Post a reply

How will Jimmy White fare next season?

Postby SnookerFan

I know Jimmy White threads can get quite plentiful on the internet, especially when he's not doing well and people want to con themselves into thinking he can win tournaments again.

But, he did qualify for a hell of a lot of tournaments last year. Including the UK Championship, the second most prestigious tournament of the year. He also qualified for the World Open, and a few of the Eurosport tournaments. (He would've been in China had it not been for certain stupidities.)

Obviouly, Jimmy White isn't going to win any tournaments, and didn't win many matches once he had qualified. (His performance against Stephen Hendry in Telford was pretty poor. As was Hendry's.) Though he's obviously still good enough to qualify for tournaments, which looked difficult for him in the past couple of seasons. He didn't need any Jimmy Cards last season, that's for sure.

How do people see it going next season? Will he keep it up, and qualify for more tournaments? Or is his purple patch over?

Re: How will Jimmy White fare next season?

Postby Witz78

Playing in the Premier League against top players ought to help sharpen up his game.

Harshly IMO hes had 350 points deducted for the China debacle meaning he ends the season in 55th instead of 52nd.
At the end of the day he won 3 qualifying rounds and deserved the 1960 points. His own fault and loss for not maing it to the tournament costing him the chance to earn more. I guess this is some sort of punishment deducting these points but when i think back 2 years to Davis not even going to Bahrain yet getting points for reaching the 2nd round, it seems a bit harsh this on Jimmy.

In his advantage Jimmy has fewer points than virtually everyone else on tour to lose next season so he should rise up the rankings even if he doesnt set the world alight, though ill be looking for him to push on and aim towards the top 32. Honestly it aint an unachievable target.

He did finish 43rd on last seasons one year list too, so with few points to lose, if he continues to win qualifiers, hes projected to head in the direction of the top 32. The PTCs early in the season will be the key i guess to seeing where his seasons going. Hope he can fit them in, around his vast exhibition commitments.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Playing in the Premier League against top players ought to help sharpen up his game.

Harshly IMO hes had 350 points deducted for the China debacle meaning he ends the season in 55th instead of 52nd.
At the end of the day he won 3 qualifying rounds and deserved the 1960 points. His own fault and loss for not maing it to the tournament costing him the chance to earn more. I guess this is some sort of punishment deducting these points but when i think back 2 years to Davis not even going to Bahrain yet getting points for reaching the 2nd round, it seems a bit harsh this on Jimmy.

In his advantage Jimmy has fewer points than virtually everyone else on tour to lose next season so he should rise up the rankings even if he doesnt set the world alight, though ill be looking for him to push on and aim towards the top 32. Honestly it aint an unachievable target.

He did finish 43rd on last seasons one year list too, so with few points to lose, if he continues to win qualifiers, hes projected to head in the direction of the top 32. The PTCs early in the season will be the key i guess to seeing where his seasons going. Hope he can fit them in, around his vast exhibition commitments.

come on mate jimmy white is not playing anywhere good enough to be top 32 but if he continues to play to the standard he is 33 to 48 he should be consistent in that bracket.

i think a few more top players will be taking the PTC Serious next season and the lower rankers will find it tougher than last season although some will get through obviously.

Postby Witz78

the way i look at, on the 2010-11 one year ranking list he was 43rd, 1725 points off the 32nd man Jamie Jones.

this list is effectively how the old provisional list would have been at the start of the season.

we know there are different rankings cut off points now, but ultimately this one year list is how things will look come the end of the season once everyone has there points from 09-10 taken off, The only missing thing is the points from this season to add on so if Jimmy continues to qualify for a lot of events like he did last year, then the 1725 maximum points he in theory has to make up on the 11 guys ahead of him is not unachievable.

Top 32 at 50 year old is a great target Jimmy.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:there is no doubt Jimmy White is a better player now than he was 3 or 4 years ago

the experience of playing competitive games against the top players in the PL should stand him in good stead for any venues he reaches in the rankers, as last season he seemed to blitz opponents in qualifying, scoring well, but then when he got to a venue he played an un-natural defensive negative game that backfired.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:there is no doubt Jimmy White is a better player now than he was 3 or 4 years ago

the experience of playing competitive games against the top players in the PL should stand him in good stead for any venues he reaches in the rankers, as last season he seemed to blitz opponents in qualifying, scoring well, but then when he got to a venue he played an un-natural defensive negative game that backfired.

but in all honesty Jimmy has all the experience in the world playing top guys and 20 second shot clock wont be preparing him for MT Qualifiers will it.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:the PL is a joke event

Because Selby's not playing :limp:
I'm looking forward to it more than ever with the way they've revamped it :D

Postby Wildey

i have no problem with what they have done with the PL Because it has now defied totally what it is.

before there was a feeling it was bigger than it actually was now there is no question.

