Post a reply

How will John Higgins fare next season?

Postby SnookerFan

Right, I've done a Jimmy White one, now I'm asking about the 2011 World Champion.

I got daydreaming about snooker, as I often do. (They say men think about sex every three seconds, I think about snooker. <laugh> ) John Higgins since he came back from suspension rarely clicked out of second gear. Which is quite scary considering he won the PTC event he returned in, the UK Championship, the Welsh Open and the World Title. Without really hitting his best all season. Whether it was because he had a new lease of life following his escape from being banned, whether he was just hungrier to prove his doubters wrong, or whether he just buried himself in snooker after a year full of tragedy, he's been very hard to beat this year.

Will this form continue? Will the break for summer end his momentum? Or will the fact that he's had a shorter season then most make him want to come back?

The real question is who will stop him. He certainly seemed to have Mark Williams number last year. Ronnie's off form, and has lost plenty of times to Higgins when he's not been. Ding looked good in winning The Masters, and in getting to the semis of The Crucible but I just don't see him being somebody who will consistently know Higgins out of tornaments. Robertson looks like he is more interested in being a dad that his concentration on snooker has suffered. Judd Trump pushed him close in the World final, though it was step too far. I think he might be a constant thorne in John's side next season. John Higgins wasn't phased by playing an extreme potter like Judd last season, many in the past couple of months had been. A series of matches between John and Judd next season would be something special, I reckon.

Will John Higgins dominate next year? Will Judd be able to stop him? Will anybody?

Re: How will John Higgins fare next season?

Postby Witz78

BRECEL to hit the ground running off the back off the PTCs and make an imstant impact in a ranker next season i predict.

One quarter final in a main ranker next season worst case scenario i predict.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:BRECEL to hit the ground running off the back off the PTCs and make an imstant impact in a ranker next season i predict.

buck me, that's a bold prediction.

Postby Witz78

the Trump "making at least one semi in the last 3 rankers" prediction was seen as nonsense by most here and it easily came true, so im happy to stand by this Brecel prediction.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:the Trump "making at least one semi in the last 3 rankers" prediction was seen as nonsense by most here and it easily came true, so im happy to stand by this Brecel prediction.

I didn't say it was nonsense, I said it was bold. There's a difference.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:the Trump "making at least one semi in the last 3 rankers" prediction was seen as nonsense by most here and it easily came true, so im happy to stand by this Brecel prediction.

The difference though is that you had seen Trump play and progress for a few seasons, you haven't seen Luca at all except on some youtube footages and in the PowerSnooker ... or am I wrong?
For what I've seen from Luca I expect him to struggle to keep his MT spot. And I wouldn't be surprised if he got himself in trouble with the authorities at some point. I hope he proves me wrong though, but that's my feelings for now.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:BRECEL to hit the ground running off the back off the PTCs and make an imstant impact in a ranker next season i predict.

buck me, that's a bold prediction.

and old wild will be on hand to remind him how much of a hyping sausage he really is <doh>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote: And I wouldn't be surprised if he got himself in trouble with the authorities at some point.

:shock: Really

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:

The difference though is that you had seen Trump play and progress for a few seasons, you haven't seen Luca at all except on some youtube footages and in the PowerSnooker ... or am I wrong?
For what I've seen from Luca I expect him to struggle to keep his MT spot. And I wouldn't be surprised if he got himself in trouble with the authorities at some point. I hope he proves me wrong though, but that's my feelings for now.

Come on Mon, spill the beans. Why is this your feeling? Are there things you've seen that we haven't?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:

Come on Mon, spill the beans. Why is this your feeling? Are there things you've seen that we haven't?

<doh> Shes explained this in details numerous times.

To summarise he has autism, the success and hype has gone to his head and his pushy parents have pushed Luca so far that he might rebel against them. (According to Monique )

Postby Monique

He has autism indeed and his reactions to frustration are not always what you expect at professional level. Also he wouldn't speak to the media or on television and he will be expected to do that: it will be part of his pro duties.
I have no idea if the hype and success has gone to his head, but he's certainly hyped to the extreme and his father is contributing to that big time. I'm not sure how Luca will react to the inevitable reality check when he will play in the pro circuit; the other pros will give him no quarters.
I've never mentioned that he could or would rebel against his parents though... (except that most teenagers do that at some point ;) ... but that's irrelevant here ).

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:He has autism indeed and his reactions to frustration are not always what you expect at professional level. Also he wouldn't speak to the media or on television and he will be expected to do that: it will be part of his pro duties.
I have no idea if the hype and success has gone to his head, but he's certainly hyped to the extreme and his father is contributing to that big time. I'm not sure how Luca will react to the inevitable reality check when he will play in the pro circuit; the other pros will give him no quarters.
I've never mentioned that he could or would rebel against his parents though... (except that most teenagers do that at some point ;) ... but that's irrelevant here ).

wow

in a bad way i suspect but that sounds exciting for snooker we just don't know how this great talent will react.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
<doh> Shes explained this in details numerous times.

