rolled out.

Then you have to look at the likes of Parrot :wretch: Taylor :wretch: Virgo :wretch:

Pass me the sick bag - its a pile of marmite for people with half a brain.

Pass me some petrol and some matches.

ps Are legends doing a leg in brazil.

pps I hear that Eugene Hughes has been signed up for the Legends 2012.

pps Cliff Wilson was unavailable. :win: :wave: <ok>

Have you ever actually been to one? They are very, very entertaining. What you must remember this isn't being marketed as serious snooker, with top young talent. It's about having a laugh, and hitting a few balls. John Virgo isn't as big a hammer as he comes across on television. As a compare he has found a niche. Dennis Taylor, and even John Parrot who usually annoys the hell out of me, was pretty entertaining. But you do also run the risk of seeing some immense snooker. I was lucky enough to see the 147 Jimmy made at Redhill last year, and he also broke down on a colour on another 147 attempt. :shock:

How anybody with half a brain can not want to see one of these shows is beyond me.... Except for the fact they are including Andy Goldstein at this one. I don't see the point of that.

Postby Witz78

well im going to the one in Glasgow next month, albeit its mainly just a good excuse for a midweek night out with the lads haha

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:well im going to the one in Glasgow next month, albeit its mainly just a good excuse for a midweek night out with the lads haha

The banter is good though. :bowdown: I'm off to the one in Croydon, but I do have a friend that lives near Brighton who wants to go, so you never know.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:well im going to the one in Glasgow next month, albeit its mainly just a good excuse for a midweek night out with the lads haha

By the way, Smart said you'd only got half a brain if you go to these events. I'm not trying to start trouble. :grrr:

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:

By the way, Smart said you'd only got half a brain if you go to these events. I'm not trying to start trouble. :grrr:

I dislike Parrot, Taylor, Virgo to the extent that I will not line their pockets. I do not like non-competitive marmite full stop and this is nowt more than Big Break Mk 2. As you can gather I thought Big Break was a pile of marmite too. Have a nice time mate. :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I dislike Parrot, Taylor, Virgo to the extent that I will not line their pockets. I do not like non-competitive marmite full stop and this is nowt more than Big Break Mk 2. As you can gather I thought Big Break was a pile of marmite too. Have a nice time mate. :win: :wave: <ok>

i have to admit i prefer hard match play competitive snooker where winning or Losing means something not great lover of fun snooker where they hit the ball 100 miles an hour and have a laugh about it but each to their own.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

eh i only said i had tickets for this event, i never mentioned anything about actually going to watch it :D

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

eh i only said i had tickets for this event, i never mentioned anything about actually going to watch it :D

rofl My bad. I forgot who I was talking to. I take it the venue has a decent bar that you require the tickets to get in to?

Postby Steve K

Yeah he appeared and potted a few good balls, but that whole part was rather underwhelming so I didnt even remember it when it came to writing up the report!

Postby SnookerFan

Steve K wrote:Yeah he appeared and potted a few good balls, but that whole part was rather underwhelming so I didnt even remember it when it came to writing up the report!

I thought it might be.... rofl

Andy Goldstein is a prime example of somebody who thinks they are funnier then they are.