Postby Witz78

dont watch it then :D

it attracts new fans to snooker <ok>

it gives the elite guys more match practice <ok>

it gives these guys a chance to win good money <ok>

it gives us live snooker evert week through the Autumn in between the rankers <ok>

it takes live snooker to parts of the UK that never normally get the chance to see the sport <ok>

its a good place to experiment for the future direction of the sport :john:

Postby SnookerFan

To me the Premier League is something to dip in and out of. If the PL comes to a Leisure Centre near you, it's worth seeing. But I'm not going to be crying any tears that I can't watch it this season. It's repetitive and dull if you watch it every week. Maybe an excuse for the evening in a pub, watch a few big name players hit a few balls on telly. That's about it.

Good for Jimmy being there, really. Can't really begrudge him making a few bob out of it.

Postby Roland

No I'll probably tune in if I haven't cancelled my Sky Sports subscription before it starts which I am seriously considering doing because it's such a rip off. The Premier League itself won't stop me from cancelling if that's what I choose to do.

I have to admit that using the shootout frame to decide a result in the event of 2-2 is a great idea and would make me want to watch and depending on the line up I'm more or less likely to tune in. Judd v Ding and try keep me away. Ronnie v Jimmy and :zzz:

Does anyone know the odds on Jimmy finishing bottom of the table?

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:No I'll probably tune in if I haven't cancelled my Sky Sports subscription before it starts which I am seriously considering doing because it's such a rip off. The Premier League itself won't stop me from cancelling if that's what I choose to do.

I have to admit that using the shootout frame to decide a result in the event of 2-2 is a great idea and would make me want to watch and depending on the line up I'm more or less likely to tune in. Judd v Ding and try keep me away. Ronnie v Jimmy and :zzz:

Does anyone know the odds on Jimmy finishing bottom of the table?

Jimmy will be in the top 7 anyway id say. With the crowd behind him the likes of Carter will wilt under pressure of the shotclock and a hostile crowd.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Carter did alright in the Power Snooker and seemed to enjoy the crowd. White should do OK but I'm not sure if it will help much in the proper tournaments. He played from 2005- 2007 and even made the final one year yet had his worst run ever going from Top 10 to outside the Top 64. Since he stopped getting invited his form has improved. Remember Judd Trumps excellent PL campagn in 2009 came at time when he was getting hammered by Marcus Campbell in qualifiers.

Postby gallantrabbit

JImmy will carry on buzzing along enjoying himself. As long as he can stay in the top 64 he'll be happy. One of the busiest players on tour still. JImmy forever. Hope he can do himself justice in the PL

Postby Tubberlad

To be honest SF, and I don't mean any offense with this, I couldn't give a flying buck how he does next season. White should have retired after winning the Players' Championship in 2004.

Watching White only makes people wonder what was so great in the first place, and that's a pity. His game is NOTHING like what it was in the early nineties, he's pretty gritty now, and that just isn't Jimmy White.

Having him in the Premier League next year, a player ranked 55th, on the basis that he won a pointless seniors competition, strips the 'Premier' in its name of any credibility.

I don't want to say much bad about White because he's one of my heroes, and it really gets to me that he was never World Champion. He was a superb player. But watching him now does nothing but bore me to be brutally honest.

Forever a legend, mind.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:To be honest SF, and I don't mean any offense with this, I couldn't give a flying buck how he does next season. White should have retired after winning the Players' Championship in 2004.

Watching White only makes people wonder what was so great in the first place, and that's a pity. His game is NOTHING like what it was in the early nineties, he's pretty gritty now, and that just isn't Jimmy White.

Having him in the Premier League next year, a player ranked 55th, on the basis that he won a pointless seniors competition, strips the 'Premier' in its name of any credibility.

I don't want to say much bad about White because he's one of my heroes, and it really gets to me that he was never World Champion. He was a superb player. But watching him now does nothing but bore me to be brutally honest.

Forever a legend, mind.

nothing like honesty <laugh>

Postby Roland

I sound totally cynical when I say I have no interest in watching Jimmy v Ronnie but I'm afraid I really don't. I saw Jimmy White at his very best and believe me he is absolutely one of the best players that has ever played the game and if he was 18 again today he would make a similar impact on the game. He did so much, brought so much joy to people across all cuesports. I want to just let him be because he loves the game and he doesn't deserve the cynical sniping about how he shouldn't be in the Premier League and get Masters wildcards. He wants to play in those events and fair play to him, it's the people who make the decisions to include him that are answerable to the cynics. Jimmy can still play ok in patches but really his game right now is nothing I can take any pleasure from watching. The last time I really got behind him and cheered him on was in the UK against Hendry last December but even when I was really getting behind him and letting all those nostalgic feelings flood back, I knew I was watching a paper thin shell of the player he once was. And as Tubberlad points out, it's a real shame that in a way his legacy has been tainted with the last few years given that had all this technology been around 30 years ago then his real best snooker would be filling out Youtube and getting the whole world excited.

