Post a reply

Lenny Henry radio show about snooker

Postby SnookerFan

Remember when Lenny Henry was at The Crucible? Researching for a radio show. Well, somebody has just brought to my attention that the show is on Radio 4, on Saturday 28th May.

It's called What's So Great About Snooker? And features Lenny Henry talking to Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Dennis Taylor, John Virgo, John Parrott and Terry Griffiths.

For those that are interested. <ok>

Re: Lenny Henry radio show about snooker

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:actually Chef was quite funny looking back. But apart from that...

Never really liked that, that much. I think he did some fine work advertising Premier Inn though.

Postby Steve K

I have my doubts that he actually likes Snooker considering he said that his parents forced him and his brothers/sisters to watch pot black against their will, but it should be an interesting programme anyway.

Postby SnookerFan

Steve K wrote:I have my doubts that he actually likes Snooker considering he said that his parents forced him and his brothers/sisters to watch pot black against their will, but it should be an interesting programme anyway.

I know. Behold the passion. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Listening to a bit of this on the internet now, because I forgot it was on when it was on. Will listen to the rest after work. I'm taking advantage of a few minutes when I have an internet connection. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Finishing the end of this. Seems alright. Don't know who it is aimed at. Lenny Henry admits to knowing buck all about snooker, and is finding out what it's about. A few interviews with the big names, Henry talking about the World Championships. If you know about snooker, there's no revelations, but you hate snooker why listen?

Not bad listen though. John Parrot is kissing up Ronnie O'Sullivan again.

Postby Wildey

basically Lenny as a kid thought snooker was boring rubbish and he got out to find out what made people get excited about men looking like penguins with sticks knocking balls about.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:basically Lenny as a kid thought snooker was boring rubbish and he got out to find out what made people get excited about men looking like penguins with sticks knocking balls about.

Yeah, pretty much. He's summarising at the end. He still thinks snooker is a bit rubbish. Though he asked Steve Davis 'Why snooker?" Steve said 'You don't choose snooker, snooker chooses you.' Great comment by Steve.

I must confess, it's a question I've wondered about. Why do I travel all over the contry, to sit in for up to 12 hours a day watching two blokes pushing balls around a table with sticks. You have to be a bit mad. But when you get what snooker is, you get it. You love it. I've never picked up a snooker cue, and I'm obsessed by watching it. It's just there.

Postby Wildey

up to 11 years of age id never seen snooker knew nothing about it.

its like falling in love nothing can explain what attracts a man to a woman or man to a man lol

it just something there and you go with it.

no disrespect to Lenny Henry but hes as funny as piles ive never got him at all and find him rubbish but thats me :-)

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:its like falling in love nothing can explain what attracts a man to a woman or man to a man lol

The quotes thread for this one <ok>

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:its like falling in love nothing can explain what attracts a man to a woman or man to a man lol

The quotes thread for this one <ok>

rofl

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:up to 11 years of age id never seen snooker knew nothing about it.

its like falling in love nothing can explain what attracts a man to a woman or man to a man lol

it just something there and you go with it.

no disrespect to Lenny Henry but hes as funny as piles ive never got him at all and find him rubbish but thats me :-)

RACIST :no: :no:

he was of his time i'll admit along with the likes of Hale and Pace, French and Saunders, Alexi Sayle, Ben Elton etc but he deserves to be wheeled out every 2nd year for his baby, Comic Relief

Postby SnookerFan

bucking hell, Hale and Pace, remember them. They'd probably be rubbish if we watched their material now.

We seem to be bogged down by what a tit Lenny Henry is, rather then enjoying the fact that there's a radio show on about snooker. :happy: I could've listened to more. Next week though, his show is about The Pogues, for some reason. :shrug:

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:bucking hell, Hale and Pace, remember them. They'd probably be rubbish if we watched their material now.

We seem to be bogged down by what a tit Lenny Henry is, rather then enjoying the fact that there's a radio show on about snooker. :happy: I could've listened to more. Next week though, his show is about The Pogues, for some reason. :shrug:

Anyone ever watch Kenan and Kel? My favourite childhood show by a clear distance :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:basically Lenny as a kid thought snooker was boring rubbish and he got out to find out what made people get excited about men looking like penguins with sticks knocking balls about.

Yeah, pretty much. He's summarising at the end. He still thinks snooker is a bit rubbish. Though he asked Steve Davis 'Why snooker?" Steve said 'You don't choose snooker, snooker chooses you.' Great comment by Steve.

I must confess, it's a question I've wondered about. Why do I travel all over the contry, to sit in for up to 12 hours a day watching two blokes pushing balls around a table with sticks. You have to be a bit mad. But when you get what snooker is, you get it. You love it. I've never picked up a snooker cue, and I'm obsessed by watching it. It's just there.

U must at least have tried to play surely at some point?

I find playing snooker far more appealing than watching it, albeit in a similar vein to that 147 prize argument, i find i usually need some sort of wager at stake, when playing snooker to fully get into it.

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:bucking hell, Hale and Pace, remember them. They'd probably be rubbish if we watched their material now.

Anyone ever watch Kenan and Kel? My favourite childhood show by a clear distance :hatoff:

They sound Oirish :no:

I was more of a Little and Large or Cannon and Ball man than Hale and Pace to be honest though i found all 3 double acts funny. They were all really 80s versions of Morecambe and Wise though L+L and C+B were still stuck in that end of the peir 70s slapstick comedy and innuendo.

Though as far as double acts go, the Two Ronnies snake hissed over them all, including Morecambe and Wise. :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
U must at least have tried to play surely at some point?

Not really. I've played pool, to a standard as low as it's possible to play with two arms. But never really played snooker. The closest I've come is hitting a few balls around a half-size table with my five year old Godson, so never on a real sized table. And even then our definition of playing was lining up shots and going; "Let's see if I can pot this", and then snake hissing ourselves laughing when we missed.

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:Keenan and Kel. rofl bucking hell. Now there's a show aimed at people who are still young enough to be in their mother's womb.

They were brilliant rofl
Nickelodeon in the 90's, couldn't beat it :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Keenan and Kel. rofl bucking hell. Now there's a show aimed at people who are still young enough to be in their mother's womb.

They were brilliant rofl
Nickelodeon in the 90's, couldn't beat it :hatoff:

Okay, confession time. I saw a bit of it the other day. I found that on some obscure kids channel, possibly Nickelodeon. It was one of those days when there was feck-all on, so I scrolled through everything...

It was stupid. They went with their parents on holiday, but one of them (the thin one who likes orange soda) got caught up because he had something metal on him, and they couldn't work out what it was. So the parents got on the plane, without the kids. <doh> Then Keenan and Kel got on the wrong plane by mistake. The security didn't bother to check their tickets, or anything, they just waved them on. They were sat down, like; "We'll find our parents after we've taken off, we'll be allowed to stand up then." And their parents were on the other plane, not caring in the slightest that they're plane had taken off and Keenan and Kel weren't on the plane with them. :huh:

When the adverts came on, I was like; "This is bullocks" and turned it over.