Post a reply

Secondary Tournament of the year!

Postby SnookerFan

If we take the majors out of the equation (World, UK and Masters), what do people think was the most enjoyable tournament last year?

I am guessing most people are going to say the World Open. Just due to a lot of people seemed to really enjoy that format. Personally, I liked the China Open. Wasn't on the BBC, but I enjoyed it. It seemed one of the rare all best of nine tournaments last year. And I think, what with the PTCs, everybody was really match-sharp by then. You had one of the all time best BO9 matches ever in Williams vs Lee. You had Mark Selby playing some truly perfect safety snooker. Judd came of age. There weren't many poor matches, I didn't think.

What was everybody's favourite tournament last year? Ranking tournaments in partiuclar.

Re: Secondary Tournament of the year!

Postby Steve K

Wild wrote:German Masters without a single millisecond of doubt.

I probably would of agreed with you Wild, it looked like an amazing venue with some brilliant matches but it was only on for 5 days and I think I was only watching it for 2-3 of those.

Probably the World Open for me too, think I saw every match there!, the early stages of the Welsh were quite exciting though with Stevens, Day, Hendry etc

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:
Wild wrote:German Masters without a single millisecond of doubt.

I probably would of agreed with you Wild, it looked like an amazing venue with some brilliant matches but it was only on for 5 days and I think I was only watching it for 2-3 of those.

Probably the World Open for me too, think I saw every match there!, the early stages of the Welsh were quite exciting though with Stevens, Day, Hendry etc

i just hope they will use the experience of thoes 5 days and build something special in germany over the next 3 years.

it was exciting stuff and the arena was second only to the crucible.

id love to go over there one day.

Postby Witz78

5 tables in play at once didnt work for me and i cant begin to imagine how unsure what table to watch the fans were. They prob got home and didnt feel like theyd even watched any of the games as its always far better to focus on one game than 2 when your near the divide at an event, let alone having 5 tables to view at once.

This set up was so they could cram all the matches into 4/5 days but id like to think with the interest in Germany that next seasons event could be a week long or even 9 day event over 2 weekends with only 2 tables set up inside that great arena.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:5 tables in play at once didnt work for me and i cant begin to imagine how unsure what table to watch the fans were.

people that went disagrees with you . it worked brilliantly.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:5 tables in play at once didnt work for me and i cant begin to imagine how unsure what table to watch the fans were.

people that went disagrees with you . it worked brilliantly.

these are folk whove been starved of snooker for years, they would just be happy to see the top names in town.

a week long "proper" ranker feel to the event is required.

especially if that 2,000 seat arena can be packed out for 7 or 9 days instead of 4/5. Kerching.........

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:5 tables in play at once didnt work for me and i cant begin to imagine how unsure what table to watch the fans were. They prob got home and didnt feel like theyd even watched any of the games as its always far better to focus on one game than 2 when your near the divide at an event, let alone having 5 tables to view at once.

This set up was so they could cram all the matches into 4/5 days but id like to think with the interest in Germany that next seasons event could be a week long or even 9 day event over 2 weekends with only 2 tables set up inside that great arena.

I actually agree with you. Though I very much liked the layout, and thought it looked good for televisual purposes, I questioned at the time how well it worked for a ticket buyer. I was quickly put in my place by people that had been there, saying it was an amazing experience. And they weren't distracted by being able to see all matches at once. At the time I bowed to their superior knowledge, in that they were there and I wasn't. But it's an interesting point. How would they respond to being at one match at a time, and concentrate fully on that match?

I'm not against the German Masters, as I think the layout looks spectacular on television. Which seems to be a Hearn priority. But I think with the Germans being that interested in snooker at the moment, they could easily have a more traditional format, last 7 or 9 days and have it elsewhere in Germany. The fact it was a lot shorter felt really rushed. And though enjoyable whilst it lasted, it made me want more.

Postby Tubberlad

It's nice to be asked this question and struggle to pick a winner, not because none stood out but so many stood out. German Masters, World Open, China Open, take your pick.

