Post a reply

WPBSA Statement

Postby Wildey

Following a full and comprehensive investigation into a match at the UK Championship in December 2008, the Scottish Crown Counsel has decided that there is insufficient evidence to justify a criminal prosecution.

Full Statement HERE

Re: WPBSA Statement

Postby GJ

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Postby Wildey

im pleased the Police took 3 years to find that out :?

its a miracle really any offenses are dealt with.

Postby Roland

Not exactly the easiest thing to prove though is it?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Not exactly the easiest thing to prove though is it?

thats why its amazing that now the WPBSA gets to look at the evidence.

as a snooker authority they got more of a understanding of it than a bunch of police officers.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Not exactly the easiest thing to prove though is it?

thats why its amazing that now the WPBSA gets to look at the evidence.

as a snooker authority they got more of a understanding of it than a bunch of police officers.

eh but the snooker authority dealing with it will be led by Hearns pal PC Plod rofl

Postby GJ

witz

if you had your way every scottish player would be banned

so i will take your views on this with a pinch of salt

Postby Bourne

I knew you were innocent Mags <ok>

Postby DavieMac

Ah, world No.2... back when he was any good. Seems a long time ago.

Anyway, about time they came to a decision after all this time.
Last edited by DavieMac on 18 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

yes D D will be dealing with it but Steve Davis is also part of the panel that looks at the evidence.

now that the police has cleared them of fraud can the WPBSA Ban them ???

they are banned from snooker for match fixing but police cant charge them :?

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witz

if you had your way every scottish player would be banned

so i will take your views on this with a pinch of salt

im scottish and want the scots banned but you didnt.

but i didnt want the aussie hann banned and you did.

we should swap nationalities :shrug:

tell my why the burnett - maguire match wasnt a fix though, give me one good reason :no:

Postby GJ

witz

hann was proven guilty fair enough

maguire and burnett havent been found guilty fair enough

their the FACTS

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:yes D D will be dealing with it but Steve Davis is also part of the panel that looks at the evidence.

they could at least be fined or banned for "bringing the game into disrepute" the same as Higgins if its as clear as it seems. that miss on the black is a crime in itself id say. Have yous ever seen anyone play a black to win a frame like that before, even the pace of it? Anyone else would punch it into the pocket and if they did miss it it would prob rattle in the jaw a good few times and jaw. A pro should never miss the knuckles of the pocket by inches from there <ok>

Postby Casey

This verdict actually gives the WPBSA the chance to fully investigate the matter themselves.

Postby Witz78

their the FACTS

technically Hann wasnt found guilty as he never turned up to plead his case to the WPSBA, he resigned his membership before the hearing so they threw the book at him.

He was never found guilty by the cops, dont think they even investigated it did they.

And his offence, a tabloid sting agreeing to fix frames caught on camera was identical to Higgins set up so why ones guilty of match fixing and the other isnt plus the 8 year ban v 6 month ban totally stinks to me.

And if the Russian Mafia are real :chuckle: then why dont the police get involved and deal with these guys <doh>

As for Maguire and Burnett being innocent, sure the police aint charged them now, but there under WPSBA investigation so who knows what will happen.

Postby Monique

their the FACTS

Hahn has been demed guilty by the snooker authorities, not the police or the prosecutor general.
Maguire and Burnett have been cleared of legal charges because there isn't enough evidence for prosecution in law. They will now be investigated by the snooker authorities. They should have been from the start, but that was impossible as long as the legal case was open. I'm not prejudging from the outcome. Just pointing out that you compare things that are not comparable.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:yes D D will be dealing with it but Steve Davis is also part of the panel that looks at the evidence.

they could at least be fined or banned for "bringing the game into disrepute" the same as Higgins if its as clear as it seems. that miss on the black is a crime in itself id say. Have yous ever seen anyone play a black to win a frame like that before, even the pace of it? Anyone else would punch it into the pocket and if they did miss it it would prob rattle in the jaw a good few times and jaw. A pro should never miss the knuckles of the pocket by inches from there <ok>

not very punchy was it lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHiSTPswz4

Postby GJ

i think its convenient for some people to assume guilt for some players and not other players

Im happy to accept hann was guilty otherwise why did he not bother fighting the charges and i dont care what his nationality is its irrelevant

On the other hand the police have had long enough to blacken maguire and burnett and havnt found them guilty of anything and the other investigation will find the same verdict IMO.

Although some people had decided maguire and burnett were already guilty so are not happy now and are clutching at straws hoping the WSA investigators will find some evidence that obviously doesnt exist as the police have found.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:i think its convenient for some people to assume guilt for some players and not other players

Im happy to accept hann was guilty otherwise why did he not bother fighting the charges and i dont care what his nationality is its irrelevant

On the other hand the police have had long enough to blacken maguire and burnett and havnt found them guilty of anything and the other investigation will find the same verdict IMO.