To summarise he has autism, the success and hype has gone to his head and his pushy parents have pushed Luca so far that he might rebel against them. (According to Monique )

Who doesn't answer their parents back? rofl I know he's autistic, but that doesn't necessarily men he'll land in hot water. Depends on the level. I was lead to believe it was quite accute. I mean, it can lead you to say and do the wrong thing without intent, I realise. But, I didn't think Brecel's was that serious. I thought he had more the addictive side to it, where people get obsessed by the smallest detail. It'd make sense for a snooker player, actually. If he could do 8 or 9 hours of practice in a row without getting bored, imagine how good a player would. Some people that have it that serious could watch a best of 19 snooker match, that went the distance, and then a week later could still tell you the exact order the balls in each frame were potted. They take in the smallest detail, might be a help not a hindrance.

I just thought Monique was going to tell us something more juicy then that. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:He has autism indeed and his reactions to frustration are not always what you expect at professional level. Also he wouldn't speak to the media or on television and he will be expected to do that: it will be part of his pro duties.

You ever met him? Autism can take various guises. I've seen autistic people actually get violent, for no real reason. Others just go about their life. Isn't Brecel's quite accute?

Postby Monique

Yes, I've met him and he isn't very communicative to say the least. Now his father Carlo is constantly with him and it's hard to know how much he "protects" Luca or if he is, in fact, overbearing. I've no reason at all to think that Luca would be violent. But he can become quite petulant when frustration gets at him. My feeling is that Luca hasn't much social skills or intuitive understanding of human interactions, and being educated at home certainly doesn't help to develop those skills, and that this could bring him in trouble at times.

Postby Tubberlad

How will John Higgins fare next season?

Probably just fine. However, I think he may fall to second in the pecking order behind... Judd Trump. Bold prediction yes, and it won't happen overnight, but you can hold me to that one.

Would be nice to see Sullivan play well next year, form is temporary, class is permanent, and I'd like to see him shut a few people up <laugh>

Postby Roland

To be honest though, even though I was rooting for Judd and seeing the match through Judd tinted glasses, when I go back and look at the final Higgins seems pretty much in control the whole time and ups his game as required. I still think Higgins can win another couple of world titles, he is that good.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:To be honest though, even though I was rooting for Judd and seeing the match through Judd tinted glasses, when I go back and look at the final Higgins seems pretty much in control the whole time and ups his game as required. I still think Higgins can win another couple of world titles, he is that good.

How many world titles do you think it will take, before the miserable bastard shakes fans hands after winning one?

Postby Roland

It was the security guard who stopped it! Plus he was a bit bleary eyed like he'd just been crying. He said thanks a lot though when I said well done.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It was the security guard who stopped it! Plus he was a bit bleary eyed like he'd just been crying. He said thanks a lot though when I said well done.

True enough. <ok> I mean he'd got pretty blubby already in front of everybody already. It must've been an emotional enough time for him, just losing his dad as well. Probably the last thing he wanted to do was talk to two plebs who wondered up to him.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:It was the security guard who stopped it! Plus he was a bit bleary eyed like he'd just been crying. He said thanks a lot though when I said well done.

Yeh Mark the bouncer grabbed his hand and said "Resistance is futile" :gag:

Postby Casey

Should Higgins still have the desire, next season is there fore him to dominate, just like he did in the second half of this season.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Higgins will fall down hard this season. He finished his revenge rampage and achieved everything last season. His motivation will be gone and he'll be very beatable next season.

And who will beat him? It will be random, insignificant players who you at least expect to do it.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Higgins will fall down hard this season. He finished his revenge rampage and achieved everything last season. His motivation will be gone and he'll be very beatable next season.

And who will beat him? It will be random, insignificant players who you at least expect to do it.

Okay, we get it. He got accused of cheating. Bitterness is such a futile emotion.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Higgins will fall down hard this season. He finished his revenge rampage and achieved everything last season. His motivation will be gone and he'll be very beatable next season.

Okay, we get it. He got accused of parakeeting. Bitterness is such a futile emotion.

No. I mean it. Except he really wants to beat the Davis ranking record he won't have that incredible will to win anymore.

Maybe he won't fall down as hard as in 2007/08 but won't defend any of his major titles. Mark my words.

Postby Casey

Doubtful, the season prior he was contending for every event and that was prior to the allegations. That saying, I don't think he will have the desire to win every event as this season, however he will pick up a couple of trophy's. Possibly The UK?