Judd Trump is the new Jimmy White.

Postby Witz78

but Sonny every players legacy is tainted because they all play on past their peak.

Hendry?

Davis?

there no different to White

infact at least White and Davis are playing on, albeit at a far lower standard than their peak because they love the game and play for fun almost.

Unlike Hendry who remains miserable and deluded that hes still the player he was 15 years ago.

Postby Tubberlad

I don't blame Jimmy for what has happened to his legacy. I really like Jimmy White, and it ain't nice to be cynical about him. It annoys me to hear people simply label him as a bottler, because Jimmy White did an immense amount for this game, and was better than the vast majority of players who actually won the title.

I, as Sonny has pointed out, blame people like Hearn for leaving him open to this sniping with Jimmycards and invitations to the Premier League. Lets face it, ig Ebdon had won the World Seniors, I don't think there's a hope he'd be gearing up for a Premier League campaign, but when White does it, well, any excuse to slot him in.

Fair play to him for sticking at it, I've always admired his love for this game. But it's just a little sad to hear people wondering what the big deal is.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:but Sonny every players legacy is tainted because they all play on past their peak.

Hendry?

Davis?

there no different to White

infact at least White and Davis are playing on, albeit at a far lower standard than their peak because they love the game and play for fun almost.

Unlike Hendry who remains miserable and deluded that hes still the player he was 15 years ago.

Hendry? Deluded? Hendry knows exactly where he stands nowadays, he don't bull. White still talks like he can be World Champion, Hendry was within a whisker of retiring, and this is probably his last season

Postby Wildey

Alex Higgins most famous Quote after he lost even late 80s to early 90s "I Shall Return" Jimmy is a bit like that.

Tubber is Right Stephen Hendry knows the score.....he does think he can play to a high level but also knows he hasent got any consistancy to carry it on thats why he was honest when Hazel asked him after beating Perry "Can you win it" he said "no i cant".

same question to Jimmy "I Dont know why not" would have been the answer

Postby Roland

The Premier League used to be a nice little club for the legends like Davis and Hendry and White but then gradually their standard (not Hendry mind you) dropped below those of the top players or more like those of the top 8 players so questions began to be asked of who should drop out to make way. Davis had a really poor Premier League in I think 2008 and it has to be said I've been watching the guy for 30 years exactly and I've never seen him play worse and it was a sustained period of time. Jimmy wasn't faring much better and they were getting their baboons shiny behinds kicked so something had to be done.

Jimmy is a crowd puller, just ask Snooker Legends guru Jason Francis. Barry Hearn knows this too and fair play to him he's made this years PL fair by opening it up a bit to include more players and tournament winners. Barry has cleverly used the opportunity to create a set of criteria letting Jimmy into the PL by way of his seniors win. He's going to have to stick to this now for future years so if a freak result happens and Willie Thorne wins it next year then he'll have to be invited assuming there are 8 or less tournament winners on the main tour.

So fair play, Jimmy will get the crowds in and everyone still loves him but he cannot compete with the top players and that's a fact so he is going to be on the receiving end of a few kickings by the likes of Robertson and Murphy and Ding and Higgins. Is that going to be entertainment?

I wish Jimmy all the best and I hope he can do himself justice in the event and I would love it if he finished mid-table, but he's got to be favourite to finish bottom.

By the way, anyone who calls Jimmy White a bottler doesn't know what they're talking about and hasn't seen him play in his 20's and early 30's. Take out the World Finals and then see how good he is in big matches with big pressure. He fell at the final hurdle because he wanted it too much, it meant so much to him but that doesn't make him a bottler.

Postby Wildey

according to the calender World Seniors will be played at the same time as the World Open next season so who knows we could get Willie Thorne in the PL hahaha

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Alex Higgins most famous Quote after he lost even late 80s to early 90s "I Shall Return" Jimmy is a bit like that.

Tubber is Right Stephen Hendry knows the score.....he does think he can play to a high level but also knows he hasent got any consistancy to carry it on thats why he was honest when Hazel asked him after beating Perry "Can you win it" he said "no i cant".

same question to Jimmy "I Dont know why not" would have been the answer

its not long ago you were talking from your point of view and Hendrys that he could still win things and wouldnt do what Davis and White have done and play on, knowing they cant compete at the top level <doh>

As for Jimmy, hes an eternal optomist, its all bravado really, deep down of course he knows he cant compete but Jimmy, like Alex was is a bit of a child in a mans body and speaks from the heart, not the head at times. Just like he plays from the heart instead of the head at times too, but thats what adds to his appeal i guess, the vulnerability and naivety of him.