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:It's nice to be asked this question and struggle to pick a winner, not because none stood out but so many stood out. German Masters, World Open, China Open, take your pick.

Ill prob get pelters from the purists but id prob have to say The Shootout with the World Open a close second.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:It's nice to be asked this question and struggle to pick a winner, not because none stood out but so many stood out. German Masters, World Open, China Open, take your pick.

Ill prob get pelters from the purists but id prob have to say The Shootout with the World Open a close second.

I don't really count the Shootout, but yes, it was a very entertaining event :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

i was pleasantly surprised by the shootout i dont mind admitting i really enjoyed it but i just cant call it snooker in no way shape or form.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I actually agree with you.

:clap: good man, knew youd come round to my way of thinking re: dancing eventually <ok>

Yeah, whatever Witz. buck sake. :roll:

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

i was pleasantly surprised by the shootout i dont mind admitting i really enjoyed it but i just cant call it snooker in no way shape or form.

It was more of an entertainment than a snooker tournament really, but it did go very well. Very nice setup, a few exciting finishes, good atmosphere and very well presented by Sky. Nothing wrong with enjoying this one :hatoff:

Power Snooker, now there's a different story :irk:

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

I don't really count the Shootout, but yes, it was a very entertaining event :hatoff:

That's why I said 'particularly a ranking event'. I figured the Sky Shootout would come up, and we'd debate whether it counted.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

It was more of an entertainment than a snooker tournament really, but it did go very well. Very nice setup, a few exciting finishes, good atmosphere and very well presented by Sky. Nothing wrong with enjoying this one :hatoff:

Power Snooker, now there's a different story :irk:

all ill do is change it in the callender so that its played just before the World OR just before christmas when everyone in a festive spirit.

Postby Bourne

Germany completely passed me by, all came across a bit rushed and unprofessional to me. The World Open was superb though, drama from day one.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Germany completely passed me by, all came across a bit rushed and unprofessional to me. The World Open was superb though, drama from day one.

for me Germany totally snake hissed all over the World Open

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Germany completely passed me by, all came across a bit rushed and unprofessional to me. The World Open was superb though, drama from day one.

i saw none of the german masters but all the world open

:hatoff: :ahh:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

eh 9 days v 4 days <doh>

being able to see every single game of the tourney or 1 out of 5 in the early stages <doh>

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

eh 9 days v 4 days <doh>

being able to see every single game of the tourney or 1 out of 5 in the early stages <doh>

witz :hatoff: <cool>

wild :fart: :wave:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

eh 9 days v 4 days <doh>

yes i could do with more days but thats the key when you thinking rubbish i need more instead of rubbish when is this 5 frame bullocks finishing :john:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

eh 9 days v 4 days <doh>

yes i could do with more days but thats the key when you thinking rubbish i need more instead of rubbish when is this 5 frame bullocks finishing :john:

right well we know you hated it and would never be convinced regardless. youd made your mind up beforehand anyway so your opinion doesnt count. :no:

the roll on roll off format worked well with up to 6 games a day.

there was instantly drama and tension with the match being poised nicely near a conclusion adding pressure to the play from the off.

Many memorable and dramatic games during the event, Selby-Hawkins, Pettman - Maguire, King - Ronnie, White- Ronnie, Ebdon - Song, Ebdon - Gould, Maguire - Ronnie (one of the ganes of last season) and Williams - Robertson all stand out.

Postby Wildey

no i was joking a bit there mate it was not as bad as i made out but id rate them id do it like this

Germany
China Open
Shanghai
World Open
Welsh Open

but there was nothing much between shanghai,World Open and Wales but Germany and China was miles ahead. and not just because selby reached the finals ;-)

Postby Bourne

Frames on TV in World Open - 171
Frames on TV in Germany - 92

So if wild really wanted more and more, then he'd have been watching the World Open religiously and LAVVVIING IT :ahh: