Post a reply

Can Ricky Walden win another ranking event?

Postby SnookerFan

I was just re-reading my programme I brought in The Crucible, and there was an article about how Ricky Walden is now back in the top-16. And it really struck me them mentioning that he was 28. I knew he was that old, but it still struck me that he can't be considered a young up-and-comer any more.

When you look at the Shanghai Masters he won, he beat some top players. Neil Robertson, Mark Selby, Ronnie O'Sullivan all fell to him. And though past their best, he also beat Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis in the same tournament. Two legends. Along with forum favouirte Zhang Anda in the Wildcard round, it was a very impressive run.

Since then he's not really been to those giddy heights. Should he have done, do people think? Will he do? Or will the Shanghai Masters be the pinaccle of his career?

Re: Can Ricky Walden win another ranking event?

Postby simplysnooker

I'm not sure if I'm honest, in all the matches I've only seen him on TV at the World Open and World Championships this year. At the World Open he got to the Quarter Finals, so on his day he is a top player, he relished in the best of 5 format as he's one of those players who can reel of a couple of frames very quickly when he's on his game.

At the Worlds, playing my good mate Rory, it was a disaster. I don't know if it was Rory who made Ricky lose his way a bit but he had a complete meltdown. I think he's definitely got the game to win a ranking event, it's just putting it all together and going right for the week. He's not one of those players that if he's playing badly can scrape a win in the early rounds like a Higgins can.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:I'm not sure if I'm honest, in all the matches I've only seen him on TV at the World Open and World Championships this year. At the World Open he got to the Quarter Finals, so on his day he is a top player, he relished in the best of 5 format as he's one of those players who can reel of a couple of frames very quickly when he's on his game.

At the Worlds, playing my good mate Rory, it was a disaster. I don't know if it was Rory who made Ricky lose his way a bit but he had a complete meltdown. I think he's definitely got the game to win a ranking event, it's just putting it all together and going right for the week. He's not one of those players that if he's playing badly can scrape a win in the early rounds like a Higgins can.

Can't really comment on the McLeod match. I didn't see that match at the worlds, as I've already seen Rory McLeod play once this season, and that was too many. rofl

Hilarious jokes aside, I did get the feeling when Walden started talking smack about McLeod afterwads, that Rory's style, I got the feeling that Walden had really been bogged down by that style, and hadn't handled the pressure well. That's always a bad sign. If a style of play irritates you, then your going to find it very difficult to play against. Doesn't necessarily bode well for future success, if you can't adapt your game against all styles in the same way the aforementioned John Higgins can.

Interesting point about the World Open, maybe that'll be one Walden should shoot for.

Postby Wildey

dont forget Rory even got to John Higgins but like all great champions he managed to turn the tide.... that what you got to do at this level.

By concentrating on how Rory played thats a weakness in Ricky's game and mindset.

of course he can win another but his second event will be harder for him because he has shown a weakness against a certain type of player.

Postby Bourne

I thought the ranking system hurt Walden after that Shanghai win, had the rolling system been in place then a match less to make venues and he'd be a lot more accustomed to the big players than he is now, he seems to be a couple of years behind where he should be with the talent he has.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I thought the ranking system hurt Walden after that Shanghai win, had the rolling system been in place then a match less to make venues and he'd be a lot more accustomed to the big players than he is now, he seems to be a couple of years behind where he should be with the talent he has.

yes fair point he was ranked 9th after that shanghai win and by the end of the season he had fallen about 9 spots.

Postby SnookerFan

What are people's opinions of Walden as a player? Are people a fan of his? When he first won in Shanghai, I kind of had him as a qualifier to avoid in the first round for the rest of the season. Somebody who could give the top-players a lot harder game that they'd want first match into the tournament. Now, I don't feel that way. He has failed to capitalise on his success. (Though, I can name somebody who had recent success that some of us were saying that about a couple of months back.) ;-)

I find Walden, in a way, though an attacking player, can be somewhat awkward. I think it's his height. How tall is he? He's about 6'2'' or 6'3'' right? When he bends over the table, he looks like Bambi trying to walk. <laugh>

Personally, I'd like to see him win another couple of rankers. Even if they're just Welsh Open and China Open standard. I don't think he's going to win an impressive haul of majors somehow.

Postby Bourne

Alex0paul wrote:
randam05 wrote:I like him a lot, but for me, a one hit wonder.

Bit young for you isn't he?

Not gona lie, that made me laugh.

Postby randam05

Tubberlad wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

<laugh> very good...

rofl

I do like some young ones!

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

<laugh> very good...

rofl

I do like some young ones!

what young ones do you like? :shrug:

i have Snookerfan down as a fan of Vivien <doh>

Postby Monique

gaz147 wrote:I am a mate of Ricks for many years. He is a class player. I think his cue is the problem to him not winning more. He has the talent and ability for sure.

I agree Gaz. Ricky has the talent. I'm not sure what it is that shatters his confidence though. Maybe it's his cue indeed.

Postby randam05

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's time that this thread comes back to life.

Ricky Walden is back, playing as good as I have ever seen him play.

YES HE CAN!

Great player to watch :-)

Hope he can win a tournament! He deserves another one :-D

World snooker said earlier, if Fu or Walden win this tournament they will get a wild card to the masters

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:World snooker said earlier, if Fu or Walden win this tournament they will get a wild card to the masters

yes and its not beyond either of them but Maguire and Robbo been very impressive and if Judd can step it up a bit he can do some damage whitch i think he will on the back of beating Ronnie.

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:Joke if they add a wildcard into the Masters again <doh> Bazza starting to crack under pressure I think.

It's not exactly a wildcard as obviously a player winning the UK does belong to the elite. And it's nothing new, it was the same last year.