Post a reply

Luca Brecel get a MT Wildcard

Postby Monique

According to Luca Brecel FB page and to Maximumsnooker on twitter it seems that Luca Brecel got an MT wildcard and will not go to the Q-school.
Well I don't agree with this (and yes I'm Belgian). Luca has done pretty nothing over the last season, neither in PTCs nor in the World Open or in the amateur events. Actually my perception is that his snooker has gone backwards over the last year. So why him?

Re: Luca Brecel get a MT Wildcard

Postby Bourne

Good decision, i'm looking forward to seeing how he can progress at this level now and that rivalry with Judd in the coming years will be blistering <ok>

Postby Witz78

Excellent news. I wholly support this decision.

He is a special case, and given the fact he was twice denied entry onto tour in the past when hed rightfully earned his place, given that the rules on age have been lifted it is the right thing to do.

Contrary to opinion, there was always going to be scope for a Wildcard or 2 onto next seasons tour.

My only hope now is that an olive branch is offered to Quinten Hann and he gets back his place on tour.

Postby GJ

witz

he has no interest in coming back

he was doing the pool circuit not sure what hes at these days

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:According to Luca Brecel FB page and to Maximumsnooker on twitter it seems that Luca Brecel got an MT wildcard and will not go to the Q-school.
Well I don't agree with this (and yes I'm Belgian). Luca has done pretty nothing over the last season, neither in PTCs nor in the World Open or in the amateur events. Actually my perception is that his snooker has gone backwards over the last year. So why him?

A sound decision from Barry Hearn. Fast track those who the top people rate (like putting a certain Judd Trump in the PL).

Didn't do Stephen Hendry any hard ;-)

Postby Bourne

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Monique wrote:According to Luca Brecel FB page and to Maximumsnooker on twitter it seems that Luca Brecel got an MT wildcard and will not go to the Q-school.

A sound decision from Barry Hearn. Fast track those who the top people rate (like putting a certain Judd Trump in the PL).

Judd won CL in 09 and China this year :chin:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witz

he has no interest in coming back

he was doing the pool circuit not sure what hes at these days

im sure good ole Quinten is doing well for himself :hatoff:

Postby wheelsofsteel

Bourne wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

But remember, Barry makes the rules up as he goes along with qualification to the PL

If other players had won other events, Trump might not have appeared

Postby Witz78

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Bourne wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

But remember, Barry makes the rules up as he goes along with qualification to the PL

If other players had won other events, Trump might not have appeared

Selby aint in the PL next season :chuckle:

Postby Roland

Good. It's a pile of over rated rubbish. Selby will do good to miss it and focus on other events.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Sonny wrote:Good. It's a pile of over rated poo. Selby will do good to miss it and focus on other events.

Don't disagree. But it's a pile over over-rated cash to the finalists

Postby GJ

selby can have robbos place as he does crap all season when he plays in that BS event

Postby Roland

Yeah it's good money for what is in essence a pile of rubbish. If I was a player I'd like to play in it. But it doesn't mean it's any good, just a chance to make a lot of money.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Sonny wrote:Yeah it's good money for what is in essence a pile of poo. If I was a player I'd like to play in it. But it doesn't mean it's any good, just a chance to make a lot of money.

As the hooker said to the bishop ...

Postby Wildey

Bad decision

i agree with monique players should earn their spot and quite clearly after 3 or 4 attempts this season he failed to do it now he had a chance at Q School even if they would give him a wild card at the end of the Q School i think it would benefit him greatly to go through Q School and if he earned it of right he could go in to next season with confidence instead of a hand outs.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Wild wrote:Bad decision

i agree with monique players should earn their spot and quite clearly after 3 or 4 attempts this season he failed to do it now he had a chance at Q School even if they would give him a wild card at the end of the Q School i think it would benefit him greatly to go through Q School and if he earned it of right he could go in to next season with confidence instead of a hand outs.

Disagree. Sound business deicison. Get what could be your assets on to the Main Tour and let them sink or swim there, rather than getting bogged down qualifying.

Others are way behind or have lost the will to live playing qualifying events because the last Board at WS were 15 years behind in their thinking.

It's a totally commercial decision - the kind you can expect from someone who is complete control of the game.

Postby Wildey

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Wild wrote:Bad decision

Disagree. Sound business deicison. Get what could be your assets on to the Main Tour and let them sink or swim there, rather than getting bogged down qualifying.

Others are way behind or have lost the will to live playing qualifying events because the last Board at WS were 15 years behind in their thinking.

It's a totally commercial decision - the kind you can expect from someone who is complete control of the game.

whats the business decision get luca brecel in to snooker and let him play in qualifiers getting beaten by every tom sausage and no buck seeing him play...

yes sound business that is <doh>

Postby Wildey

anyway my point is this is the first season hes attempted to get on to the MT so let him go through all of the process required and if he gets on the MT via Q school great if he don't..... asses then if he will get a Wild Card or not.

Postby Witz78

but for the silly age restrictions Walker and co imposed, Brecel coulda been top 48 or 32 by now.

his careers taken a step back Monique id say laregely because of this delay in him getting onto the tour when he was clearly ready a few years ago when hed earned the right to be there.

hes kinda been in limbo till he turned 16 but now the time has come and its a 100% correct decision.

Look at the Wildcards last year, Einslie, Figuerido and Reanne. they werent picked purely on merit, there were other reasons. Wildcards are normally WILD and risky, but Brecel is a level above these ones and his selection is the right choice.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:but for the silly age restrictions Walker and co imposed, Brecel coulda been top 48 or 32 by now.

his careers taken a step back Monique id say laregely because of this delay in him getting onto the tour when he was clearly ready a few years ago when hed earned the right to be there.

hes kinda been in limbo till he turned 16 but now the time has come and its a 100% correct decision.

Look at the Wildcards last year, Einslie, Figuerido and Reanne. they werent picked purely on merit, there were other reasons. Wildcards are normally WILD and risky, but Brecel is a level above these ones and his selection is the right choice.

or he could have been struggling in the lower range of the pros and fallen off tour already due to the ranking system.

now is a better time to turn pro than in the 6 or 7 ranking tournament season walker had.

but he should go through qualifying school the experience there would benefit him surely and if he cant gain one of the 12 spots there he would start to learn whats needed to succeed at snooker.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:Is WIld Lee Doyle and Rodney Walker rolled into one? :chin:

yeh for a man called WILD he seems to despise WILDcards full stop <doh>

yes i hate wild cards

i think they cop out of talent and ability and success.

but if people would just look at what i said wouldn't it be better that Luca has a goal this season and that goal is to get on tour using his ability and skill rather than get a cop out Wild Card..

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

yes i hate wild cards

but if people would just look at what i said wouldn't it be better that Luca has a goal this season and that goal is to get on tour using his ability and skill rather than get a cop out Wild Card..

he has a goal now, stay on tour intially <ok>

then rise up the rankings :bowdown:

then challenge Judd for the title of best player of this decade :bowdown: :win:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

yes i hate wild cards

he has a goal now, stay on tour intially <ok>

then rise up the rankings :bowdown:

then challenge Judd for the title of best player of this decade :bowdown: :win:

no hes been given his place now he thinks he just has to turn up and players will roll over for him because hes luca brecel just like World Snooker has.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Brecel Hater !!

not at all if hes good enough 12 places should be his ffs not to mention real matchplay practice along the way who knows we could have had Knowles v Brecel what a generation gap that would be.

if he lost to knowles hes obviously nowhere near ready <laugh>

Postby Steve K

Brecel has failed to impress this season in the EPTC events and against Jack Lisowski in the German Masters wildcard round. If he was let on the tour any earlier I doubt he would of stayed on.

Postby Monique

Steve K wrote:Brecel has failed to impress this season in the EPTC events and against Jack Lisowski in the German Masters wildcard round. If he was let on the tour any earlier I doubt he would of stayed on.

And I strongly doubt that he will stay on. Not to mention that I would not be surprised if he got himself in trouble with the authorities soon.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Steve K wrote:Brecel has failed to impress this season in the EPTC events and against Jack Lisowski in the German Masters wildcard round. If he was let on the tour any earlier I doubt he would of stayed on.

And I strongly doubt that he will stay on. Not to mention that I would not be surprised if he got himself in trouble with the authorities soon.

what makes you so dubious as to his abilities to stay on the tour?

do you think hes went off the rails to an extent or had his ego got too big too quick :chuckle: