40%
No
20%
Depends who is playing.
40%

Total votes : 10

If there is an Australian ranking tournament

Postby SnookerFan

If there is a ranking tournament next year in Australia, matches will run during the night. My question is, will you watch these events?

Didn't somebody mention the matches would start at 3am and 8am. 8am, I'll be on my way to work. But, I was pondering whether it was worth getting up at 3am to watch matches. Will anybody else be doing this?

Discuss.

Re: If there is an Australian ranking tournament

Postby Roland

I'm pleased snooker is going global obviously and I'm happy for tournaments to be in Australia. I'd be concerned if there were only 6 events on the calendar and the Worlds was in Australia but I don't feel the need to watch every single event when there are so many going on. Obviously a tasty semi or final line up would get the interest up enough to consider getting up at "going on holiday" time i.e. 4am or something stupid you only do on special occasions.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Sky+ them but what if they're not on tv?

yes i doubt that time will be on eurosport they don't broadcast between 1am and 7am.

Postby randam05

Ill watch the 3am ones! Love getting up early, or staying up late. Ive always wanted to be nocturnal. Seriously. Thats why I like playing snooker I guess. But yeah, I would watch the 3am ones on weekend, or holiday nights. But if during school, then Ill sky + all of them as usual.

Postby Smart

randam05 wrote:Ill watch the 3am ones! Love getting up early, or staying up late. Ive always wanted to be nocturnal. Seriously. Thats why I like playing snooker I guess. But yeah, I would watch the 3am ones on weekend, or holiday nights. But if during school, then Ill sky + all of them as usual.

Real fans will watch whatever the time. I remember watching a Allen/Wenbo match that was on at 0300 hrs. I watched it out of intrigue and cos it was a great match up. :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby Steve K

Wild wrote:

yes i doubt that time will be on eurosport they don't broadcast between 1am and 7am.

Ah rubbish thats true :/ Maybe they will show like 30-6o minutes of highlights at 7am then go live to the "evening" session at 8am? Hope EuroSport do broadcast it, i'm sure it will be popular as pretty much f all is on at that time in the morning.

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:
Wild wrote:

Ah rubbish thats true :/ Maybe they will show like 30-6o minutes of highlights at 7am then go live to the "evening" session at 8am? Hope EuroSport do broadcast it, i'm sure it will be popular as pretty much f all is on at that time in the morning.

yes eurosport will broadcast it i think they signed a contract recently for the next 6 years that includes all ranking tournaments.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
randam05 wrote:Ill watch the 3am ones! Love getting up early, or staying up late. Ive always wanted to be nocturnal. Seriously. Thats why I like playing snooker I guess. But yeah, I would watch the 3am ones on weekend, or holiday nights. But if during school, then Ill sky + all of them as usual.

Real fans will watch whatever the time. I remember watching a Allen/Wenbo match that was on at 0300 hrs. I watched it out of intrigue and cos it was a great match up. :win: :wave: <ok>

What tournament was that? And why was it on at 3am?

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

It was the World Open roll on roll off and Rory was in the previous match :santa:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

china open when they used to use 3 tables with 3 sessions which one session was the morning session at about 3am British time.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It was the World Open roll on roll off and Rory was in the previous match :santa:

God, I remember Ebdon in that tournament. A best of five match would still last him six-hours. It was even worse if he didn't whitewash the match. :zzz:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:It was the World Open roll on roll off and Rory was in the previous match :santa:

God, I remember Ebdon in that tournament. A best of five match would still last him six-hours. It was even worse if he didn't whitewash the match. :zzz:

what kinda snookerfan are you?

u hate the World Open cos of the short format?

so Ebdon gives you long matches that you crave for and your still unhappy <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:what kinda snookerfan are you?

u hate the World Open cos of the short format?

so Ebdon gives you long matches that you crave for and your still unhappy <doh>

You lecture me on my fandom? Really?

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:Is there an Australian ranking tournament next season?

Yes there is - featuring Federer, Nadal, Murray ...

It's been rumoured, but nothing confirmed. Hence me adding the prefix 'if'.

Isn't there a week put aside in next season's calendar saying; "Spare ranking tournament". Maybe it's that one.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:its in July after the World Cup

theres no IFS about it.

when have i ever been wrong before? trust me, trust me, trust me.........

Good man. You got any news on where the one happening 27th - 30th June is happening?

Postby snooky147

I honestly don't know what is happening anymore. All that way (and expensed at the players own cost) for a frigging best of 5 up until the quarters. It's a total bucking disgrace. And you dont see me swear very often on any forum.
If it wasn't for the fact that they are essentially blackmailed into going because of the rolling rankings I dont think many would go. It's okay to turn SOME tournaments into a quickfire shootout bucking lottery but not them all and the way Hearn is going that's exactly what is going to happen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Postby Monique

snooky147 wrote:I honestly don't know what is happening anymore. All that way (and expensed at the players own cost) for a frigging best of 5 up until the quarters. It's a total little kittens playing with each other having fun disgrace. And you dont see me swear very often on any forum.
If it wasn't for the fact that they are essentially blackmailed into going because of the rolling rankings I dont think many would go. It's okay to turn SOME tournaments into a quickfire shootout little kittens playing with each other having fun lottery but not them all and the way Hearn is going that's exactly what is going to happen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Exactly. At 2600£ the BA flights (in economy flexible) + accommodations, local transports and food... you make the calculations.
The rolling ranking system does indeed blackmail the players into this. Fo how long? Because it won't be long before many players come to the conclusion that they just can't afford it all, even if they want to. IF.

And don't come anyone about necessary "sacrifices". Nobody can spend money they don't own in the first place, not on the long term anyway.

Not to mention that the prospect to fly over 45 hours (with return, that's the minimum, direct flights) for a game of snooker that might be over in less than an hour will not appeal to many. Will be interesting to monitor the qualifiers for this one...