Topic locked

Best match of the 2011 World Championships?

Robertson v Trump
8%
Gould v Fu
No votes
Hendry v Perry
8%
Allen v Stevens
8%
Hawkins v Maguire
No votes
Dott v Carter
8%
Ding v Bing
10%
Selby v Hendry
3%
Allen v Hawkins
No votes
McLeod v Higgins
No votes
Ding v Selby
No votes
Higgins v O'Sullivan
5%
Trump v Ding
33%
Higgins v Williams
3%
Higgins v Trump
15%

Total votes : 39

Re: Best Match of the 2011 World Championships

Postby Bourne

Only voting ONCE since there can only be one match in a 'best match' poll lol ... and that is Trump vs Ding for so many reasons, but was also one of the most heartbreaking too.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:when you look at the "contenders" it actually becomes apparant that this WC was hyped up as there was a lot of dire matches

I thought it was easily the best since 2003, just a pity Higgins won it and not Trump :chuckle:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I made a mistake and only voted for Trump-Ding but Allen-Stevens and Higgins-Trump would have got it as well. There were some poor matches but this year had the best final since 2005, the best pair of semi's since 2007 with Trump-Ding the best match at that stage since the early 2000's. Plus Trump & Allens runs made it a memorable year. With so much Snooker played theres always going to be a fair amount of crap but the good stuff this year was very good.

Postby Casey

Being front row for the last couple of frames in the Hendry v Perry match was pretty special for me.

I thought the two SF's were also brilliant.

Postby SnookerFan

Trump vs Ding, probably.

I would say Higgins vs Trump, but was more then likely influenced by the fact I was there, which always adds to a match. That and the atmosphere.

It's hard to pick though, there were some good matches there. Even from the start. Even matches such as Jamie Cope vs Andrew Pagett, that you would expect to be jabronified were pretty good.

It was just a shame Rory McLeod was in the tournament. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:surprised im the only one so far to go for Selby - Hendry. The quality of play from Wiggy was awesome

Yeah, Selby was on fire in that match. I actually thought he was a serious contender to win, based on that play. Though, however good it was to watch, I'm not sure an arse-drubbing of that proportion can be considered the best match of the tournament. However good it was to watch Selby's play.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:surprised im the only one so far to go for Selby - Hendry. The quality of play from Wiggy was awesome

yes the play from selby was awsome but this thread is Best Match and that was a non evcent TBH

Postby Roland

I enjoyed it but looking back the matches I enjoyed the most all involved Judd Trump.

Gould v Fu would've been my 4th choice

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I made a mistake and only voted for Trump-Ding but Allen-Stevens and Higgins-Trump would have got it as well. There were some poor matches but this year had the best final since 2005, the best pair of semi's since 2007 with Trump-Ding the best match at that stage since the early 2000's. Plus Trump & Allens runs made it a memorable year. With so much Snooker played theres always going to be a fair amount of crap but the good stuff this year was very good.

I was sat here thinking; "That can't be true, there must've been some decent final since then." But it turns out, aside from the Higgins vs Selby final, which I thought was a cracking match, most of them have been duds. You had the classic that was Ebdon vs Dott, you had the one-sided Ronnie wins, and even the John Higgins vs Shaun Murphy match which should've been a blinder, ended up with Murphy choking the match big-school stylee. That's pretty depressing really. 2010 wasn't too bad, and had a new champion crowned. But was still a classic grind, and at getting on for 1am, many of us were happy it ended.

I had to work the next day.

Postby Witz78

Higgins - Selby wasnt a classic, it was more like the Robbo - Murphy and Allen - Higgins semis 2 year ago where someone went miles ahead, opponent made a good comeback but alas, it was in vain

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Higgins - Selby wasnt a classic, it was more like the Robbo - Murphy and Allen - Higgins semis 2 year ago where someone went miles ahead, opponent made a good comeback but alas, it was in vain

yes comeback matches are only classics if they go on to win.

comeback for nothing isnt a "classic" in my eyes.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Higgins - Selby wasnt a classic, it was more like the Robbo - Murphy and Allen - Higgins semis 2 year ago where someone went miles ahead, opponent made a good comeback but alas, it was in vain

I didn't say it was a classic, but labelling a comeback match a dud, just because the person making a comeback doesn't quite win is a bit silly.

I thought it was a good match, where Selby looked down and out, but on the second day it wasn't quite assured...

I wasn't liking it to Davis vs Taylor.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

I didn't say it was a classic, but labelling a comeback match a dud, just because the person making a comeback doesn't quite win is a bit silly.

I thought it was a good match, where Selby looked down and out, but on the second day it wasn't quite assured...

I wasn't liking it to Davis vs Taylor.

yes i loved the grinding way Selby came back but the comeback finished just 1 or 2 frames to early to make it interesting in the end it was 18-13 the equivelant of a 5-0 in a best of 9 as higgins put the peddle to the mettle and raced home lol

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
yes i loved the grinding way Selby came back but the comeback finished just 1 or 2 frames to early to make it interesting in the end it was 18-13 the equivelant of a 5-0 in a best of 9 as higgins put the peddle to the mettle and raced home lol

Okay, I'm sorry. It was a rubbish match. I'm sorry I enjoyed it. :grrr:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Okay, I'm sorry. It was a rubbish match. I'm sorry I enjoyed it. :grrr:

<laugh> :baby: rofl