Although some people had decided maguire and burnett were already guilty so are not happy now and are clutching at straws hoping the WSA investigators will find some evidence that obviously doesnt exist as the police have found.

whats the difference between people like me and you

youve clearly wanted to think there innocent from day 1 and are happy now but i think your only wanting them to be found innocent to get one over the majority here

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:i think its convenient for some people to assume guilt for some players and not other players

whats the difference between people like me and you

youve clearly wanted to think there innocent from day 1 and are happy now but i think your only wanting them to be found innocent to get one over the majority here

If im as biased as some say i would have kept my rose tinted aussie specs on and said hann is innocent despite all the evidence that proves otherwise

:wave:

Postby vodkadiet

If Burnett can get away with that, then I think Peter Francisco should be given £1 million compensation and a top 16 place for next season. :-)

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... opped.html?
MAGUIRE V BURNETT: POLICE CASE DROPPED
The criminal investigation into the Stephen Maguire-Jamie Burnett match at the 2008 UK Championship, which attracted an unusually high volume of bets on the correct scoreline, has been dropped.

The Scottish Crown Counsel say there is insufficient evidence to justify a criminal prosecution.

However, the WPBSA has announced its disciplinary committee will review the case.

"We are treating this case very seriously. We will now be given access to the evidence connected with the case, and our disciplinary committee will review that evidence thoroughly," said Jason Ferguson, WPBSA chairman.

A significant number of bets were placed on Maguire to win the first round match at Telford 9-3.

Burnett had a chance to win the 12th frame but grossly over-cut the final black.

Shot analysis would have formed only a small part of the police investigation, although they did interview TV commentators for their views of the match and shots played.

The bulk of the police case would have been in linking either player to the bets placed, which they have clearly been unable to do to the satisfaction of the prosecuting authorities.

A WPBSA investigation would focus more on the shots played, although an analysis of any match would throw up some odd shot selections because that is the nature of the game, particularly when a player is under pressure.

However, it is right that this case is properly investigated by the governing body, although it goes against the WPBSA's earlier statement that its new disciplinary process would only investigate matches played since it was set up.

Postby Witz78

for me Burnetts reaction when he flukes the pink after playing a mad hit and hope (...it doesnt go in) shot then realises hes perfect on the black is telling.

Almost like hes thinking "oh rubbish, how the hell am i gonna miss the black"

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:for me Burnetts reaction when he flukes the pink after playing a mad hit and hope (...it doesnt go in) shot then realises hes perfect on the black is telling.

Almost like hes thinking "oh donkey doo, how the hell am i gonna miss the black"

Perfect on the black ?! No way :no: That was tough even for a pro but let alone the pressure on him to make it what with the speculation at the time about 9-3s.

I always assumed wild knew something he shouldn't have when he was bumming himself out for picking 9-3 in the predicts contest, did the police interview him I wonder :chin:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:for me Burnetts reaction when he flukes the pink after playing a mad hit and hope (...it doesnt go in) shot then realises hes perfect on the black is telling.

Almost like hes thinking "oh donkey doo, how the hell am i gonna miss the black"

Perfect on the black ?! No way :no: That was tough even for a pro but let alone the pressure on him to make it what with the speculation at the time about 9-3s.

I always assumed wild knew something he shouldn't have when he was bumming himself out for picking 9-3 in the predicts contest, did the police interview him I wonder :chin:

rofl

seriously ive seen easier pots than that missed in my time there was one or two pots id have knocked in blindfolded missed during the WC. pressure does silly things to a cue action.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:

their the FACTS

technically Hann wasnt found guilty as he never turned up to plead his case to the WPSBA, he resigned his membership before the hearing so they threw the book at him.

He was never found guilty by the cops, dont think they even investigated it did they.

And his offence, a tabloid sting agreeing to fix frames caught on camera was identical to Higgins set up so why ones guilty of bright green and the other isnt plus the 8 year ban v 6 month ban totally stinks to me.

And if the Russian Mafia are real :chuckle: then why dont the police get involved and deal with these guys <doh>

As for Maguire and Burnett being innocent, sure the police aint charged them now, but there under WPSBA investigation so who knows what will happen.

Witz the sting was not the same, JH wasn't all alone in the room and didn't setup the meeting. Mooney was deemed the instigator and was banned for life.

With Hann, he was the only one there negotiating his fee for throwing a match and he never showed to defend himself because he knew they had him busted.

Postby Casey

There are people that will tell you the 85 final was a fix and look at Steve's attempt on the final black.

However I am with Witz on Jamie's face when he potted the pink, he was not a happy bunny.

Postby Witz78

yeh sadly Hann wasnt in the fortunate position Higgins was of having some chinless wonder, namely Mooney to take the rap for him.