Post a reply

India to host pro snooker event next year

Postby Wildey

BANGALORE: Nearly two decades after playing host to a few top world snooker professionals in an invitational event in the country, India will get to see who's who of snooker on a regular basis. For, come February 2012, India will host its first-ever World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) ranking event.

MORE HERE

Re: India to host pro snooker event next year

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:More good news.

Could someone care to post a full list of the actual proper rankers next season as im losing track of things now haha

hahahaha

i was thinking the same ive lost tract lol

christ at this rate ill have a ranker in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch rofl

Postby Tubberlad

Wow, I did not expect that one...

Witz, I'm losing track myself but I think that makes:

Worlds
UK
World Open
China
Shanghai
Wales
Australia
PTC Finals
PTCs

non ranking:
Masters
Brazil
Chinese invitational
World Cup
Seniors
Shoot out
Premier League

Power Snooker....

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Theres another sian ranking event in late march along with the China Open. It's reaching a point where you could nearly have a seperate Asian tour now. Theres five ranking events, the World Cup, two invitationals and possibly some PTC events.

Postby Tubberlad

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Theres another sian ranking event in late march along with the China Open. It's reaching a point where you could nearly have a seperate Asian tour now. Theres five ranking events, the World Cup, two invitationals and possibly some PTC events.

On the European Tower you have an 'Asian Swing'... we're not too far off that now ourselves

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:Wow, I did not expect that one...

Worlds
UK
World Open
China
Shanghai
Wales
Australia
GERMANY
INDIA

PTC Finals
PTCs

non ranking:
Masters
Brazil
Chinese invitational AKA Wuxi Classic
World Cup
Seniors
Shoot out
Premier League
CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE
Power Snooker....

ive filled a couple of blanks, weve prob still missed a few though :chuckle:

Postby Tubberlad

Cheers, there's a Hainain Classic aswell, isn't there? Would love to know the total prize money for the year. They should have a money list to run alongside the ranking list, to include non-ranking events and really flex the muscles of the sport.

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:Cheers, there's a Hainain Classic aswell, isn't there? Would love to know the total prize money for the year. They should have a money list to run alongside the ranking list, to include non-ranking events and really flex the muscles of the sport.

6 million i think. a big improvement on the 3 million it was with 7 events under Walker ONLY 2 years ago :shock:

though when you think about it, thats 6 million between 96 players on tour fighting over it, and a drop in the ocean compared to other sports.

Ultimately we want to be aiming towards an even fuller tour (the PTCs will be reduced in time as they make way for full rankers) with 10 million at least in prize money and the chance for someone to earn a million a season in prize money which Davis amazingly achieved 25 years ago :shock:

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Cheers, there's a Hainain Classic aswell, isn't there? Would love to know the total prize money for the year. They should have a money list to run alongside the ranking list, to include non-ranking events and really flex the muscles of the sport.

6 million i think. a big improvement on the 3 million it was with 7 events under Walker ONLY 2 years ago :shock:

though when you think about it, thats 6 million between 96 players on tour fighting over it, and a drop in the ocean compared to other sports.

Ultimately we want to be aiming towards an even fuller tour (the PTCs will be reduced in time as they make way for full rankers) with 10 million at least in prize money and the chance for someone to earn a million a season in prize money which Davis amazingly achieved 25 years ago :shock:

I know it's only a drop in the ocean, but we cannot really compare ourselves to Tennis & Golf, but hopefully in my lifetime that comparison will be made without people guffawing at the mere thought.

It's a massive improvement on a sport that was dying two years ago, and it really WAS in the doldrums.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I wouldn't get rid of the PTC Events. They're great for any newcomers. If I was a player starting out I'd far rather be playing in tournaments with a fairly level playing field and with the chance of playing a Higgins or Trump than being ghetto'd into qualifiers playing other newcomers for the chance to meet some journeyman who has been doing this for 15 years and is on his home territory. One way to clear up the season would be to change the way you qualify for big events. The PTC season finishes just before the UK Championship. I'd have the 16 highest ranked players not already in the top 16 as the qualifiers just like in Darts for the World Matchplay.

Postby Steve K

Really looking forward to these new ranking events, the question is though how do they make themselves unique like the German Masters did the with the 5 table setup?

Postby Alex0paul

They could probably get rid of the Championship League now in my opinion. If they were doing it basically to stream an event on betting websites then try and stream some of the PTCs through them.

Postby Tubberlad

It will be interesting to see what kind of formats the new events will adopt actually, I doubt Hearn will opt for the traditional best-of-9 one

Postby Witz78

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I wouldn't get rid of the PTC Events. They're great for any newcomers. If I was a player starting out I'd far rather be playing in tournaments with a fairly level playing field and with the chance of playing a Higgins or Trump than being ghetto'd into qualifiers playing other newcomers for the chance to meet some journeyman who has been doing this for 15 years and is on his home territory. One way to clear up the season would be to change the way you qualify for big events. The PTC season finishes just before the UK Championship. I'd have the 16 highest ranked players not already in the top 16 as the qualifiers just like in Darts for the World Matchplay.

the aim of the PTC was to form a backbone to supplement the main rankers and give the players more opportunities

as time goes on, the PTC will serve its purpose of taking snooker to new territorys where full rankers can occur.

Ultimately you want a full calendar of proper events with the need for 6 closed doors events in Sheffield consigned to history as its almost laughable for a sport to do that.

But we had to start somewhere and i appreciate the PTC tour for what it is.

I like your suggestion for the PTC top 16 ranked who arent in the top 16 getting straight into UK, would spice up the PTC tour a lot and also give us a chance to see some new faces on the big stage

Postby Witz78

Alex0paul wrote:They could probably get rid of the Championship League now in my opinion. If they were doing it basically to stream an event on betting websites then try and stream some of the PTCs through them.

good suggestion <ok>

Postby Casey

The only bad thing is that instead of the 6 Wildcards playing against qualifiers for a place in the last 32, they are automatically getting there. So only 10 non top 16 players will get to qualify.

Anyway £250k prize pot means a first prize of around £60k. Not bad.

Postby Monique

That India event isn't confirmed by WPBSA yet and frankly, going by the current provisional calendar http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Tourna ... 2012season I can't see how to fit it in February 2011; that month is already pretty full. Also I wonder how they will come up with 10 qualifyers. I don't reckon that they could run a normal qualifying set of qualifiers rounds and then randomly draw 6 unfortunates "out" of it. Any knock out process will always yield a "power of 2" number of blokes, 1,2,4,8,16 ... but never 10 and I doubt that a massive league format is doable... So at least that bit looks pretty bizarre to me.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Wow, I did not expect that one...

Worlds
UK
World Open
China
Shanghai
Wales
Australia
GERMANY
INDIA

PTC Finals
PTCs

non ranking:
Masters
Brazil
Chinese invitational AKA Wuxi Classic
World Cup
Seniors
Shoot out
Premier League
CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE
Power Snooker....

ive filled a couple of blanks, weve prob still missed a few though :chuckle:

Dave Hendon has said he doubts Power Snooker will happen they still not payed for the Add in Snooker Scene since last time.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:That India event isn't confirmed by WPBSA yet and frankly, going by the current provisional calendar http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Tourna ... 2012season I can't see how to fit it in February 2011; that month is already pretty full. Also I wonder how they will come up with 10 qualifyers. I don't reckon that they could run a normal qualifying set of qualifiers rounds and then randomly draw 6 unfortunates "out" of it. Any knock out process will always yield a "power of 2" number of blokes, 1,2,4,8,16 ... but never 10 and I doubt that a massive league format is doable... So at least that bit looks pretty bizarre to me.

yes there will have to be serious re jigging of the provisional calender but remember its only provisional already PTC 1 has moved from original 10th of june to 20th of june so they can and i guess will re do it if needed.

but this has not been confirmed by World Snooker and who knows it might only be a PTC Event which is "RANKING"

Postby Monique

Yes but what about the qualifying process? They must find some space in the calendar for that too. And come up with 10? That's bizarre.
Also a PTC can't possibly carry a 250000£ prize money...
So there are quite a few inconsistencies there and we have to wait for confirmation on WSA regarding the event itself and it's format.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Yes but what about the qualifying process? They must find some space in the calendar for that too. And come up with 10? That's bizarre.
Also a PTC can't possibly carry a 250000£ prize money...
So there are quite a few inconsistencies there and we have to wait for confirmation on WSA regarding the event itself and it's format.

i know

there needs to be some serious re jigging if and only if it happens.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Has that Australian one been confirmed, or is that still a bit up in the air?

I can see why people are losing track. <laugh>

i think Australia is confirmed im not to sure when its on though

theres a overseas Ranking event penciled in day after the World Cup

July 11-17
World Cup

Thailand

July 18-24
Overseas ranking event

could be that date

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Aahh, Incredible India

Had to be done. rofl

I'm hoping that every country that Eurosport advertises will soon have a ranking event. I am particularly looking forward to The Israel Open.