Topic locked

Re: Goldfields Australian Open Announced

Postby Wildey

worst kept secret (ok not quite :john: ) but its great news that at last its getting to be a reality and the qualifiers will actually be played in about a months time.

Postby mediter

Great news this !! I am sure players and fans will love it down there and this tournament will be very "special" :-)

I was pretty suprised about ranking tournament in Brazil.. :john: But this is just great in my opinion. North America next please :D

Postby Tubberlad

mediter wrote:Great news this !! I am sure players and fans will love it down there and this tournament will be very "special" :-)

I was pretty suprised about ranking tournament in Brazil.. :john: But this is just great in my opinion. North America next please :D

I actually heard rumour of a Pro-Am being played in Vegas, but rumour is about as far as it goes right now. Wouldn't mind a trip to sin city myself, buck the snooker mind <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
mediter wrote:Great news this !! I am sure players and fans will love it down there and this tournament will be very "special" :-)

I actually heard rumour of a Pro-Am being played in Vegas, but rumour is about as far as it goes right now. Wouldn't mind a trip to sin city myself, buck the snooker mind <laugh>

Would that be the only thing you'd be bucking? :evilgrin:

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:Could be this: http://www.goldfields.co.za/

Good to see a different type of company sponsoring the Snooker for a change, wonder if gold will feature heavy in the colour scemes or on the trophy? :)

Welsh Open has a Slate trophy

Germany has a Plastic Trophy

Let me think what the Australian Champion might take home <laugh>

seriously this is the best news possible for snooker ive felt for years they been putting their eggs in one bascket with China in recent years thats not expanding thats just looking for a new home.

now with Barry Hearns vision we have a chance for expanding i thought Neil Robertson being world champion would lead to something in Australia but to have a fully fledged Ranking tournament there so soon is great news...

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -open.html

The heavily trailed Australian Open has today been officially announced and will be held in Bendigo, Victoria.

This is great news. Even better news is that it is confirmed as an annual event until at least 2013.

There was, as I have written before, an Australian Open announced in 1989, the only snag being that it was played in Hong Kong. The WPBSA discovered that the promoter’s ‘business address’ was actually a bus shelter.

I have rather more faith in this new event.

Pedants will point out that it isn’t the first ranking tournament staged in Australia because the 1975 World Championship, held in Nunawading – also in Victoria – carried ranking points retrospectively.

But that’s hardly comparable. This is a new tournament and most welcome. It represents a genuine attempt by World Snooker to globalise the sport.

And it gets better. In a letter to the players, Barry Hearn has stated that: “we are in discussion for many more events around the world so watch this space” and that “Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, India, Canada etc are all on the agenda.”

Hearn adds that: “I believe a £10m prize fund per season is achievable.”

I hope the players – all the players – support the moves to make our game properly international.

It is the best way of guaranteeing its growth and ongoing success.

With regards to the new Australian tournament, I’m particularly pleased for Neil Robertson, whose world title triumph last year certainly played a major part in this tournament happening.

As you will know, his mother had never seen him play live as a professional before she flew to Sheffield for his Crucible final against Graeme Dott.

Now, his family and friends will surely turn up mob handed as Neil plays in his own country...and snooker takes another welcome step into the future.

buck sakes
The WPBSA discovered that the promoter’s ‘business address’ was actually a bus shelter.

rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:Welsh Open has a Slate trophy

An empty can of lager, with a picture of a smiley face attached.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:Welsh Open has a Slate trophy

An empty can of lager, with a picture of a smiley face attached.

Postby SnookerFan

Anybody know what format this is going to take? It's on for a week, so are we doing the traditional two match at a time, best-of-nine format? Or will Barry Hearn have something else in mind?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Anybody know what format this is going to take? It's on for a week, so are we doing the traditional two match at a time, best-of-nine format? Or will Barry Hearn have something else in mind?

i think it will be traditional with wild cards thrown in but who knows wait and see and you know what in a months time the qualifiers taking place so not long to wait on draws and format.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:Anybody know what format this is going to take? It's on for a week, so are we doing the traditional two match at a time, best-of-nine format? Or will Barry Hearn have something else in mind?

The new dress code for this event will be flip flops, Bermuda shorts and a vest, shades and a couple of tinnies of XXXX and Fosters, with blonde highlights in your hair an optional extra. :limp:

Postby Wildey

a few tweets from Dave Hendon

davehendon David Hendon
Two wildcards for the Aussie Open. Matches best of 9 until the semis where its 11 and the final is best of 17.

davehendon David Hendon
I reckon the first session will start at 4am (!) UK time and the second session at 10.30am.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
davehendon David Hendon
Two wildcards for the Aussie Open. Matches best of 9 until the semis where its 11 and the final is best of 17.

That's what I'm talking about. <cool>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Is it me, or does 4am sound more tempting as a get-up time then 3am? I wonder if I got up every day before work, how many days it'd be before I gave up. <laugh>

4am is a piece of snake hiss to get up for, if you have the desire to watch a said player vs another said player. Would you get up for coughing lady boy at 4am......................answer NO. :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Is it me, or does 4am sound more tempting as a get-up time then 3am? I wonder if I got up every day before work, how many days it'd be before I gave up. <laugh>

4am is a piece of snake hiss to get up for, if you have the desire to watch a said player vs another said player. Would you get up for coughing lady boy at 4am......................answer NO. :win: :wave: <ok>

I must say, I am tempted should it be on television. Catch the first match before work. <laugh> Each day, home, dinner, bed at 8pm, up at 4am. Bit of early morning snooker. :bowdown: If I weren't at work I'd do it every day, and catch up sleep in the afternoon. <laugh>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

I must say, I am tempted should it be on television. Catch the first match before work. <laugh> Each day, home, dinner, bed at 8pm, up at 4am. Bit of early morning snooker. :bowdown: If I weren't at work I'd do it every day, and catch up sleep in the afternoon. <laugh>

snooker :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:

What? This isn't a Professional Scrabble forum?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

What? This isn't a Professinal Scrabble forum?

good job rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

What? This isn't a Professinal Scrabble forum?

good job rofl

That's not the way I typed it. You must have editted that in quoting. :sad: