Post a reply

Irish National Championships

Postby John From London Town

I’ve entered this Tournament which is taking place this week-end in the Ivy Rooms in Co. Carlow.
Link here.... http://www.ribsa.ie/Seniors_10/Seniors_ ... 02011.html

As you will see, up to now, there are 95 players who have entered. One of whom is someone who I have starting practicing with on a regular basis, getting a good hiding too, that is Colm Gilcreest. Colm reached the final qualifying of the World’s in 2000, getting beat by Bill Snaddon 10-6 & also got beat in the final of the World Amateur Championships in 2008. He’s flying. The winner of this comp automatically gets entered into the 2011 World Amateur Championships. RIBSA (Republic of Ireland Billiards & Snooker Association) usually stream these Championships. There are a couple of other ex-Pro’s playing as well. (Anyone spot them?) If they do show the streaming, I’ll try & add the link & if you are at loose end, feel free to click on the website & watch.

I don’t hold out any aspirations for doing well in this myself, don’t get me wrong, I’ll be trying as hard as I can & whoever draws me will have a tough match on their hands, I’m just looking for match practice as I’m entering the Irish National Intermediate Championships & also the Irish National Masters (Over 40’s) Championships which are also being played in May, in Co. Carlow too.

Anyone else on here playing in this Tournament or any others? I wish you well if you are.

All the Best,

John McBride

Re: Irish National Championships

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:Does John Higgins qualify through his father Alex?

rofl

Postby Witz78

John From London Town wrote:
Witz78 wrote:other ex-pros

the only other names that ring a bell to me are

Hogan
Goggins
Muldoon
and O'Donoghue

There are a couple of others in there Witz. Good spot so far.

Jason Devaney rings a bell from somewhere

Joe Delaney obviously too, musta missed him 1st time i looked down the list

Postby Wildey

ex pros i remember

David Hogan
Colm Gilcreest
Rodney Goggins
Vincent Muldoon
Brendan O' Donoghue
Dessie Sheehan
John Mc Bride :-D
Joe Delaney (lets be honest joe is more than a ex pro he is the WN81)

Wild wrote:ex pros i remember

David Hogan
Colm Gilcreest
Rodney Goggins
Vincent Muldoon
Brendan O' Donoghue
Dessie Sheehan

Very good wild. That is a different Joe Delaney, who is a fine player that has represented Ireland all around the world. Still does too. There's at least one more in there...

Postby SnookerFan

David Hogan
Colm Gilcreest
Rodney Goggins
Vincent Muldoon
Brendan O' Donoghue
Dessie Sheehan

That match with Matthew Stevens, at The Crucible, he played like he was World Ranked 8100, rather then 81.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:

David Hogan
Colm Gilcreest
Rodney Goggins
Vincent Muldoon
Brendan O' Donoghue
Dessie Sheehan

That match with Matthew Stevens, at The Crucible, he played like he was World Ranked 8100, rather then 81.

remember that one even stevens couldt choke in that one

rofl rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:remember that one even stevens couldt choke in that one

rofl rofl rofl

I was at that match at The Crucible. <laugh> I've never seen anybody pot the cue ball so many times in a match.

Postby Wildey

David Hogan
Colm Gilcreest
Rodney Goggins
Vincent Muldoon
Brendan O' Donoghue
Dessie Sheehan

Very good wild. That is a different Joe Delaney, who is a fine player that has represented Ireland all around the world. Still does too. There's at least one more in there...

there are 2 joe Delaney :chin:

i bet hes gutted Joe Delaney never reached the top he might have got the cash <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:there are 2 joe Delaney :chin:

i bet hes gutted Joe Delaney never reached the top he might have got the cash <laugh>

I'm hoping for a Joe Delaney vs Joe Delaney match to be randomly drawn at next year's World Open.

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:there are 2 joe Delaney :chin:

I'm hoping for a Joe Delaney vs Joe Delaney match to be randomly drawn at next year's World Open.

Id' like left-handed Ronnie v right-handed Ronnie

Postby gallantrabbit

Hey John,

If Paul Ennis never turned pro he was certainly a good amateur if my memory serves me well.
Good luck mate. Gotta love competing again!!

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Hey John,

If Paul Ennis never turned pro he was certainly a good amateur if my memory serves me well.

Though, the Eurosport score boards would've read P Ennis.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Hey John,

Cheers gallant. Its a different Paul Ennis tho your memory is right, quality player he was too.

god there's snooker players being cloned all over the shop <laugh>

Postby Witz78

thought you mighta been lucky and got a bye to the last 64 mate.

personally im right behind this myserious Paul ? guy to win it haha

Just back from practicing for a few hours. The club I was practicing in, in Navan, was busy I'm pleased to say. There were a good half dozen players in there who are playing in the comp tomorrow too. All playing, all with their heads down working away, bless them. One came over, asked me if I was John & he said if you win your first match & he pointed to another fella, obviously his mate, & said of he wins his first match, we're drawn against each other. I said "Really". :-)

So....I'm on the table tomorrow @ 12 noon. I've been a good boy so far, only just now opened a can, so I'll keep the discipline working & have an early night as I've a two hour drive ahead of me in the morning.

Anyone else out there playing in any comps? Good luck to you if you are.

Postby Wildey

John From London Town wrote:Just back from practicing for a few hours. The club I was practicing in, in Navan, was busy I'm pleased to say. There were a good half dozen players in there who are playing in the comp tomorrow too. All playing, all with their heads down working away, bless them. One came over, asked me if I was John & he said if you win your first match & he pointed to another fella, obviously his mate, & said of he wins his first match, we're drawn against each other. I said "Really". :-)

So....I'm on the table tomorrow @ 12 noon. I've been a good boy so far, only just now opened a can, so I'll keep the discipline working & have an early night as I've a two hour drive ahead of me in the morning.

Anyone else out there playing in any comps? Good luck to you if you are.

good luck john <ok>